33. J.T. Surratt / South Carolina / 6'2", 307

34. James Castleman / Oklahoma St. / 6'2", 296

35. Derrick Lott / Chattanooga / 6'3", 303

Underclassman

1. Christian Covington / Rice / 6'3", 295

2. Xavier Cooper / Washington St. / 6'4", 303

3. Adam Gotsis / Georgia Tech / 6'5", 285

a_ncf_gotsis_ps_300.jpg
(Relentless kid who is only just beginning to realize his immense potential. Gotsis is from Australia. Played Austrailian rules football for 8 years. Tough. Dean's List and Academic Honor Roll at a brilliant engineering school. Stud.)

4. Sheldon Day / Notre Dame / 6'2", 290

5. Eddie Goldman / Florida St. / 6'4", 320

6. Jonathan Bullard / Florida / 6'3", 275

7. Ellis McCarthy / UCLA / 6'4", 330

8. Antwaun Woods / USC / 6'0", 310

9. Isaac Gross / Ole Miss / 6'1", 250

10. Darius Hamilton / Rutgers / 6'4", 275

11. Rakeem Nunez-Roches / Southern Miss / 6'2", 305

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an off-field issue that I might be unaware of that knocks Gabe Wright so low in the rankings? Honestly the defensive front line players (defensive tackles and bigger defensive ends) just don't impress me much in this class and probably the most interesting guys I've seen are Leonard Williams, Xavier Cooper and Gabe Wright. Though Luther Maddy is the one top caliber guy I have yet to get to working up on tape.

I get the high regard for Christian Covington but the lateral agility doesn't seem there to me, and I can't consider him a top ranked 1st round type if I'm not seeing that. But I haven't done a full evaluation of him so I reserve the right to change my mind especially if he looks more agile in 2014.

There have been some real quality specimens on the defensive line the last couple of years and I guess overall outside of perhaps Leonard Williams if he gets his stuff together and starts being consistent game to game, I'm not sure I see that caliber. I'd love to see Xavier Cooper actually played on the inside more so that I get a better idea of what he can do there. He could be that caliber.

Well, there has been some exceptional defensive line talent come out of college recently. Generational talents. I don't believe I've seen that in this class either. Leonard Williams is as close as we'll get in this draft. He has tge ability to be as good of a prospect as J.J. Watt, and i think he'll be in the mix to go #1 overall.

There's certainly talent here, and I tend to agree with you in regards to Xavier Cooper also... I'd like to see him line up inside more.

I view Covington as a top 75 prospect in the 2nd/3rd round range if he enters early. Gotsis is the kid that I'm looking forward to moving to the top of my underclassman ranks here. I really like that kid's tape and intangibles.

I don't know of any off field issues with Gabe Wright, he just doesn't produce up to his talent because he's still improving. He's improved so much since 2012 when Auburn's defense was awful....especially against the run when they ranked 100th in the country and allowed nearly 5 yards/carry to opposing RB's. Due in large part to how soft they were in the middle with Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson. The ability is there with him, he just needs to keep improving.

What I like about Gabe Wright is the combination of upper body strength to physically knock guys backward and be a handful that way, combined with the lateral agility to consistently get his hips around the outside of the player trying to block him. I have a feeling he's going to keep improving and end up near the top of this class for the middle guys.

A classic Day 2 type of guy makes sense for Covington.

Had not seen Gotsis yet.

I've looked at Michael Bennett, Carl Davis, Travis Raciti, Danny Shelton, Tyeler Davison, Gabe Wright, Grady Jarrett, Ray Drew, Darius Kilgo, Christian Covington, Xavier Cooper and Sheldon Day. I may have looked at Justin Hamilton but I can't remember him now.

the combination of upper body strength to physically knock guys backward and be a handful that way, combined with the lateral agility to consistently get his hips around the outside of the player trying to block him.

That's what I see with Carl Davis. Its also what I loved about Dominique Easley at Florida. I completely understand why the Patriots took him at the end of the 1st round despite his season ending early.

Danny Shelton may look sloppy fat but he's about as powerful as you'd hope a 340 lbs player would be and he probably moves better than you'd expect a player that size to move. Strictly a phone booth player in an NFL that is phasing them out, but he'll have value to teams that need a nose.

Carl Davis and Terry Williams are grown men.

Davis just soaks up double teams.. he's the guy offenses are intent on doubling along Iowa's defensive front. I don't care what game you look at or any snap, if this monster is single blocked... he's going to blow up the offensive lineman in front of him.

Terry Williams completely wrecked Virginia Tech. He's the reason East Carolina won that football game. He wrecked Virginia Tech last year....just not a lot they can do about it.

ECU scoring 70 points probably helped.

Xavier Cooper was incredible versus Oregon. The Ducks were missing some help at tackle but Cooper and the Cougs did most of their damage against the interior.

ECU scoring 70 points probably helped.

They scored 70 on North Carolina. I'm talking about the Virginia Tech game 2 weeks ago where they held VT to 7 points through 3 quarters.

Even Tom Luginbill, who as I've mentioned before I consider the best talent evaluator out there, distinctly mentioned that no single player in college football had a bigger impact on the outcome of a game in week 3 than Williams did against Virginia Tech.

Hell all you have to do is watch what he did to em last year. For a 350 pounder this kid's quickness and balance is phenomenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I mistook the game. My fault.

That's quite the endorsement from Luginbill. And I agree with you that Luginbill is very impressive. Whenever I watch one of his broadcasts I can't help but think he's almost embarrassing the other guys that are part of the broadcast with how much more thorough and accurate he is.

while he still needs seasoning, he's technically eligible for the 2015 draft as a RS Sophomore, but Willie Henry from Michigan is one to watch. Insanely raw technique wise but is probably one of the strongest D-Linemen in the Big 10... maybe the country

Liking what I'm seeing from Shelton.

Really, like the player a lot. Not many guys in the 330's can move like that. And he has a really high motor which is extremely rare for a guy his size. I like all four of the guys out in Seattle, Shelton, Peters, Shaq, and Kikaha. You can see my final grades on them and many more here: http://www.finheaven.com/showthread.php?358340-Final-Draft-Grades-Rankings-2015

I see Slimm likes Michael Bennett a lot. I'm just not a fan at all. He loses at the POA too much for my liking. I think he's a rotational guy you play on passing downs to get some interior rush. But I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him. Some people have compared him to Aaron Donald, but it's not even close. Aaron Donald is a freak.

Shelton is a little better and a little more disruptive than Alameda Ta'amu was coming out of Washington a couple years ago at about the same size. Ta'amu came off the board in the 4th round.... I think you can cut that in half for Shelton.

Shelton is a little better and a little more disruptive than Alameda Ta'amu was coming out of Washington a couple years ago at about the same size. Ta'amu came off the board in the 4th round.... I think you can cut that in half for Shelton.

Yeah I see him as a top 50 player. Better fit in an odd front, but has enough athleticism and pass rush to play a 2 down shade as well.

How big are you on Michael Bennett? I just see him as a 3rd round guy. Good rotational guy, and gives you interior pass rush in subpackages. I just don't like his strength at the POA and I don't think he bull rushes well, which is pretty important as a 3 tech. I would have to say as a starter I think he'll be well below average.

Back
Top Bottom