Signing Our Own In FA Will Leave Us Lots Of Cap Space | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Signing Our Own In FA Will Leave Us Lots Of Cap Space

Can you give us all examples on cap signings, and where they made mistakes? Based on your post, I somehow doubt it. :)

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Join in with examples, IF ya can, which I doubt. :)
won't happen. He's "good" for a abrasive one-liner, then runs off to masturbate to tom brady and rex ryan foot photos.

won't happen. He's "good" for a abrasive one-liner, then runs off to masturbate to tom brady and rex ryan foot photos.

LOL!!! Funny how some post for a few seconds of shame in showing how much they don't know.

Something else to consider on re-signing Starks. Soliai's contract for $6M a year expires next year, and that money could be used for Starks as well. IF you had a choice of keeping Starks to go with Odrick at DT, with maybe McD, would you do that rather than keeping Soliai?

Something else to consider on re-signing Starks. Soliai's contract for $6M a year expires next year, and that money could be used for Starks as well. IF you had a choice of keeping Starks to go with Odrick at DT, with maybe McD, would you do that rather than keeping Soliai?
I'm keeping Starks and Soliai...McDaniels is costing us $4 million right now...he walks and we use that money to re-sign Starks...draft a DE, move Odrick back to DT and pair him up with Randall.

I'm keeping Starks and Soliai...McDaniels is costing us $4 million right now...he walks and we use that money to re-sign Starks...draft a DE, move Odrick back to DT and pair him up with Randall.

I like that idea the best. A question would be on playing time for Pee Wee. IF we believe he is going to be that good, he has to be on the field, and maybe Starks or Soliai would have to go to get that done. Just some food for thought.

I don't think those numbers are correct. First off his deal was a 5 year, $43 million deal. Spotrac's own cap numbers for the full deal add up to only $40.1 million. If a contract pays the man $43 million over 5 years, then one way or another every single penny of that $43 million will be expensed against the salary cap.

Either way Dansby's average salary is $8.6 million and his first year cap figure was probably about $7 million which is a normal discount.

Back to the original topic...ehem...

Here are my estimates for how much money the following players will want to average in their contracts:

1. OT Jake Long - $12 million
2. CB Sean Smith - $8 million
3. DT Randy Starks - $7 million
4. RB Reggie Bush - $6 million
5. WR Brian Hartline - $5 million
6. TE Anthony Fasano - $4 million

That adds up to $42 million. You might squeeze a penny less out of one or two of them, but most of them will have already been squeezed pretty hard just to get there.

Do teams discount the first year? Yes. They do. I would estimate that first year salary cap figures will be about 80% of the average figures. But that still gets you to $34 million in cap hit to re-sign all those players, and then the other $6 million of the $40 million planned under the cap will be needed for rookies.

So yeah, unless the Dolphins start making choices about which players they're OK with losing, it does look like they won't have the money to go out there and hit free agency.

screw free agency, just draft well

The dolphins should have 6 picks in the Top 112 or whatever selections next draft.

This isn't to say the Dolphins can't make other moves. Trading Matt Moore for a 4th or 5th and parlaying that for a trade (similar to the Reggie Bush trade where a player with a high ceiling can be had due to unforeseen circumstances currently & wants to come here on a decent contract, I'm all for doing )

screw free agency, just draft well

The dolphins should have 6 picks in the Top 112 or whatever selections next draft.

This isn't to say the Dolphins can't make other moves. Trading Moore for a 4th or 5th and parlaying that for a trade (similar to the Reggie Bush trade where a player with a high ceiling can be had due to unforeseen circumstances currently, I'm all for doing )

If you go ahead and re-sign all those guys, and you can't do anything in free agency, then yeah you had better draft well, and quickly, because I don't think this team has the talent or depth to win a championship.

LOL!!! Funny how some post for a few seconds of shame in showing how much they don't know.

Few seconds of shame?? You mean the person who agreed with you in the second post? Are you mr. Know-it-all? Pretty sure I was one of the few who ever stood by many of our moves. Now we win a few games and we have the greatest FO ever? Sure you can play Internet tough guy

Back to the original topic...ehem...

Here are my estimates for how much money the following players will want to average in their contracts:

1. OT Jake Long - $12 million
2. CB Sean Smith - $8 million
3. DT Randy Starks - $7 million
4. RB Reggie Bush - $6 million
5. WR Brian Hartline - $5 million
6. TE Anthony Fasano - $4 million

That adds up to $42 million. You might squeeze a penny less out of one or two of them, but most of them will have already been squeezed pretty hard just to get there.

Do teams discount the first year? Yes. They do. I would estimate that first year salary cap figures will be about 80% of the average figures. But that still gets you to $34 million in cap hit to re-sign all those players, and then the other $6 million of the $40 million planned under the cap will be needed for rookies.

So yeah, unless the Dolphins start making choices about which players they're OK with losing, it does look like they won't have the money to go out there and hit free agency.

Nice run down. I think you're on the money with the average contracts of the six players.

Based on available info, I believe we will have at least $50M in cap space available next year. The team could add to the pro-rated signing bonus or guarantee salary money in the second and third year, using the projected cap increases, to free up space for next year as well.

IMO, we can sign our own, and a couple of quality FA's, IF the team wants to, without creating future cap problems.

Nice run down. I think you're on the money with the average contracts of the six players.

Based on available info, I believe we will have at least $50M in cap space available next year. The team could add to the pro-rated signing bonus or guarantee salary money in the second and third year, using the projected cap increases, to free up space for next year as well.

IMO, we can sign our own, and a couple of quality FA's, IF the team wants to, without creating future cap problems.

I'm just curious, how did you come by that number? Last I heard the Dolphins had about $80 million (a little more, actually) in contracts for 2013, and the salary cap in 2012 is $120 million. To my knowledge, a large jump in the salary cap is not planned until 2014 when television contracts get renegotiated. In fact, the NFL and NFLPA had to do some scrambling just to prevent the salary cap from declining from 2011 to 2012.

I'm just curious, how did you come by that number? Last I heard the Dolphins had about $80 million (a little more, actually) in contracts for 2013, and the salary cap in 2012 is $120 million. To my knowledge, a large jump in the salary cap is not planned until 2014 when television contracts get renegotiated. In fact, the NFL and NFLPA had to do some scrambling just to prevent the salary cap from declining from 2011 to 2012.
I've heard anywhere from $40 - $65 million in cap space ck. I don't think anyone knows for sure. I think we get rid of some dead money next year as well but I don't know how much that plays into the cap space.

Few seconds of shame?? You mean the person who agreed with you in the second post? Are you mr. Know-it-all? Pretty sure I was one of the few who ever stood by many of our moves. Now we win a few games and we have the greatest FO ever? Sure you can play Internet tough guy

This thread was about the available cap space our team has, and our ability to sign FA's next year. Maybe you saw our FO = ASS CLOWNS adding to the discussion. I did not, and posted my opinion. Nothing to do with know it all or tough guy.

Back
Top Bottom