Signing Our Own In FA Will Leave Us Lots Of Cap Space | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Signing Our Own In FA Will Leave Us Lots Of Cap Space

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I am very surprised that Omar, and other Dolphin media do not know, or bother to research, cap info before writing about it, especially for next year. They have been writing that Phans should not get excited about having $40-50M in cap space next off season because if we sign our own players, the money will be gone, based on Long getting $10-15M, Smith getting up to $10M a year, etc, etc.

This is simply not true. In most cases, the average of what any player signs for is entirely different than what the cap hit will be in the first or following years. This does not apply to players franchised and one year deals.

For a VG example, let's take a look at the Dansby deal. Many fans are up in arms because He costs the team $13.8M this year in cap space. How the hell is he worth that? He isn't.

However, he did not get that money every year. Big difference if we look closer at the contract, and cap hits, from 2010, when the deal was done. Dansby got an $11.6M signing bonus on his 5 year deal. The cap hit is split up over the term of the contract. So, he costs $2.3M each year, which is added to his yearly salary.

In 2010, his salary was $4.8M. Add that to the $2.3 (pro-rated bonus), and he had a cap number of $7.1M.

In 2011, his salary was $2.7M, a $5M cap hit.

In 2012, his salary is $8.8M, a $13.8 cap hit.

In 2013, his salary will be $6M, an $8.3 cap hit.

In 2014, his salary will be $9M, which he unlikely will ever see. That last year will likely be renegotiated, or he will be cut or traded.

There are MANY other examples I can list. So, don't buy in to what the media is saying, as it is no more than half truths. JMO, based on fact.

The Cap game is a balancing act and lots of planning for the future. We can sign all these guys and maybe one or two FAs if we choose with great planning around the cap. We have some toher guys coming up next year as well that will need to be resigned as well. That is why back loading is popular is you can cut players and lose alot of the salary they would earn like Dansby. But knowing the growth of the cap and giving Long and Smith big first year contracts will give them smaller ones in the years after if that is the way they choose to go. Any good accountant should and could make this work.

Youre talking about the same clowns who couldnt do the simple research that took me 30 min to do in order to discover that David Garrard was a fraud, who planned to scam the franchise out of a million dollar signing bonus, with no intentions of ever playing a down of football.

Dolphins Front office = Ass Clowns.

Can you give us all examples on cap signings, and where they made mistakes? Based on your post, I somehow doubt it. :)

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

hahaha true enough

Join in with examples, IF ya can, which I doubt. :)

Dawn Aponte is far from a Class Clown tough guy.

She is recognized as one one the very best in the NFL, if not the best. The cap is expected to rise in 2014, due to the increased TV revenue. Teams can very easily pay more then, as opposed to next year. It's not a difficult thing to do. Players care about guaranteed money but, not that it's paid now or next year, or later.

Guess they believe the NFL is good for it. LOL

As long as the team improves I am happy, I dont know enough about cap space and how money is distrubited to speak about it, but I want us to bring in better players and WIN!

She is recognized as one one the very best in the NFL, if not the best. The cap is expected to rise in 2014, due to the increased TV revenue. Teams can very easily pay more then, as opposed to next year. It's not a difficult thing to do. Players care about guaranteed money but, not that it's paid now or next year, or later.

Guess they believe the NFL is good for it. LOL
Not what I've read.
The NFL's new CBA is just one year old and there are many new quirks executives must work through. But the main issue that all teams must deal with in the coming years is that the salary cap is not going to significantly increase. The cap pretty much stayed the same this year -- going from $120.375 million in 2011 to $120.6 million -- and there are indications it will remain flat next year. Therefore, if organizations have executed contracts with hefty increases for many players, there is no way they can keep the team together.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...p-will-force-nfl-teams-to-restructure-rosters

I've also read somewhere that it would remain relatively flat through 2015.

Youre talking about the same clowns who couldnt do the simple research that took me 30 min to do in order to discover that David Garrard was a fraud, who planned to scam the franchise out of a million dollar signing bonus, with no intentions of ever playing a down of football.

I've never heard this, but it is intriguing. Care to go into detail?

Don't know why I bother to respond, other than a LMAO!!!

Back
Top Bottom