Slimm's 2014 Underclassman | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2014 Underclassman

Absolutely he's a terrific young back. It's going to be a great RB class with Dixon, Yeldon, Todd Gurley, and Duke Johnson. Superfreshman.

I think he's probably one of the top 5 athletes in the sport of football period. College or professional. We're talking about a 6'5", 250 pound kid with a 40" vertical, nearly an 11' broad jump, and 4.5 speed. He's a great blocker. I like how Oregon also uses him in the backfield. He moves like a big tailback when they hand him the football... which is why he averages nearly 6 yards/carry. I've seen Oregon insert Lyerla into the game when the offense is struggling and it always results in yardage and TD's when they do. Let me know the next time you see the football in his hands and he's not dragging tacklers with him. His ability in the open field is as rare as it gets for a kid that size.

He's so athletic and explosive that it's typically difficult for coaches to find the best position for the few players like this that come along. Although Oregon is probably the program that has become the most adept at finding versatile athletes and putting them in a variety of different positions. Lyerla reminds me of Brian Urlacher's days at New Mexico.... Lyerla is that unique and athletic. I think he'd be a 1st round pick even if they put him at outside linebacker and left him there. I remember watching him play linebacker in the Army All-American Game coming out of highschool.

To put it bluntly, I'm extremely, extremely high on Colt Lyerla as a football player. It's very simple. Lyerla can block, catch the football, run the football, and tackle... all the basic fundamental aspects that make you a good football player. He does them all naturally. Factor in how special and explosive he is as an athlete, and what you have is a rare player indeed.

I'm very glad to hear that. While I haven't seen as much of him as I'd like, I was really impressed with the physical tools. If he were 6'6 he'd be a slam dunk top TE pick in my book, but he looks more like 6'4 or so to me and I'd like to see him use his verticality more in the red zone. As a player, he seems more raw than polished, but he's got a lot of snap and pop, instant acceleration, natural nasty running style and decent hands and awareness. Once he learns his craft, this guy can be a real X factor in the NFL, kinda like a smaller more physical version of Jimmy Graham. I gotta think power run teams will absolutely love him.

From a selfish standpoint, I'm thinking of a Dolphins team with Lyerla at TE and Javorskie Lane at FB and we might just score along the goal line finally. Lyerla's got the seam speed, exceptional acceleration, and real power running. He's not the typical NFL TE today, but he seems like he could become a real game changer.

I'm sure this isn't the right forum for this but I'm just tickled that we reeled this guy in. He doesn't even qualify as an underclassman, because he's still not even a senior in high school! But I've had my eye on him for over a year, and he's given a verbal commit to USF. He's had an offer from LSU on the table for about a year already, and he did some tours at Bama and Louisville before choosing USF this past week. They don't make too many 17 year old quarterback prospects that look like this.

[video=youtube;BiXqX8GH8nk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXqX8GH8nk[/video]

I'm sure this isn't the right forum for this but I'm just tickled that we reeled this guy in. He doesn't even qualify as an underclassman, because he's still not even a senior in high school! But I've had my eye on him for over a year, and he's given a verbal commit to USF. He's had an offer from LSU on the table for about a year already, and he did some tours at Bama and Louisville before choosing USF this past week. They don't make too many 17 year old quarterback prospects that look like this.

[video=youtube;BiXqX8GH8nk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXqX8GH8nk[/video]

He toured Louisville but we didn't offer him. This staff believes Reggie Bonnafon from Louisville Trinity High School is the real deal and didn't feel we had room for him. He's talented and is going to do well for USF.

Well now. This is interesting. Evidently Michael Dyer was in Tampa recently touring USF and may join the Bulls. He would be eligible to play immediately in 2013.

He's eligible to play anywhere that'll have him. It's easy to forget how talented Michael Dyer really is. A 5-star back coming out of high school that came in and broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing record at Auburn...on his way to obtaining Freshman All-SEC honors, and winning MVP in the National Championship where he carried Auburn to victory in the second half. That was just his freshman season....

