Slimm's 2014 Underclassman | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2014 Underclassman

He literally just shot up a bunch of charts. He looked good as a RS Frosh behind Ball and White, and he and White both have really taken to the new offense.

On the oter side, while I know Slimm wasn't high on him, D'Anthony Thomas has really fallen off a lot of lists because of his mouth

I've seen a few that's had him there for a while. Probably a reason that I look at their stuff when time allows. Rumor is that he's staying at Wisconsin right now, though.

Offensive Tackle:

Tier 1

Antonio Richardson - Tennessee

Greg Robinson - Auburn

Cyrus Kouandjio - Alabama

Cameron Erving - Florida St.

Malcolme Bunche - Miami

David Yankey - Stanford

Cameron Fleming - Stanford

Alright so I've been taking a look at some of the offensive linemen first. Specifically Cyrus and he's probably in the same class as Fluker was last year from what I've gathered. They're similar guys with their power in the run game, but I really didn't like Fluker last year because his feet seemed very heavy and I thought he would struggle holding up on the edge with speed rushers. When I watch Cyrus I see a guy with more upside and athleticism, but who still suffers from very inconsistent technique. I think he has better feet than DJ and has the upside to be better as a pass blocker and an equal as a run blocker. He really needs to clean up his technique tho because he bends at the waist a ton and as a result ends up on the ground and is knocked off balance way more than he should. But I really see an elite run blocker with a ton of power if he cleans up his technique. Am I on the right track with that evaluation? I've watched a handful of games and think he probably is going to need to move over to the right unless he returns for another year.

Also why are you so low on Cedric Ogbuehi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright so I've been taking a look at some of the offensive linemen first. Specifically Cyrus and he's probably in the same class as Fluker was last year from what I've gathered. They're similar guys with their power in the run game, but I really didn't like Fluker last year because his feet seemed very heavy and I thought he would struggle holding up on the edge with speed rushers. When I watch Cyrus I see a guy with more upside and athleticism, but who still suffers from very inconsistent technique. I think he has better feet than DJ and has the upside to be better as a pass blocker and an equal as a run blocker. He really needs to clean up his technique tho because he bends at the waist a ton and as a result ends up on the ground and is knocked off balance way more than he should. But I really see an elite run blocker with a ton of power if he cleans up his technique. Am I on the right track with that evaluation? I've watched a handful of games and think he probably is going to need to move over to the right unless he returns for another year.

Also why are you so low on Cedric Ogbuehi?

Think you're underrating Fluker as a mauler.

Slimm, is Jeremy Hill left off for character concerns?

Actually, he's left off because nobody realized he was draft eligible until recently due to sitting out the 2011 season because of legal issues stemming from an arrest. He's easily a Tier 1 back among underclassman in my opinion. If he were a clean kid, he'd be the best one.

Actually, he's left off because nobody realized he was draft eligible until recently due to sitting out the 2011 season because of legal issues stemming from an arrest. He's easily a Tier 1 back among underclassman in my opinion. If he were a clean kid, he'd be the best one.

That makes good sense, and I agree. The way he moves, you don't realize how big he is until you see him shedding tacklers. Hard for me to know where I'd take a risk on him, because his issues are the only things I know about his character.

Jeremy Hill is looking pretty good on that opening drive. He would be a nice replacement for Thomas.

Where would David Yankey rank as a guard Slimm? I am very high on the guy. I think if we can bring in some finesse tackles who can protect and some maulers on the interior he'd be a great fit.

Colt Lyerla is a can't miss prospect, we need to get him #1 overall and take him off the board.

Minus the whole Cocaine thing right? No way he goes in the first round. He may not get drafted at all. I do agree though talent wise he's a stud

Instinctive playmaker on defense that utilizes his gifts and athleticism to track down ball carriers and make game changing plays. Originally a Florida commit that Coach Meyer was able to flip to Ohio St. We recruited him hard to Alabama also.

Looks like he has the makings of a top-10 pick as a weakside linebacker as he keeps progressing. A prototypical SEC linebacker that managed to slip off to the Big-10 via Urban Meyer's high school connections in the state of Florida.

TedSlimm, this seems particularly pertinent to discussion that is currently going around the forum, as there are a number of Shazier detractors who specifically fault his "instincts" or lack thereof. Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you would care to elaborate.

TedSlimm, this seems particularly pertinent to discussion that is currently going around the forum, as there are a number of Shazier detractors who specifically fault his "instincts" or lack thereof. Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you would care to elaborate.

