Sign Leonard Fournette | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sign Leonard Fournette

Bold prediction. There has to be a loss of confidence in Jordan Howard and a commitment to paying Fournette beyond this season for this to occur.
Agree. I will be amazed, and disappointed, if we sign Fournette.

Agree. I will be amazed, and disappointed, if we sign Fournette.
Why we trying win..he is good back..we got money as well..tua need big time back help him out. While Tua adjusts to pros...

Jags are doing a 2019/20 Dolphins style rebuild

Again

Also a decent receiver out of the backfield and can pass block too. To be honest if Miami had Fournette and Jordan Howard on the roster I would be more intrigued by Fournette. Although I believe Howard has better career numbers at this point.

Jags are doing a 2019/20 Dolphins style rebuild

Again
Exactly! Despite the erstwhile love for the mediocre Gardner Minchew, they're tanking for Trevor and it's a full blown tank to get more Draftpicks and have $ in their free agent back pocket.

Yeah you don’t claim him and pick up that contract or what’s left of it.

you let him hit the street and sign him for dirt. I betcha thats the real issue here. The money

tbat said I dont see Flores making this move

He's in the last year of his rookie deal and it's only $4.1 million. I don't see how he's going to get through waivers.

The Jags are trying to set up to have the first pick in the 2021 draft. They traded their best defensive player yesterday and cut their best offensive player today. I guess they didn’t want to risk having the worst record in the NFL and losing out on being able to draft Lawrence. I really don’t see them winning more than 2 games this year and a record of 0-16 isn’t beyond the realm of possibility.

The Jags are trying to set up to have the first pick in the 2021 draft. They traded their best defensive player yesterday and cut their best offensive player today. I guess they didn’t want to risk having the worst record in the NFL and losing out on being able to draft Lawrence. I really don’t see them winning more than 2 games this year and a record of 0-16 isn’t beyond the realm of possibility.
They are gonna have to beat the Pats for that pick.

Kelly: No reason Dolphins shouldn’t claim recently released tailback Leonard Fournette | Commentary

Since the Miami Dolphins are still in the collecting talent stage of this franchise’s rebuild, there’s no reason they shouldn’t put in a waiver claim on recently released tailback Leonard Fournette.
While the Dolphins have two starting caliber tailbacks in Jordan Howard and Matt Breida, both player’s injury history hints that Miami could use another front-line talent to supplement the tailback unit and enhance the rushing attack.
And Fournette has certainly proven his worth the past three seasons, rushing for 2,631 yards and scoring 17 rushing touchdowns on the 666 carries he’s had in the 33 games he’s played in the past three seasons.
Last season Fournette finished with a career-best 1,152 rushing yards on 4.3 yards a carry and three touchdowns. He also led the Jacksonville Jaguars in receptions (76) and added 522 receiving yards to his totals.

The 24-year-old has caught 134 passes for 1,009 yards and two touchdowns during his tenure with the Jaguars, which released the disgruntled tailback they’ve been trying to trade the entire offseason.
[Most Read Dolphins Coverage] Miami Dolphins QB Ryan Fitzpatrick returns despite grieving his deceased mother »
The Dolphins are fifth on the waiver wire claim order, which mirrors the 2020 NFL draft at this point. That means the Cincinnati Bengals, Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions and New York Giants would have to pass on Fournette for Miami to secure the former LSU standout and his contract. But anything is possible now that he’s up for grabs if the Jaguars formally release him instead of trading him to another team, like Miami tried to do with Kalen Ballage. He was supposed to be released last week but ended up being traded to the New York Jets — before failing a physical to nix the deal.
Fournette is slated to earn $4,167,393 in the final year of his rookie deal as the No. 4 pick of the 2017 NFL draft, and he carries a $8.63 million cap hit because of the $17.8 million signing bonus he received for Jacksonville.
Considering the Dolphins have $24 million in cap space leftover from this offseason’s spending spree, Miami could easily carry that charge without creating a financial burden. Plus, the compensatory pick Miami could acquire for losing Fournette as a free agent if he signed elsewhere in 2021 is a bonus.
The Jaguars declined Fournette’s fifth-year option earlier this offseason, meaning that the back is primed to hit the open market in 2021. To maximize his value he’ll need to have a productive 2020 season and must clean up his image as a malcontent in Jacksonville.
So there’s very little downside to claiming Fournette, especially considering Miami had the NFL’s worst rushing attack last season and have four other tailbacks on short-term deals that feature very little financial commitment.

“All [the tailbacks] are capable — competitive guys,” Dolphins coach Brian Flores said. “They are all different styles of backs.....They are a hard working group. A competitive group. Those are the things I’m looking for.”
But what about game-changing talent?

That’s what a healthy Fournette has been.
Adding Fournette to the fold would simply provide the Dolphins some insurance and a possible upgrade from Myles Gaskin, a 2019 seventh-round pick who has had a strong training camp, and Patrick Laird, a former California standout who made Miami’s 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie.
Flores envisions the Dolphins being a physical team that can consistently run the ball, and that’s exactly the opposite of what they were last season.
That’s why claiming Fournette could go a long way toward helping Miami deliver that type of rushing attack and being the tough, physical team Flores hopes the Dolphins will become.
Very nice write up with facts to support your position. I look at our prior cuts for absence of a “Team first” personality and do not see him fitting in.
But as you point out, he has to clear 4 other teams first. Then we will see what Flores thinks

He's in the last year of his rookie deal and it's only $4.1 million. I don't see how he's going to get through waivers.
Rb are not getting paid that much money..top 10 salary. If he is good I pay him. If he ain't good than I draft one next yr..i dont have problem running a Dallas cowboys offense until Tua is ready totally become top qb in nfl..

Back
Top Bottom