SI on Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI on Miami

pogues

Practice Squad
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2003/05/19/mmqb/

1. I think the most interesting team to watch come September will be Miami. Fans are already chiding Jay Fiedler, reminding him that Brian Griese's just around the corner. You have all these Pro Bowlers trying to mesh together on defense. You have the pressure on Dave Wannstedt to win now. As good a record as he's had at Miami in the regular season, he'd better do more than finish 11-5 with a first-round loss -- or Wayne Huizenga might give him a nice golden parachute. I like the fact that Junior Seau has already brought his unique hatred-of-losing style to the Fish. In one minicamp practice, the defense was charged with stopping the offense in the red zone. The offense didn't score. Seau came off the field livid. The problem? Seau felt, and made it known, the defense did nothing to stop the offense; the offense stopped itself. There was nothing to be proud of. You don't see a lot of that in minicamp practices. Maybe from Ray Lewis. Maybe from Carl Banks a few years ago. But most guys just want to get through minicamp without getting hurt. Junior Seau wants to win minicamp.

2. I think the toughest decision this year for the people who pretend to know what they're doing while predicting the order of finish in the NFL (such as me) will be to pick Nos. 1-4 in the AFC East. I can honestly say that, beyond Miami going No. 1 or 2, I'm totally clueless. I might pick Buffalo. I might pick the Pats. I might pick the Jets. Really, how do you know?

9. I think one of the most interesting stories to follow over the next few months is the Peyton Manning contract situation. He's entering the final year of his deal with the Colts. He'll look at the inability of the team to build a consistent defense. He'll look at the resources in shaky Indianapolis. He'll look at the shaky ownership. He'll look at the stadium problems there. Perhaps he'll think: Why should I commit to this team for the next eight or 10 years when I have no idea when I'm committing to? Now, Manning will never, ever come out and question any of that publicly. But actions speak louder than words. If the Colts and Manning don't have a deal done by midseason, you know what he's thinking.

It's still a nice thought ;).

I would personally have Manning over Griese next year. But thats just me.

Good short from King even though I normally think he's a idiot minus a village.

Originally posted by IceStorm

I like King's writing. I think he's a homer for the Northeast too much and he writes about his kids' h.s. sports too much, but I still enjoy his columns.

Barring individuals who have to live in padded rooms and eat soft foods...who wouldn't want Manning over Griese, Fiedler, or 29 other NFL starters?

Even if Manning becomes available, the will use him as trade bait, you are going to have to give up 2 firsts for him.

I would definitel give up two firsts for Manning

No, that's not just you.

my oh my, the Griese-Jay controversy hasn't even started yet and you guys are already talking about Manning...lol Oh well, we did have peace for 17 years so this was bound to happen to us!

I'm excited too to see how media is going to jump over the Fiedler-Griese situation. How finfans are going to find a way to boo Fiedler in favor of Griese. It won't be fun for finfans but the rest of the AFCE fans will have a blast. :D

Actually I remember people during Marino's days who were calling for a more mobile QB. I even remember a QB controversy with Scott Mitchell

There no way Fins can afford Manning but who wouldn't want to have Manning.

there is no way we could pay peyton manning, forget about it and if griese comes in , i will not bash fiedler, he is our qb, i expect a big season from him, like last year when we were top 3 with 28 points a game, till he got hurt......

Back
Top Bottom