Shula name coming down from Miami Lakes hotel and restaurant | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula name coming down from Miami Lakes hotel and restaurant

Unless they were having to continue to pay his estate to use the name, and even then how much could they really be paying, this was colossally stupid on their part. Shula is an iconic brand name in Miami, not even just to Dolphins fans. You ever grow up somewhere hearing a street name your whole life without even knowing who the person it's named after was? It's like that. The name Shula is bigger than just the coach of the Dolphins. But moreover, for Dolphins fans, whenever I go to Miami for a game, I'd always make it a point to go to establishments associated with the team. Just like I eat at Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza because of Dan. Yeah, the food is good, but there's good food everywhere. I think they'll be surprised at the amount of business they lose as a result from Dolphins fans. I'll never forget the menu printed on a football!

There was one not far from my place in Allentown, PA. It closed a few years back. Not sure why...
Evidently, the franchise owner broke his lease at an upscale mall location and moved to a center city location. He didn't do enough business, closed down, and owed money. There's a big revitalization program going on there for many years now, but it's basically just putting lipstick on a pig. Some people think that putting high-priced restaurants and shops in a one step up from a ghetto neighborhood full of crime is a financially sound idea. Actually, it was a big money-maker... for some of the businesses! They were given tax dollars to build their business and huge tax breaks.

Evidently, the franchise owner broke his lease at an upscale mall location and moved to a center city location. He didn't do enough business, closed down, and owed money. There's a big revitalization program going on there for many years now, but it's basically just putting lipstick on a pig. Some people think that putting high-priced restaurants and shops in a one step up from a ghetto neighborhood full of crime is a financially sound idea. Actually, it was a big money-maker... for some of the businesses! They were given tax dollars to build their business and huge tax breaks.

There are a lot of vacant shops at The Promenade. Was there a few weeks ago. One of my offices is about 10 minutes from there. The second location in center city was doomed to fail, no one in that neighborhood is dropping over $100 for dinner, and the people who could afford it weren't stepping into that neighborhood. I still have a $100 gift card for Shula's I never used... :(

Used to visit it every time we were in Miami, good food, informal dress code, nice atmosphere and loved the theming.
I’m not sure my once every 5 year visits will have affected their bottom line but we did once have a table across from the great man himself who made a point of visiting every table after his meal, up until then no one pestered him for autographs (selfies weren’t invented).
Great place.
Plenty of other steak restaurants, so I won’t return (cue the sound of new ownership sobbing)

I’m gonna miss it. I fly down to two games a year and the Saturday night before the game was a staple for me. The vibe there was comforting. It felt special, like it was Dolphins country and any other fan there were out of place because it was ours. Food wasn’t the greatest but still very good cuisine, although not eclectic. Anyway, I feel pretty empty about this happening, another change in life that I will greatly miss

I was lucky enough to go to a exclusive meet and greet before the big opening of Shula's Steakhouse in a Hotel in Jersey across from the Airport.

Met Shula, Lynn Swann, and Ottis Anderson that day, thanks to a Salesman Friend of mine that worked at the company I work at. Had a great time. Shame they will be taking the Shula Brand name, won't be the same.

Who the **** let these people around? Remove themselves damnit
The Graham family has been been around in the South Florida community and specifically the Miami Lakes area since the 1930’s. Bob Graham was also a former Governor and Senator In the state of Florida.

So they were around long before Shula was in South Florida and will likely be around long after the rest of us are no longer using up oxygen.

I
The Graham family has been been around in the South Florida community and specifically the Miami Lakes area since the 1930’s. Bob Graham was also a former Governor and Senator In the state of Florida.

So they were around long before Shula was in South Florida and will likely be around long after the rest of us are no longer using up oxygen.

I did not connect the name at first. You are right , they are old money

I played that course with a friend who lived on it a few times. Very nice.

There use to be a lighted par 3 course across the street from the driving range that was a blast to play at night

I

I did not connect the name at first. You are right , they are old money

I played that course with a friend who lived on it a few times. Very nice.

There use to be a lighted par 3 course across the street from the driving range that was a blast to play at night
I have played the course at least 100 times and played the par 3 course back in the day. Unfortunately the arthritis in my back and right knee has prevented me from playing golf for over a year. Golf has always been my second favorite sport behind football and not being able to play after playing since age 10, sucks.

Well tht explains it. Thanks

Well...yeah, most family lines will exist longer than individuals regardless of status.

Back
Top Bottom