Somebody like Coach Taggart is exactly what a kid like Dyer needs.

Well now. This is interesting. Evidently Michael Dyer was in Tampa recently touring USF and may join the Bulls. He would be eligible to play immediately in 2013.

There's heavy, heavy stuff out there floating around saying he's coming here to Louisville. If that's the case Senorise Perry will probably redshirt to get his knee back to 100%.

What makes Sammy Watkins special is his transition from catch to run. I don't know that I've ever seen a receiver transition from catch to run as fast as he does. This is why 2 years ago, he was perhaps the best true freshman receiver that I've ever seen in college football.

Coaches spend their entire careers teaching young receivers to look the ball in first, then turn and run. Sammy Watkins does this faster than any receiver I've seen. It's an incredible natural gift.

What makes Sammy Watkins special is his transition from catch to run. I don't know that I've ever seen a receiver transition from catch to run as fast as he does. This is why 2 years ago, he was perhaps the best true freshman receiver that I've ever seen in college football.

Coaches spend their entire careers teaching young receivers to look the ball in first, then turn and run. Sammy Watkins does this faster than any receiver I've seen. It's an incredible natural gift.

Yes he is amazing.

He will be a true diffrence maker.

I've been high on Ka'Deem Carey out of Arizona since the start of the season and he really showed me even more today with their win over Oregon. The guy can flat out play. I see him being a playmaker in the NFL and an every-down back. Any thoughts on him? Maybe as a 2nd rounder if we are lucky?

Runningback:

Tier 1

Melvin Gordon - Wisconsin

Lache Seastruck - Baylor

Tier 2

James Wilder Jr. - Florida St.

De'Anthony Thomas - Oregon

Adam Muema - San Diego St.

Ka'Deem Carey - Arizona

Tier 3

Jahwan Edwards - Ball St.

Kenny Hilliard - LSU

Michael Dyer - Louisville

George Atkinson - Notre Dame

Ameer Abdullah - Nebraska

Bishop Sankey - Washington

Tier 4

Akeem Hunt - Purdue

Storm Woods - Oregon St.

Marlin Lane - Tennessee

Tre Mason - Auburn

Henry Josey - Missouri

Brendan Bigelow - California

Tier 5

Alonzo Harris - UL-Lafayette

Tony Pierson - Kansas

Andrew Buie - West Virginia

Fullbacks:

Tier 1

Mark Weisman - Iowa (RB)

I'm surprised by the lack of hype surrounding Gordon. He reminds me of a bigger J. Charles. He's the best back I've seen so far this year (of RB's eligible).

I'm surprised by the lack of hype surrounding Gordon. He reminds me of a bigger J. Charles. He's the best back I've seen so far this year (of RB's eligible).

He literally just shot up a bunch of charts. He looked good as a RS Frosh behind Ball and White, and he and White both have really taken to the new offense.

On the oter side, while I know Slimm wasn't high on him, D'Anthony Thomas has really fallen off a lot of lists because of his mouth

He literally just shot up a bunch of charts. He looked good as a RS Frosh behind Ball and White, and he and White both have really taken to the new offense.

On the oter side, while I know Slimm wasn't high on him, D'Anthony Thomas has really fallen off a lot of lists because of his mouth

Yeah, if there's a 1st RD back this year, I have to believe it's Gordon. In most drafts, I'd say he's a lock to go in the 1st, but the 1st is likely going to be pretty stacked.

Colt Lyerla is a can't miss prospect, we need to get him #1 overall and take him off the board.

Slimm are you going to update your positional ranking?

Yeah, if there's a 1st RD back this year, I have to believe it's Gordon. In most drafts, I'd say he's a lock to go in the 1st, but the 1st is likely going to be pretty stacked.

depending on the combine and where he projects I think he still could be. Browns need an RB, we need one as well as DT/Miller just are too damn inconsistent and have too many holes in their games, The Cards could take one, ect. There are also teams I could see trading back into the first for him.

But in terms of "luxury picks" I'd rather go WR or TE before RB.

Back
Top Bottom