I think it's just a habit for a lot of people to "instinctively" classify extremely athletic and explosive linebackers in the mold of Ryan Shazier as non-instinctive. Meanwhile, vice versa for slower, less explosive linebackers. They automatically want to rave about how "instinctive" they are. However, instincts can only help keep you from being in a bad position. Instincts alone can't put you in a good position to make a play. This also requires a certain level of football IQ. The Trifecta of all three of these attributes are what makes a linebacker a legitimate playmaker.

All you have to do is refer back to my original post that you quoted.... which I made after his sophomore season and prior to his junior season. I watched him have a sack and return an INT for a touchdown against Penn St. on back to back plays. Watched him force a Montee Ball fumble on the goaline vs. Wisconsin that helped the Buckeyes win that game 21-14. This would have been the tying score had Shazier not forced that fumble.
He’s been a playmaker since he stepped on the field as a true freshman at Ohio St. That in itself is an outstanding achievement.

From a speed, explosion, and athleticism standpoint, he blows away any linebacker prospect since Brian Urlacher. He's bigger and faster than Derrick Brooks was. Again, that alone is worthy of a 1st round pick. He’s a fantastic kid with a great work ethic, great character, and terrific leadership skills. Factor in a team like Miami’s need at the position and I just don’t see how they can afford to pass if they stay at the #19 spot.

I think it's just a habit for a lot of people to "instinctively" classify extremely athletic and explosive linebackers in the mold of Ryan Shazier as non-instinctive. Meanwhile, vice versa for slower, less explosive linebackers. They automatically want to rave about how "instinctive" they are. However, instincts can only help keep you from being in a bad position. Instincts alone can't put you in a good position to make a play. This also requires a certain level of football IQ. The Trifecta of all three of these attributes are what makes a linebacker a legitimate playmaker.

All you have to do is refer back to my original post that you quoted.... which I made after his sophomore season and prior to his junior season. I watched him have a sack and return an INT for a touchdown against Penn St. on back to back plays. Watched him force a Montee Ball fumble on the goaline vs. Wisconsin that helped the Buckeyes win that game 21-14. This would have been the tying score had Shazier not forced that fumble.
He’s been a playmaker since he stepped on the field as a true freshman at Ohio St. That in itself is an outstanding achievement.

From a speed, explosion, and athleticism standpoint, he blows away any linebacker prospect since Brian Urlacher. He's bigger and faster than Derrick Brooks was. Again, that alone is worthy of a 1st round pick. He’s a fantastic kid with a great work ethic, great character, and terrific leadership skills. Factor in a team like Miami’s need at the position and I just don’t see how they can afford to pass if they stay at the #19 spot.

Slimm, do you think he'll even be there at 19? Given his elite production and elite athleticism, I have a hard time believing he makes it out of the top 15; I don't think he should make it out of the top 10.

Slimm, do you think he'll even be there at 19? Given his elite production and elite athleticism, I have a hard time believing he makes it out of the top 15; I don't think he should make it out of the top 10.

I think there's about a 60% chance that he's available at #19. I don't think he should make it out of the top 15 either... I felt like he was a top 10 pick after his sophomore season. Fact is, in most drafts he would come off the board somewhere in the 8-15 range. However, this isn't a typical draft. Which is why I think he could be there at #19.

He's always reminded me of John Mobley, although Shazier is an even better athlete than Mobley was. Mobley went 15th overall despite playing at a much lower level of competition (Kutztown) than Shazier. Linebackers like this just don't come along very often. When they do, they don't last to pick #19. There's just not going to be anything on the board that looks better than Ryan Shazier at #19 overall when Miami goes on the clock.

I'd just expect the Dolphins to botch the pick regardless. I'd expect them to pick some run-of-the-mill right tackle or guard that they can pencil in as a "starter" due to the incompetence and/or absence of their past decisions at tackle/guard and try to sell it off as a great pick like they always do.

As long as Miami drafts to fill holes instead of drafting for talent, they'll keep blowing drafts. They can't keep drafting like they're one or two players away every year. They're not. They need to draft like they're 10 players away and draft for elite talent at every opportunity. Because they are 10 players away.... at minimum.

They're basically 3/4 of an entire secondary, 3/5 of an offensive line, 2/3 of a backfield, and 2/3 of a linebacking unit away... and that's at minimum.

I don't know about everybody else but where I'm from, 3+3+2+2 equals 10.

Back
Top Bottom