Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

This play kind of serves as both point and counter-point for the point you're making above:

https://youtu.be/eYerRd0me2U?t=176

It's kind of sick that he has the arm to get away with that. But that was a 3rd & 14. I expect a guy to maybe get away with that on 3rd & 4.

As for the criticism, I hate to draw conclusions here. It could sink him. It could also improve. We don't know. I say his work ethic encourages me, as does his general level of foot activity. Adam Gase seems to believe that he taught Jay Cutler how to move in the pocket, and he's going to try and teach Tannehill the same (good luck). Regardless, Gase seems to think he can teach it.

I think he was just saying that because it sounds better then saying, "nope, you can't teach those insticts, he's either going to learn by himself or he's screwed."

In an interview I saw with Gase he was asked About Cutlers improvement on 3rd downs from one season to the next, and he said it was because Cutler was pretty agile and was doing a good job of buying time and making plays. The way he said it, sounded like he was giving Cutler all the credit.

I think he was just saying that because it sounds better then saying, "nope, you can't teach those insticts, he's either going to learn by himself or he's screwed."

In an interview I saw with Gase he was asked About Cutlers improvement on 3rd downs from one season to the next, and he said it was because Cutler was pretty agile and was doing a good job of buying time and making plays. The way he said it, sounded like he was giving Cutler all the credit.

That's Gase's shtick to go to bat for his guys and give them all the credit but I know for a fact that at times publicly with the media and especially behind closed doors either with the media or with other people, he will detail for you EXACTLY how he "fixed" Jay Cutler and 90% of what he'll talk about will be the drills they ran where he got Jay Cutler to be better in the pocket. I have no doubt it was a big part of his presentation when interviewing for the job, and I know for a fact that it was among the things he elaborated on and detailed for a select group of off the record folks behind closed doors shortly after getting the job.

This is his thing (in his mind). This is something he did. Jay Cutler ultimately was the guy who did the improving, but in Gase's mind he is the guy who got Cutler to improve that facet of his game. And improvement in that facet of his game was in Gase's mind the biggest delta between bad Cutler that everyone hated, and 2015 Cutler that everyone seemed to be alright with.

I will add that Marino is also heavily involved in the effort to get Tannehill to improve his dance steps off his drop and in the pocket. One of my biggest sources of frustration with Tannehill this year is seeing him completely resist displaying things that I absolutely KNOW he is being coached hard on.

Thats interesting, I do remember Cutler looking better in the pocket last year than in the past or even this season. I always figured it was due to him just trying harder, liking Gase, and wanting to prove himself.

Tannehill hAs never displayed good insticts, so I don't think anything is going to change, if Tannehill magically becomes a quality pocket qb with poise, well know Gase is really for real.

I feel bad for the teammates around Tannehill, who see how hard everyone is working to make this work and know god damn well Tannehill will fall flat.

That's Gase's shtick to go to bat for his guys and give them all the credit but I know for a fact that at times publicly with the media and especially behind closed doors either with the media or with other people, he will detail for you EXACTLY how he "fixed" Jay Cutler and 90% of what he'll talk about will be the drills they ran where he got Jay Cutler to be better in the pocket. I have no doubt it was a big part of his presentation when interviewing for the job, and I know for a fact that it was among the things he elaborated on and detailed for a select group of off the record folks behind closed doors shortly after getting the job.

This is his thing (in his mind). This is something he did. Jay Cutler ultimately was the guy who did the improving, but in Gase's mind he is the guy who got Cutler to improve that facet of his game. And improvement in that facet of his game was in Gase's mind the biggest delta between bad Cutler that everyone hated, and 2015 Cutler that everyone seemed to be alright with.

I will add that Marino is also heavily involved in the effort to get Tannehill to improve his dance steps off his drop and in the pocket. One of my biggest sources of frustration with Tannehill this year is seeing him completely resist displaying things that I absolutely KNOW he is being coached hard on.

I'm really liking what Kelly is doing against auburn, oline is getting manhandled and he's making big plays with his legs and delivering dimes.

He has a quick clock and forces the ball into tight coverage sometimes, and that's really his only glaring weakness IMO. I think that can be coached up.

He may not have much of an arm but it's fun watching how quickly and accurately Ryan Higgins diagnoses coverage and gets to his trigger. Guy didn't play at all last year because of Jeff Driskel, who was drafted. Higgins having a heck of a year. He's essentially Logan Woodside. I give the edge to Woodside for the way he works the pocket and feels pressure. I give the edge to Higgins on his ability to read through the coverage and get to the throw quickly.

Guys like that make college football fun. You just don't know if physically they can hack it at the next level.

Nate Peterman was invited to St. Pete.. thoughts?

Peterman has come a long ways in the last 5 years. Maybe the most drastic improvement of any Senior quarterback in this class that I've seen. My most vivid memories of Peterman was how inept and out of place he looked early in his career at Tennessee playing against Florida and SEC competition. He clearly couldn't hack it. Wasn't ready. It was a good move on his part to go the JUCO route and end up at Pittsburgh for his final 2 years.

