Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Davis Webb / California / 6'5", 229 (#40 overall)

2. Chad Kelly / Ole Miss / 6'2", 224
( #95 overall)
i

3. Nate Peterman / Pittsburgh / 6'2", 226 (#165 overall)

4. Cooper Rush / C. Michigan / 6'3", 228 (UDFA)

5. Wes Lunt / Illinois / 6'4", 217 (UDFA)

6. Gunner Kiel / Cincinnati / 6'3", 218 (UDFA)

7. Seth Russell / Baylor / 6'3", 213 (UDFA)

8. Sefo Liufau / Colorado / 6'3", 232 (UDFA)

9. Nick Mullens / Southern Miss / 6'1", 207 (UDFA)

10. Skyler Howard / W. Virginia / 5'11", 207 (UDFA)

The following are athletes that could make the transition to a different position. In some cases, already have experience playing another position.

1. Josh Dobbs / Tennessee / 6'3", 216 (#186 overall)

2. Taysom Hill / BYU / 6'2", 221 (#242 overall)

taysom-hill-hurdles-a-texas-defender-a.gif

3. Greg Ward Jr. / Houston / 5'10", 186 (UDFA)

4. Tommy Armstrong / Nebraska / 6'1", 220 (UDFA)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remain interested in Taysom Hill and I'm rooting for him to stay healthy and have a good run. Right now he has to go in that dual threat category and I understand that but I think there's a strong possibility that he's taken strides in his passing that aren't recognized because we've hardly seen him in the last two years.

The guy's leadership is through the roof. He's a better passer than Tim Tebow was (remains to be seen if he's good enough that way for the NFL), and every bit the runner and leader that Tebow was. And in a class of seniors that is kind of poor, that's something I would buy.

Chad Kelly is the legitimate #1 senior. In 2015 he wasn't anything that I would be anxious to bet on but he was in a place from which he could grow into something I'd be fine betting on. He's on the right path.

Should we be reading anything into the absence of Josh Dobbs and C.J. Beathard?

Dobbs is #3 under athletes. He came to Tennessee as a WR and I think that may be his best position at the next level.

As many times as I've tried to see Beathard as an NFL prospect, I simply haven't been able to. He's not for me.

Didn't see Dobbs there. I see it now.

That's a tremendous call on Cooper Rush. A lot of people are overlooking him. If you take into account potentially fatal flaws you could even make the case that Rush is better than the two you have listed above him. What I mean by that is when you get right down to it most of these guys aren't going to make it, including Chad Kelly and Gunner Kiel, and if you feel pretty good about isolating the reason you don't think Kelly or Kiel will make it, you could make a case for Rush being your top senior and it won't be a ridiculous call, IMO. If we start making the case for Cooper Rush to be listed ahead of a Deshaun Watson, OK then we're being a bit ridiculous. But Rush is among the quarterbacks that has the most clearly definable NFL future, in a sea of guys that don't have very clearly definable NFL futures.

Curious whether there are QB Coaches that think they can fix Brady Gustafson's tendency toward making wildly inaccurate throws. I mean there are pretty obvious footwork issues going on with most of those errant throws, but I'm not a QB Coach so I don't know if he can fix them.

As for C.J. Beathard, he clearly holds onto the ball too long and isn't seeing and pulling the trigger in a timely manner. But this was basically his first year starting and he ran the system pretty well while simultaneously showing himself to be able to make plays outside of the system with his legs and arm. I'm not anxious to draft anyone in this class but I think that should still get you above a Zach Terrell, for example.

Davis Webb is turning out to be a good shout here as he has been extremely impressive. I'd say he's the top senior. He made a good choice to go to Cal under a Kingsbury protege. It would have been nice to see him working with some more pro concepts, but the more important part for him was to go out against good competition, show off his incredible arm talent, and succeed excessively. He is doing that. Working under a Kingsbury guy also emphasizes something else about him which is going to play well in NFL circles, which is that he took his benching like a champ and there are no hard feelings between he and Kingsbury. Yes, Kingsbury benched him in favor of the more mobile Patrick Mahomes (who has a big arm in his own right). But Webb didn't go all Baker Mayfield, transferring out immediately and trashing everyone involved to everyone who will listen (or having his daddy do it). He stuck at Texas Tech, earned the nickname "Coach Webb" because of how much he helped Mahomes and the rest of the team, and then transferred as a college graduate so that he could show the scouts another year of film.

