Sleepers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sleepers

I'm going to give you a quarterback sleeper. Tyler Sheehan of Bowling Green. He runs that offense cherry, is a big solid strong kid with quick feet and he really pops the mitt on his throws, spins the ball extremely well. He's executed a number of fourth quarter comebacks this year and the bowl game against Idaho SHOULD have qualified...except somehow the Bowling Green defense allowed Idaho to go down the field and score a TD and 2-point conversion with only 30 seconds left in the game.

The kid is accurate and threw some nice deep balls. He's best in the fourth quarter. He runs a pretty complicated offense and has a good feel for the timing necessary. He sees the field and comes off to his 2nd and 3rd reads. He's played in 42 games, is a 65% passer, has accounted for 87 TDs (70 passing, 14 running, 3 receiving) and has 31 INTs for an INT rate about 2.1%. Underrated feet, if I'm running a WCO I look at this kid because he can execute plays that other guys can't. Doesn't panic under fire and can take a shot and shed the would-be sacker. Short, quick delivery at about ear level.

What he needs to work on is keeping his feet under him. They didn't have a very good pass protecting line over there and so he had to work with some real choppy pockets, throwing from all kinds of different platforms. Showed his versatility and arm at times but also showed a propensity to not get his feet under him when he maybe could have. He's got a soft build, he could probably use some more gym work.

I'm going to give you a quarterback sleeper. Tyler Sheehan of Bowling Green. He runs that offense cherry, is a big solid strong kid with quick feet and he really pops the mitt on his throws, spins the ball extremely well. He's executed a number of fourth quarter comebacks this year and the bowl game against Idaho SHOULD have qualified...except somehow the Bowling Green defense allowed Idaho to go down the field and score a TD and 2-point conversion with only 30 seconds left in the game.

The kid is accurate and threw some nice deep balls. He's best in the fourth quarter. He runs a pretty complicated offense and has a good feel for the timing necessary. He sees the field and comes off to his 2nd and 3rd reads. He's played in 42 games, is a 65% passer, has accounted for 87 TDs (70 passing, 14 running, 3 receiving) and has 31 INTs for an INT rate about 2.1%. Underrated feet, if I'm running a WCO I look at this kid because he can execute plays that other guys can't. Doesn't panic under fire and can take a shot and shed the would-be sacker. Short, quick delivery at about ear level.

What he needs to work on is keeping his feet under him. They didn't have a very good pass protecting line over there and so he had to work with some real choppy pockets, throwing from all kinds of different platforms. Showed his versatility and arm at times but also showed a propensity to not get his feet under him when he maybe could have. He's got a soft build, he could probably use some more gym work.

When the pressure came and he had to make quick decisions with setting his stance and feet, thats the part that annoyed the most about his game. He had an ATROCIOUS game against Boise State. But he looks good when his line holds up and is able to drive his body and hips into his throw. When he is pressured though, he tends to not set his feet as well.

I didn't see the Boise game but how could it be "atrocious" when he completed 55% of his passes, accounted for 2 TDs and 2 INTs? It's certainly not a banner day but atrocious might be going a bit far. And I think it's more about the coverage than the pressure. He did pretty well against Troy and those boys pressure the passer well and often over there between Cameron Sheffield and Brandon Lang. But Troy doesn't have Kyle Wilson on the outside to help cover Freddie Barnes and the gang.

22. OT Jared Veldheer 6'7"321lbs.

Overview
Recognized as on the best linemen in Division II - named 1st Team AFCA All-American, 1st Team AP Little All-American and Gene Upshaw finalist. Great student (3.0 GPA Bio) and recognized team leader in the weight room and on the field - his efforts led to Hillsdale's first-ever play-off appearance and first play-off win in 2009. Declined Valero Cactus Bowl invitation to play in Texas vs. The Nation bowl game.
Strengths

Dominating size and athletic ability at left tackle. 10.125 inch hands and huge frame reminiscent of Jonathan Ogden. Plays to the whistle. Good footwork and blocking mechanics allow him to get to the defender quickly. Frame will allow him to get even bigger. Self-report of 4.87 and 4.94 40 times (summer, '09).
Weaknesses

Upright pass-blocker who will need to improve as he faces elite competition. Has been able to dominate on strength alone in D-2; may need some time to adjust to next-level defender's speed.
Projection