He's really improved. Has just enough size and just enough physical tools to perhaps be worth developing further at the next level. I think he could probably be as high as my #3 Senior quarterback here behind Kelly and Webb. Simply due to how drastic the dropoff is here among the Seniors behind those two. Mid-Late rounder. I like his upside better than a lot of other Senior quarterbacks out there like C.J. Beathard, etc. Who I never even felt like I would spend a draft pick on, thus never put him on my list.

Now, there was another kid at Tennessee during that time that also transferred out. He suffered an injury as a freshman for Tennessee and ended up redshirting. Transferred to Memphis and took over for Paxton Lynch. Kid named Riley Ferguson. We recruited him a little bit at Bama when he was coming out of high school. Much like Peterman, has decent size and nice physical tools. Led Memphis to 8 wins this year and will be back next year for his Senior season. That's a kid to really watch out for next year. Lit Houston up for over 400 yards and 4 TD's in a 48-44 win a few weeks ago.

Peterman has come a long ways in the last 5 years. Maybe the most drastic improvement of any Senior quarterback in this class that I've seen. My most vivid memories of Peterman was how inept and out of place he looked early in his career at Tennessee playing against Florida and SEC competition. He clearly couldn't hack it. Wasn't ready. It was a good move on his part to go the JUCO route and end up at Pittsburgh for his final 2 years.

He's really improved. Has just enough size and just enough physical tools to perhaps be worth developing further at the next level. I think he could probably be as high as my #3 Senior quarterback here behind Kelly and Webb. Simply due to how drastic the dropoff is here among the Seniors behind those two. Mid-Late rounder. I like his upside better than a lot of other Senior quarterbacks out there like C.J. Beathard, etc. Who I never even felt like I would spend a draft pick on, thus never put him on my list.

Now, there was another kid at Tennessee during that time that also transferred out. He suffered an injury as a freshman for Tennessee and ended up redshirting. Transferred to Memphis and took over for Paxton Lynch. Kid named Riley Ferguson. We recruited him a little bit at Bama when he was coming out of high school. Much like Peterman, has decent size and nice physical tools. Led Memphis to 8 wins this year and will be back next year for his Senior season. That's a kid to really watch out for next year. Lit Houston up for over 400 yards and 4 TD's in a 48-44 win a few weeks ago.

Nathan Peterman to me is a lot like Brandon Doughty in that I can't figure out whether to love him as a prospect or really just love his coaches. I think Matt Canada is a hell of a coach for that position and offensive unit as a whole. And there are a lot of pieces on the offense that are worthy of note from Adam Bisnowaty to Dorian Johnson, Scott Orndoff, James Conner and a guy that intrigues me a lot, Jester Weah.

Father Slimm,

I've only watched one game so far against San Diego State. But I've read into his background and love his grit and mental toughness. It only takes one viewing to see his arm talent warrants a top 75 pick by itself. I'm about to graduate in 5 days so I'm studying for finals, but the first player I write up will be Davis Webb. I'll come back and read your response and post my report..

My question is, is there ANY reason NOT to grade him in the 1st round? Thanks hope you're well. Happy holidays.

Father Slimm,

I've only watched one game so far against San Diego State. But I've read into his background and love his grit and mental toughness. It only takes one viewing to see his arm talent warrants a top 75 pick by itself. I'm about to graduate in 5 days so I'm studying for finals, but the first player I write up will be Davis Webb. I'll come back and read your response and post my report..

My question is, is there ANY reason NOT to grade him in the 1st round? Thanks hope you're well. Happy holidays.

Not really. He's a strong, strong 1st rounder physically. From elite arm strength to the big, tall, strong, thick frame. With quick feet I might add. Production wise he's a 1st rounder. Production has always been there, even during his Texas Tech days.

Feel for the game is fabulous and deadly if you try to blitz him. Throws with great touch and trajectory on a variety of different throws.

Only questions you might have are system and fundamental oriented knocks due to playing his entire career in Air Raid type offenses. I'd like to see him make some adjustments to the way he manages the pocket with pressure in his face. Which you teach him to do. However, I think you overlook that with a prospect this physically gifted. Coach him up on his footwork, drops from center, and using his eyes better and I'd bet you have something after a year or so of polishing him up. He has pro bowl potential as a starter.

To me Davis Webb is the only senior worth investing in. I'd bring in guys like Cooper Rush or Nathan Peterman, but invest in them? Not really. It looks like DeShone Kizer and DeShaun Watson are both out as underclassmen. They're worth investment. Luke Falk is out and he's worth some investment.

But with all of those guys I'd have to keep a watchful eye on their progress and another eye on other quarterbacks market. I don't feel like I can just give any one of those guys 3 years of my franchise's time and resources.

I could do that with Josh Allen. I'd think about it with Patrick Mahomes.

Back
Top Bottom