Shula name coming down from Miami Lakes hotel and restaurant | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula name coming down from Miami Lakes hotel and restaurant

fin4life69

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They announced this on what would be Shula’s 92nd birthday.

The Graham family, the main developers of Miami Lakes, are removing Don Shula’s name from places like the hotel and golf club, the steakhouse and sports bar.

No one from the Shula family was involved in the business anymore. David was the GM for a long time but he left to return to coaching a few years ago at Dartmouth. Mike is the QB coach with the Broncos and Shula‘s widow doesn’t own any of the business.
I assume the Graham business was still paying to use the Shula name and they obviously feel that they no longer need the Shula name on the restaurant and golf course to be successful.

The Golf course will continue to be a good course to play as long as they keep it maintained properly. The restaurant is probably the top steak restaurant in Miami Dade County and will likely remain the best steak restaurant with or without the Shula name.

They might lose a few customers who came into town and specifically wanted to play golf or eat at a place they thought Shula owned but I don’t see the name change affecting the locale customers at all.

How many Shula Steakhouses are there? I ate at one in the 2000’s is that the only one? I’

Who is this Shula fellow?

Was he a janitor or bus driver for the team?

:ponder:

Lol

At one time there were 32 Shula restaurants around the nation. Not all were steakhouses but a mixture of casual and fine dining restaurants. That was the number in 2015 but I have no idea how many of those restaurants are still open or still carry the Shula name.

At one time there were 32 Shula restaurants around the nation. Not all were steakhouses but a mixture of casual and fine dining restaurants. That was the number in 2015 but I have no idea how many of those restaurants are still open or still carry the Shula name.
There was one not far from my place in Allentown, PA. It closed a few years back. Not sure why...

No one from the Shula family was involved in the business anymore. David was the GM for a long time but he left to return to coaching a few years ago at Dartmouth. Mike is the QB coach with the Broncos and Shula‘s widow doesn’t own any of the business.
I assume the Graham business was still paying to use the Shula name and they obviously feel that they no longer need the Shula name on the restaurant and golf course to be successful.

The Golf course will continue to be a good course to play as long as they keep it maintained properly. The restaurant is probably the top steak restaurant in Miami Dade County and will likely remain the best steak restaurant with or without the Shula name.

They might lose a few customers who came into town and specifically wanted to play golf or eat at a place they thought Shula owned but I don’t see the name change affecting the locale customers at all.

It's not going to make them go out of business or lose a lot, but they probably will face public backlash to some degree. It's iconic.

Back
Top Bottom