Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since we now have a significant stockpile of draft picks, does it make that much difference if we start winning a few gamws?

Are you serious? Early in his career he had two pro bowl players, and a guy that's still hanging on in this league.

That Dolphins O-line required an upgrade, this one requires an overhaul.
Sometimes facts get in the way of a narrative...

Are you serious? Early in his career he had two pro bowl players, and a guy that's still hanging on in this league.

That Dolphins O-line required an upgrade, this one requires an overhaul.

So 2 pro bowl players equals a good OL?.

Sometimes I'm in absolute awe at the things Iearn around here.

I’m fine with not getting the 1st puck if the team and Rosen show progress. The 1st pick QBs are rarely successful anyways. It’s more about the team that is around the QB.
24 QB's picked 1st overall since 1970. 7 won at least 1 Super Bowl.

24 QB's picked 1st overall since 1970. 7 won at least 1 Super Bowl.
2/18 since 1990.

0/16 for guys not named Manning.

Peyton is a legend, Eli is a legend to me for beating the Pats twice but let's be real. He played on some teams that were solidly built in the trenches.

2/18 since 1990.

0/16 for guys not named Manning.

Peyton is a legend, Eli is a legend to me for beating the Pats twice but let's be real. He played on some teams that were solidly built in the trenches.

And Eli also had some fantastic playoff runs his 9 TD's during the 2011 playoffs are 5th most in NFL playoff series history. The only QB's who have more are Brady, Montana, Warner and Flacco.

FYI non QB players drafted 1st overall since 1990 only 3 have won a SB 3/12. LT Orlando Pace, DT Russel Maryland, and Keyshawn Johnson. Maryland and Johnson weren't even top 5 players on their respective teams.

How is this even a question ? Yes - it matters. Not only do we need a QB but massive upgrades all around most importantly it the OL. It makes no difference if you have a generational talent if you can’t protect him! Look at the careers of Andrew Luck (would have been certain HOF) and what’s happening to Deshaun Watson.

I think it does. A couple of decades ago there were two QB's side by side at the top of the draft. The team that drafted first chose the guy generally regarded as the better pick, Peyton Manning. The team with the second pick took the guy just below him but also rated extremely high …. Ryan Leaf. That's the difference between winning and losing the 1st overall pick. It' doesn't always work out that way, but that's exactly why you want to be picking 1st overall rather than 2nd or 3rd overall. IMHO, there are 3 good QB's coming out, none is a sure-thing, but given my druthers, I'd prefer to be drafting 1st overall. Long story short, let's just soak up those losses this year and keep our heads high, we're enduring the pain now for the gain over the next decade.

I think it does. A couple of decades ago there were two QB's side by side at the top of the draft. The team that drafted first chose the guy generally regarded as the better pick, Peyton Manning. The team with the second pick took the guy just below him but also rated extremely high …. Ryan Leaf. That's the difference between winning and losing the 1st overall pick. It' doesn't always work out that way, but that's exactly why you want to be picking 1st overall rather than 2nd or 3rd overall. IMHO, there are 3 good QB's coming out, none is a sure-thing, but given my druthers, I'd prefer to be drafting 1st overall. Long story short, let's just soak up those losses this year and keep our heads high, we're enduring the pain now for the gain over the next decade.

Don't disagree, but don't ignore "generally regarded." There were a number of 'experts' who regarded Leaf as the better pick. There is a chance the team who 'won' the 1st pick chose Leaf. And don't forget Trubisky was considered the 'better QB' over Mahomes. I'm NOT arguing Miami doesn't have a better shot at an elite QB with a #1 pick, nor am I arguing I don't WANT an elite QB. Just reminding some (not you personally) who say Tua or pick-a-name WILL be elite that NFL history is full of 'elite backups.' I much prefer 'most likely' or 'should be.'

Don't disagree, but don't ignore "generally regarded." There were a number of 'experts' who regarded Leaf as the better pick. There is a chance the team who 'won' the 1st pick chose Leaf. And don't forget Trubisky was considered the 'better QB' over Mahomes. I'm NOT arguing Miami doesn't have a better shot at an elite QB with a #1 pick, nor am I arguing I don't WANT an elite QB. Just reminding some (not you personally) who say Tua or pick-a-name WILL be elite that NFL history is full of 'elite backups.' I much prefer 'most likely' or 'should be.'

Yeah I dropped all the podcast with guys who speak in absolutes with respect to the draft. It’s comical.

True, but I think the Mahomes piece is a bit different. Everyone thought Trubisky was a low ceiling-high floor type prospect, where as Mahomes was seen as the far more physically talented wildcard boom or bust prospect. Neither has really proved that wrong to this point, but Andy Reid is widely regarded as being able to get the most out of those boom or bust type QB's, and he's done it with lots of guys in the past, so that was an ideal landing spot for Mahomes.

Try finding that success rate in any other draft slot.

You may be correct, but that doesn't change a thing.

A 25% rate is terrible.

I wonder what the patriots success rate is with their drafted players for a any 3 year period after Tom Brady became the teams QB. He was a 7th round draft pick if I remember and he turned out alright.

Back
Top Bottom