IF the Dolphins go for a quarterback in 2017 then I think Davis Webb would be the early favorite. Gase and Kingsbury have a relationship. Kingsbury flew all the way from Texas to come hang out at Dolphins training camp for a day. Kliff has referred to Davis Webb as a top 5 overall talent recently. I think Kliff may be candid with Gase about the decision to bench Webb in favor of Mahomes and how it has more to do with the unique requirements of his Air Raid attack, that Davis Webb is the one more suited to a pro style attack, etc. I love Patrick Mahomes and this is not a slight on him as a pro prospect, I'm just saying what I think it's possible Kingsbury will tell Gase.

I really like how easily he flicks the ball downfield. It looks like he's throwing a nerf football, it's so easy for him. I also like how consistent his placement is on short passes. Always puts the ball where it needs to be so that the receiver can easily catch it and get up field.

Haven't watched enough to know how good he is at working in the picket though, how do you think he compares to Goff?

Davis Webb is turning out to be a good shout here as he has been extremely impressive. I'd say he's the top senior. He made a good choice to go to Cal under a Kingsbury protege. It would have been nice to see him working with some more pro concepts, but the more important part for him was to go out against good competition, show off his incredible arm talent, and succeed excessively. He is doing that. Working under a Kingsbury guy also emphasizes something else about him which is going to play well in NFL circles, which is that he took his benching like a champ and there are no hard feelings between he and Kingsbury. Yes, Kingsbury benched him in favor of the more mobile Patrick Mahomes (who has a big arm in his own right). But Webb didn't go all Baker Mayfield, transferring out immediately and trashing everyone involved to everyone who will listen (or having his daddy do it). He stuck at Texas Tech, earned the nickname "Coach Webb" because of how much he helped Mahomes and the rest of the team, and then transferred as a college graduate so that he could show the scouts another year of film.

IF the Dolphins go for a quarterback in 2017 then I think Davis Webb would be the early favorite. Gase and Kingsbury have a relationship. Kingsbury flew all the way from Texas to come hang out at Dolphins training camp for a day. Kliff has referred to Davis Webb as a top 5 overall talent recently. I think Kliff may be candid with Gase about the decision to bench Webb in favor of Mahomes and how it has more to do with the unique requirements of his Air Raid attack, that Davis Webb is the one more suited to a pro style attack, etc. I love Patrick Mahomes and this is not a slight on him as a pro prospect, I'm just saying what I think it's possible Kingsbury will tell Gase.

I really like how easily he flicks the ball downfield. It looks like he's throwing a nerf football, it's so easy for him. I also like how consistent his placement is on short passes. Always puts the ball where it needs to be so that the receiver can easily catch it and get up field.

Haven't watched enough to know how good he is at working in the picket though, how do you think he compares to Goff?

He needs work in terms of pocket movement. His most glaring issue to me is he always likes to move straight back when he's pressured. He'll run straight backwards instead of moving up in the pocket. He can get away with it time and time again because of phenomenal arm strength. And I do mean phenomenal. He'll just keep fading back and throw off his back foot. It's his trademark really.

This will have to be corrected or he can't reach any level of consistency in the NFL despite his marvelous physical gifts. Which would be a shame.

Logan Woodside is a guy that I've started to watch a little bit and I could see it both ways on him in terms of what the scouts will see. Many scouts will look at him and dismiss him. Period. He's small-ish, 6'2" and 200 pounds. I wouldn't say he has a deficient arm but he doesn't have a great one either. They'll discount the Toledo offense he runs. I can just imagine the scouts, many of whom I've spoken to, looking at me sideways and saying "You think THAT is an NFL quarterback?"