Some scouts have listed Veldheer as high as the top 3 tackles in the draft. If he performs to his potential at the combine and in his bowl game, he could very well go as high as the 3rd round.
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=3758
*Roman 529 has a nice article on Veldheer in the 31st thread

23. OT Casey Knips 6'8"308lbs.
Skinny: Knips has the ideal size (6’8, 308) and runs in the 5.2 range, which is outstanding physical attributes. While he has outstanding potential he is still very raw, plays too high, and is inconsistent. At this point he is a PFA or 7th round type player mainly based on his physical tools but has mid round type potential.
Our View: Knips is a massive man standing a legit 6-8 and weighing 310 pounds, and he is another player that many people won’t be talking about until we get closer to the NFL Draft, but one team has him ranked as their number five overall senior tackle for the NFL Draft. He plays left tackle right now, but projects as a right tackle at the next level. He needs to work on his pass blocking and do better in his pass set to improve his draft stock. His level of competition will be called into question and he needs to show well at the All-Star games to raise his draft stock because of that.
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Casey-Knips.html

I didn't see the Boise game but how could it be "atrocious" when he completed 55% of his passes, accounted for 2 TDs and 2 INTs? It's certainly not a banner day but atrocious might be going a bit far. And I think it's more about the coverage than the pressure. He did pretty well against Troy and those boys pressure the passer well and often over there between Cameron Sheffield and Brandon Lang. But Troy doesn't have Kyle Wilson on the outside to help cover Freddie Barnes and the gang.

Atrocious compared to his usual play. Atrocious may be taking it too far, but he did not keep his poise during that game. Granted it was Boise State and he's dealing with Bowling Green's offensive line. He's no Omar Jacobs in terms of elusiveness, but he seemed to take longer than usual dissecting the coverage while getting pressured at the same time. I like Sheehan a lot, I think he is a great Sleeper pick. But he seems to me to be strictly West Coast and not of an offense like Air Coryell. He would even thrive in New England's offense as he is pretty damn good at making quick decisions and putting it where it needs to be in all those jerk routes and follow routes and quick routes.

He's a quarterback that has potential to thrive in the right system.

24. QB John Skelton 6'5"258lbs.
Strengths

• Arm Strength
  • Footwork
  • Escape Ability
  • Accuracy on deep throws
  • NFL size
Weaknesses

• Lower Release Point
  • Not very dominant despite low level of competition, but clearly a man among boys.
Skelton is listed at 6'5" and a remarkable 258 pounds, which is roughly 57 pounds more than he weighed when he was a high school senior. That kind of weight growth is normal for a lineman or tight end, but certainly not for a quarterback. Obviously Skelton has been on some kind of weight training regiment to get him in prime NFL shape.
Despite all of the added weight, Skelton remains very mobile and active in the pocket. Upon watching film, he has excellent footwork in the pocket. He moves around very well and reads the pressure like an NFL quarterback needs to. The speed of the game increases in the NFL probably about 20 times as fast as it is in the Patriot League, but he appears to have the correct instincts to make it work.
Another thing I really liked was his quick release and arm strength, especially on deep throws. In the film available online, he hits deep out routes with relative ease, and has great touch on his deep ball. He doesn't put too much air under his passes, which is key at the next level in terms of the speed of the defensive backs.
The only thing that concerns me is a lack of pure dominance at a lower level of college competition. He has over 10,000 total yards in his time at Fordham, but players like Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy have demolished that mark against the top levels of competition. You wonder why Skelton has been unable to do that.
Regardless, if a lack of dominance is the only thing preventing this kid, he should be just fine. If he gets into the correct system at the next level, he could be a star two or three years down the road. He has the size and skills to make it at the next level, and he could be one to watch for on draft day.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...kelton-a-franchise-qb-of-the-future-in-hiding

He never really lived up to the potential at LSU, but if we could get him in the 6th I think it would be great value.
25. RB Keiland Williams 6'0"221 lbs.
Williams has plenty of talent, but was never a true go-to guy during his career at running back for LSU. Still, he managed to post solid numbers. As a freshman in 2006 he carried 76 times for 436 yards and five touchdowns, and in 2007 he ran 70 times for 478 yards and six scores while splitting time with Jacob Hester. Williams slipped a bit as a junior (83 carries for 417 yards and two scores) when classmate Charles Scott took over primary RB duties. Although he made a wise move to return to Baton Rouge, Williams did not see the decision pay off in terms of helping his draft stock. He suffered a broken ankle against Ole Miss on November 14 to bring a premature end to a disappointing season (although he was averaging 5.3 ypc at the time of his injury). Williams is an explosive back who can also excel at returning kicks, but he needs to improve at running between the tackles. He has the size (6'0 and 221 pounds) to be successful in that capacity, but he has been unable to get the job done on a consistent basis (just like he does when he runs around the ends or catches passes out of the backfield). Williams can run in the 4.4s in the 40-yard-dash and his speed and change of direction ability make him a terror in the open field. He could have been drafted as early as the third round with a clean bill of health, but the injury makes him a question mark. Look for Williams to go off the board sometime on Day 2 of the 2010 draft.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1748

