Slimm's 2015 Safeties | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Safeties

Slimm, how close do you have Harris to Pruitt? I really like Harris' combination of instincts, agility, and range, and I like that he's a solid tackler with good ball skills. Pruitt reminds me a bit of a poor-man's Eric Reid. Not a knock on Pruitt, but he doesn't look as explosive as Reid to me. But he's a good athlete and a big, physical player for the position.

I'd be happy with either in Miami, but Harris seems like a better compliment to R. Jones.

Haven't yet watched Byard, but after reading your post, I checked to see if he has any relation to the great jazz pianist, Jaki Byard, and I was unable to find anything suggesting they were related. Not pertinent to his draft position, but worth a look.

[video=youtube;L-pNaX3QPfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-pNaX3QPfo[/video]

Prewitt isn't quite the prospect Eric Reid was. If he was, he would've came out last year as an underclassman the way Reid did. He's good enough to be in the mix for top Senior safety in this class.... which is probably a day 2 pick. I have it very close between Prewitt and Harris. There's so many players here on my list that can play. All the way down. It's very difficult to watch at least 200 meaningful snaps on all of 'em unless you really dedicate yourself to it.

You have to realize when I made these 2015 threads in March, I had already been working on this class for a year. It takes a long time to watch enough meaningful snaps of all these kids and rank them accordingly the best you can. By the time the 2015 Draft rolls around and everybody is ready to talk about it., I'll already have been long bored with it and moved on to 2016... so on and so forth. I don't watch much NFL football. I spend a lot of time watching college football though. I enjoy it so much more. Small schools... you name it.

You can't figure a draft class out in the 4 months or so between the time the NFL season ends and the draft. You really have to do it year round.

You need to watch the Byard kid from MTSU though. He's fantastic.

By the way, Landon Collins got abused like a red headed step child Saturday by Ole Miss. He's still trying to figure out that 3x1 bunch formation the Rebels threw at him.

Hey Slimm. Odd question. Do you think Shaq Thompson could play safety in some sets? I think a creative defensive coordinator could get a lot of talent on the field if Thompson could do that. He seems like a player who would be a good fit for Miami. I could see a lot of pass rushers on the field with Thompson at safety in some passing downs. Am I way off in this thinking?

Hey Slimm. Odd question. Do you think Shaq Thompson could play safety in some sets? I think a creative defensive coordinator could get a lot of talent on the field if Thompson could do that. He seems like a player who would be a good fit for Miami. I could see a lot of pass rushers on the field with Thompson at safety in some passing downs. Am I way off in this thinking?

Considering he's a converted safety to begin with, it would incline you to believe that he could play safety in some sets. Probably more along the lines of being lined up 6-8 yards off the LOS within inverted or "sky" type coverages though. You can blitz him, have him buzz the flat, or carry TE's/Backs down the field in man coverage from there. I don't think you'd want him as a single high safety responsible for patrolling too much ground and locating the football in the air at the same time.

Just for future reference, the kid who always flashes the most to me when I study Florida St.'s secondary is sophomore Nate Andrews. He's not eligible this year but he will be next year. He's another kid that Jeremy Pruitt came up here and got from the state of Alabama. I watched him a couple times in high school around here for Fairhope... except he was playing quarterback and WR.

He had an offer from Saban and Alabama but we came in late. It's good to see this kid developing so well at defensive back. Andrews can play. He's going to be a good one.

#37 on your senior list Jaquiski Tartt has been generating some buzz lately. I doubt I can dig up any Samford film so I'll have to wait for East-West and possibly Senior Bowl if he gets an invite.

Thanks, Slimm. Always appreciate your opinions on college prospect.

I haven't seen anyone anywhere mention this so I guess I'm the first. I'm projecting Ekpre-Olomu as a FS. He has the instincts, range, ball skills, ability to cover slots in man coverage, and tackling ability to make the transition. Tyrann Mathieu did it and I think he can as well.

Ekpre-Olomu does have some difficulty transitioning against fast receivers in man coverage. He's either a pure C2 corner (Ronde Barber) or a safety. He's physical and strong. Explosive tackler for a CB. Hits more like a safety anyway so it may be a good fit for him.

Ronde Barber was 5'10", 185 and ran 4.63. The only way you can be that small and that slow and succeed at CB in the NFL is to be exceptional at aspects that you cannot be coached on. Toughness, competitiveness, instincts, ball skills, and a short memory. If any CB exhibits these traits, it's Ekpre-Olomu.

However, I'm not sure he's that slow. I don't think that's his issue. He looks like he has some stiffness in his hips and hurts his transition against better receivers. Put him in a C2 and cover him up with a safety the way Tampa did Ronde Barber all those years, or make him a safety. He hits like Bob Sanders.

Yeah I don't think he will run anything slower than 4.55 I have him as the #2 Corner after Peters in my thread. Big fan of them both. Also have Ifo #2 safety. But I've only completed the evaluation on Collins and Ifo. Disregard the rounds I have. I'm updating them to a grade system from 1.0-8.0 like NFL teams use.

Holliman with 3 more INTs tonight, gives him 13 for the year and the record is 14. The last 2 QBs he faces this season are Everett Golson and Patrick Towles. I'd wager the record will fall.

Holliman with 3 more INTs tonight, gives him 13 for the year and the record is 14. The last 2 QBs he faces this season are Everett Golson and Patrick Towles. I'd wager the record will fall.

It's safe to say he'll be declaring.

I know you disagree Slimm, but I really do believe that Landon Collins will be the better pro out of him, Ha Ha, and Barron.

Back
Top Bottom