But there's more than a little Jimmy Garoppolo in him. The feet, release, accuracy, quick decision making, the way he reads the defender, not to mention the blur-level hurry-up offense they're running...lots of comparison there.

It's interesting to see who he replaced at Toledo, too. Phillip Ely was the starter in 2014 after transferring from Bama. But he got hurt and Woodside came in and performed really well. Then in 2015 they decided with Ely only having one year eligibility left and Woodside having a redshirt available, they'd go with Ely and let Woodside redshirt. Good long term plan. Ely led them to a 2-loss season last year and I'd be surprised if Woodside does worse than that in 2016 considering they doused Fresno State and nearly upset BYU in a 53-55 shootout. They have to play Akron and Central Michigan and Western Michigan but they can win those games with the offense they have going.

Woodside is leading the NCAA in passing efficiency thus far. Make no mistake he needs everything to go right for him from here on out in order to be compared to a Jimmy Garoppolo. He probably needs to win out. He needs to finish with the 4700 yards and 50 touchdowns he's currently on pace for. If he gets invited to the Senior Bowl, he needs to turn heads there. I'm just saying that, thus far based on what I've seen, I could kind of see all that happening. Or at least a chance of it happening.

Hell in a world where Trevor Siemian makes an NFL roster, rises up the depth chart, actually wins the start and then actually performs decently well...why not?

Yeah, good point about Siemian. I mean you just never know. Woodside looks tiny to me though. He just looks 5'11", 180 to me.

But you're right about the way he plays the position. I love him as a college quarterback. Just don't see it at the next level for him.

He does look like he's going to pop like a zit any time there's a defender of any kind of size bearing down on him.

But you've got to be pretty tough to pop back up after an unblocked (illegal) hit like this, that gets a 6'4" and 245 lbs guy like Sae Tautu ejected from the game:

https://youtu.be/hoyhaZItWKw?t=6226

I mean that's a big, NFL sized defender with a full head of steam going unblocked (because their OL does that thing where nobody moves when a defender goes off sides) crowning his helmet on your chin while you make a tough throw that very well could have gone complete for a big gain (receiver couldn't dig the underthrow off the turf).

And I had a total brain fart and forgot where I was going with the Phillip Ely thing. The reason I said it was interesting is because between Ely and Woodside there's a pretty consistent image of what those coaches are looking for up in Toledo. And I like it.

Anyway no doubt Woodside is in danger of showing up for an All Star measurement two inches shorter and twenty pounds lighter than the smallest you'd have found acceptable.

At the very least Woodside serves as an illustration of a point you made earlier in that if Ryan Tannehill had his feet, his awareness and his feel for the game, we wouldn't be having a lot of the conversations we're having.

I stagger to think of the wherewithal and quick thinking, coordination it takes to make THIS play in THIS situation:
https://youtu.be/hoyhaZItWKw?t=9003

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs work in terms of pocket movement. His most glaring issue to me is he always likes to move straight back when he's pressured. He'll run straight backwards instead of moving up in the pocket. He can get away with it time and time again because of phenomenal arm strength. And I do mean phenomenal. He'll just keep fading back and throw off his back foot. It's his trademark really.

This will have to be corrected or he can't reach any level of consistency in the NFL despite his marvelous physical gifts. Which would be a shame.

This play kind of serves as both point and counter-point for the point you're making above:

https://youtu.be/eYerRd0me2U?t=176

It's kind of sick that he has the arm to get away with that. But that was a 3rd & 14. I expect a guy to maybe get away with that on 3rd & 4.

As for the criticism, I hate to draw conclusions here. It could sink him. It could also improve. We don't know. I say his work ethic encourages me, as does his general level of foot activity. Adam Gase seems to believe that he taught Jay Cutler how to move in the pocket, and he's going to try and teach Tannehill the same (good luck). Regardless, Gase seems to think he can teach it.

Agree, it's the quickness of his feet that makes him unique as a passer. Quick feet is typically the sign of a quick thinker. I certainly believe I'd have better luck working with Davis Webb as opposed to Ryan Tannehill. No question.

Back
Top Bottom