Ali Villanueva (Army) is an interesting sleeper prospect, 6'10'' 280 he started all 12 games at left tackle his junior year then made the switch in the spring to WR where he led the team in receptions, 34. There could be some reluctancy to draft a player from army after the lions took caleb campbell in 2008 and had couldnt keep him in camp due to army requirements.

If he isnt a bill parcells guy than i dont know who is. I saw him play once versus navy after knowing him only as the tallest college football player and came away impressed. He isnt a super athlete but for 6'10'' he has pretty good hands and would be and dreamy frame for a NFL TE.

He'll be playing this saturday at the shrine game (ESPN2 3:00 1/23) Just because of his size I could see a team falling in love with him and taking him in the range of rounds 3-5, but I could also see him going undrafted, Army hasnt exactly been a football factory. I was suprised to see his name on the roster for the shrine game so I will be eagerly watching his every move as if I had one ounce of say in the matter come April.

Prediction; Dolphins 6th round pick.

26. WR Freddie Barnes 6’0”212 lbs.
Barnes did not put up very impressive numbers his first three seasons but had a healthy, productive senior campaign, catching a whopping 155 balls for 1770 yards and 19 touchdowns. Needless to say, he led the nation in receiving. As a result, he may have jumped up from being a potentially undrafted free agent all the way to looking like a possible day one selection.
http://www.nfl-draft-site.com/
01/18/2010 - East-West Shrine Monday Practice: Bowling Green State wide receiver Freddie Barnes was one of the stars of the day. He snatched several balls out of the air, adjusting to passes thrown high, low and wide. Toledo strong safety Barry Church found out what it would be like to cover an NFL receiver when Barnes gave him a nice head fake while running down the seam, stopping Church in his tracks and blowing by him. Though Barnes did drop one or two when allowing the ball to get too far into his chest and could be faster out of his breaks, overall he was clearly the best receiver on either squad.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1114091

27. WR Taylor Price 6'1"209lbs.
Taylor Price is not very well known outside of the Mid-American Conference (especially since the Bobcats of Ohio would prefer to keep the ball on the ground), but Price has had a solid career in Athens. As a true freshman he was thrown into the mix and caught nine passes for 77 yards, and also returned some kick-offs and punts. In 2007 his role was expanded: He caught 33 passes for 464 yards and four touchdowns, but he did a lot more than that. In addition to catching the ball and returning some kicks, Price also carried the ball six times for 23 yards and threw two passes for 50 yards and a touchdown. In 2008 Price set a school record by catching 14 passes against Wyoming and ended the season ranking fourth all-time catching 51 passes in a single season. Those 51 catches went for 694 yards and five touchdowns. Through 11 games in 2009, Price is putting up similar numbers during his senior campaign. He has 48 receptions for 639 yards and five scores.
Price will continue to go under the radar since he plays on a team that lacks a history of successful receivers at any level. His numbers are not that great and never will be at Ohio, but he is a good receiver who runs good routes and has a decent combination of size and speed. He may not get drafted very high, but he could turn into a decent third or fourth receiver in the NFL.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2314

Nice job DK. A lot of good info condensed to one location.

Torrell Troup NT Central Florida
Greg Matthews WR Michigan

28. NT Torrell Troup 6'3"314lbs.
Really high on this kid as well. 27 tackles, 5 tackles for a loss, and 2 sacks. Will be playing in the East-West Shrine Game and was the key cog to UCF's defense, frequently commanding two blockers - which is what an NT is there for. Sounds like a good kid as well with a strong work ethic as he came to UCF weighing 345 and trimmed down to a lean and mean 314. This kid would be a steal in the middle rounds. (More on Troup in my next post below this one)
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/groups/post/13754654/18996514

Back
Top Bottom