Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

I'm looking forward to seeing Zach Terrell in St. Pete. He probably doesn't have the tools to ever start in the NFL, but I like his chances to hang around the NFL for a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing Zach Terrell in St. Pete. He probably doesn't have the tools to ever start in the NFL, but I like his chances to hang around the NFL for a while.

He might struggle a little bit, just my opinion. I think Gunner Kiel could be the guy that emerges in West practices. Wes Lunt won't look too bad either.

Slimm,

You got any thoughts on Bart Houston? I have to admit he's sort of come out of nowhere because he was a backup in 2013 and 2014, played one game in 2015, seemed like he lost his starting job to Hornibrook then kind of shared time with one another.

I don't know why but on a lark I took a look at his 2015 game against Illinois. Now I'm looking at some of his 2016 work.

I think seeing only 8 TDs and 5 INTs in the last two years, only 188 pass attempts...pretty easy to dismiss this guy. But I'm looking at him and he's got ideal size, spins a good ball, accurate, makes good decisions particularly seeing things and throwing the ball over the middle of the football field, and then his feet are among the quickest and most resolute in the class.

Some coaches are fed up with the spread and Air Raid and I think a lump of clay like Houston may appeal to them coming from Wisconsin.

You know it's cliche to invoke the name of Tom Brady but it's a bit uncanny inasmuch as Michigan seemed like they couldn't make up their mind between Brady and Drew Henson, and quite frankly Houston plays a lot like Brady. They work the same areas of the field, make similar throws, even similar stature and mechanics.

He might struggle a little bit, just my opinion. I think Gunner Kiel could be the guy that emerges in West practices. Wes Lunt won't look too bad either.

I could definitely see it. His physical limitations probably won't play great in practice, and Kiel won't have the same limitations.

I could definitely see it. His physical limitations probably won't play great in practice, and Kiel won't have the same limitations.

Exactly. Having been to those practices they really try and focus on a lot of throws to the perimeter and pro style throws. Terrell is IMO more of a dink and dunk guy, and a total conceptual command of an offense guy. When you watch the video of all these guys side by side, it's easy to see kind of which ones the scouts are going to like in this setting and I think for West practice it's going to be Gunner Kiel and Wes Lunt. But both guys are going to be prone to making bad decisions in the game.

One guy that I haven;t seen anyone talk about is Dane Evans from Tulsa. He's got the arm, he's can place a deep ball, and he shows really great creativity and feel for the game.

[video=youtube;N-MC7jCs7Mo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-MC7jCs7Mo[/video]

I just heard 49ers GM, John Lynch speak glowingly of CJ Beathard. He explained that San Francisco moved up in the 3rd round to draft him because he was the QB that Kyle Shanahan wanted. He also talked about Beathard having elite torque and this was the first time I had heard that as a key parameter in identifying an NFL QB. Slimm didn't even rate Beathard on his list.
While I was aware of Davis Webb, Nate Peterman and others, CJ Beathard was not a name that got much notice, let alone the urgency to move up in the 3rd round to draft him. Kyle Shanahan coming off his Super Bowl with Atlanta to take up his first head coaching appointment is presumably no dummy. What are the 49ers seeing that others are not? Welcome feedback.

I just heard 49ers GM, John Lynch speak glowingly of CJ Beathard. He explained that San Francisco moved up in the 3rd round to draft him because he was the QB that Kyle Shanahan wanted. He also talked about Beathard having elite torque and this was the first time I had heard that as a key parameter in identifying an NFL QB. Slimm didn't even rate Beathard on his list.
While I was aware of Davis Webb, Nate Peterman and others, CJ Beathard was not a name that got much notice, let alone the urgency to move up in the 3rd round to draft him. Kyle Shanahan coming off his Super Bowl with Atlanta to take up his first head coaching appointment is presumably no dummy. What are the 49ers seeing that others are not? Welcome feedback.

He's just referrencing the involvement of the hips into the throw when talking about torque. Beathard has to get his hips that involved in order to generate a requisite amount of velocity due to lack of arm strength.

Kizer is the one quarterback I would describe in this class as having elite torque. He gets his hips involved into the throw moreso than any other quarterback I studied. Even without the torque, he has terrific arm strength.

The problem for Beathard is that he's going to be required to make a lot of different throws from a variety of different platforms and angles where hip torque can't be a factor. You have to rely on arm strength alone in the NFL on a lot of throws.

I never could think much of Beathard as a prospect. He was never able to lift Iowa. They lost games they weren't supposed to lose and almost lost some more they weren't supposed to. It was the running game carrying the offense, or nothing at all.

Lynch and myself simply don't see eye to eye on Beathard. Ultimately, I think he's going to end up disappointed with his choice if he thinks Beathard is capable of being much more than a backup.

Back
Top Bottom