Slimm's 2019 Cornerbacks (seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Cornerbacks (seniors)

Thoughts on Deion Harris out of North Dakota. He was being talked about as a 1st round pick a couple years ago prior to blowing out his knee and has been playing very well this year so far.

Thoughts on Deion Harris out of North Dakota. He was being talked about as a 1st round pick a couple years ago prior to blowing out his knee and has been playing very well this year so far.

I wrote up a quick scouting review of him last year in one of my cornerback threads. Shouldn't be more than a few pages back if you want to find it.

Harris and Chattanooga's Kareem Orr are the two FCS corners I'd give draftable grades. Orr is playing well too this season. Transferred from Arizona St. a few years ago. I've pretty much kept a bead on him ever since.

I believe Iman Marshall is either going to have to play in a scheme where he's allowed to jam receivers off the line, or move to safety in the NFL. He just doesn't quite have the speed or ability to flip his hips and mirror on the perimeter. I'd probably be more comfortable trying him at safety and see if he proves he can make one on one tackles playing from the hash.

I think his instincts and ability to recognize routes are what really stands out the most. Although I do worry about his inability to find the football with his back turned at the next level. I think his best fit is to a team that likes to play a lot of off man coverages.

I wouldn't necessarily consider him locked in at #1 for me personally. I really like the Oruwariye kid. Nice bump and run - press corner.

I know Baker gets a lot of credit for shutting down Emanuel Hall when UGA played Missouri, but I feel it's a little bit of a false narrative.

Emanuel Hall's hamstring shut Emanuel Hall down. He wasn't even supposed to be playing. He shouldn't have been out there. He had been nursing it since the Wyoming game, but they needed him as a decoy. That's all he was vs. Georgia. He couldn't even hardly run.

I'd love to see that matchup with both players healthy.

Just got to Oruwariye the other day, and I def see why you like him. Positions his body really well, great length and ball skills, physical. Seeing that he's projected in the high 4.5's, which might keep him out of the 1st but wouldn't preclude him from being an outstanding pro - quickness and agility look solid. Because of his length, strength, and body positioning, I was reminded of Richard Sherman on a few plays - the INT against Pitt especially. I wouldn't rule him out of the 1st, but he'll probably have to run in the low 4.5's for teams to like him that early. I think Boyd is a better athlete and also very good, but I like Oruwariye's patience and ability to find the ball better.

Decent chance one of them or Baker falls to the mid-2nd, and if your a team that is willing to be flexible, I'd love that value.

Just got to Oruwariye the other day, and I def see why you like him. Positions his body really well, great length and ball skills, physical. Seeing that he's projected in the high 4.5's, which might keep him out of the 1st but wouldn't preclude him from being an outstanding pro - quickness and agility look solid. Because of his length, strength, and body positioning, I was reminded of Richard Sherman on a few plays - the INT against Pitt especially. I wouldn't rule him out of the 1st, but he'll probably have to run in the low 4.5's for teams to like him that early. I think Boyd is a better athlete and also very good, but I like Oruwariye's patience and ability to find the ball better.

Decent chance one of them or Baker falls to the mid-2nd, and if your a team that is willing to be flexible, I'd love that value.

He usually does a good job of finding the football and coming up big in crucial moments - like the game winning interception in OT vs App. St. That's why I was a little surprised to see him look so lost in man coverage matched up against Felton Davis when Lewerke threw him the game winning touchdown pass. Oruwariye was just totally lost on that play. And you have to know in that moment Lewerke is looking for his best player in Davis.

I think his upside is significant and should be a starter at the next level. But I'd probably take DeAndre Baker over him at this point. I just think Baker's instincts and ability recognize route concepts allow him to play one step ahead. He's mastered shooting his hands through the receiver's at the catch point to break up passes. Looks like he could do it in his sleep.

Juan Thornhill now has 3 INT's in the last two weeks. I think your designation for him as a Nickel DB is perfect, though. He makes a ton of plays around the LOS, and his versatility to play deep is great, but you won't get the most out of him playing on the outside. He's a playmaker and he finds the ball. Nickel DB would put him in position to play to his strengths. He's twitchy but doesn't look especially fast, and his instincts and physicality are what you want playing close to the ball.

Slimm, you check out Rock Ya-Sin yet? He's been playing well, and his name is one for the ages.

Yeah I've seen him making plays when I'm taking notes of other guys for Temple. I've taken particular notice when he's matched up on WR's that are on my board (Anthony Johnson, Justin Hobbs, Trevon Brown, etc.) and he's done a really good job. He's just another one of these long press corners, but one thing he does really well that some others don't always do - is turn around and locate the football with his back to the ball.

I do wonder how well he runs, but what stands out to me is how loose he appears to be in his hips and how smooth he can transition from backpedal to turn and run and get in phase with the receiver. It's pretty impressive. And he's demonstrated really good ball skills.

What I want to do first though is go back and look at some of his games while he was at Presbyterian playing against FBS competition. What's your read on him?

Yeah I've seen him making plays when I'm taking notes of other guys for Temple. I've taken particular notice when he's matched up on WR's that are on my board (Anthony Johnson, Justin Hobbs, Trevon Brown, etc.) and he's done a really good job. He's just another one of these long press corners, but one thing he does really well that some others don't always do - is turn around and locate the football with his back to the ball.

I do wonder how well he runs, but what stands out to me is how loose he appears to be in his hips and how smooth he can transition from backpedal to turn and run and get in phase with the receiver. It's pretty impressive. And he's demonstrated really good ball skills.

What I want to do first though is go back and look at some of his games while he was at Presbyterian playing against FBS competition. What's your read on him?

You summed it up well tbh. Fluid athlete, good ball skills, physical with good overall activity. Read from Brugler that at one point he hoped to become an Olympic wrestler - pretty cool for a CB. Agree that he doesn't look very fast, though. Day 3 is my guess, but I think he's a guy that could develop into a solid starter.

You summed it up well tbh. Fluid athlete, good ball skills, physical with good overall activity. Read from Brugler that at one point he hoped to become an Olympic wrestler - pretty cool for a CB. Agree that he doesn't look very fast, though. Day 3 is my guess, but I think he's a guy that could develop into a solid starter.

Yeah he's a kid you almost want to project as a safety in the NFL if he doesn't run well. Although sometimes there are things a guy has that are even more important than speed that make up for a lack of it.

The more fluid you are in the hips, the slower you can be and still play corner without having to move to safety. Throw in some really good instincts, ball skills, and a hard worker that likes to study film, and a scheme that lets you get your hands on a receiver and you can surpass a lot of guys significantly faster than you. There's been some guys start for a longtime at corner in the NFL lately and have nice careers that were running mid 4.6's - due to hip flexibility and instincts. Guys like Josh Norman come to mind.

If Ya-Sin can run 4.55 or better, he can rank really high among my Senior crop considering the other traits he has.

Most Underrated: Rock Ya-Sin, Brian Peavey, Isaiah Johnson, Juan Thornhill, Ugo Amadi.

Most Overrated: N/A.

Most Underrated: Rock Ya-Sin, Brian Peavey, Isaiah Johnson, Juan Thornhill, Ugo Amadi.

Most Overrated: N/A.

I'm glad to see this because I've been meaning to ask you about him.

He looks just absolutely wonderful, to me.

Give me 11 guys that play like he plays. Damn.

I'm glad to see this because I've been meaning to ask you about him.

He looks just absolutely wonderful, to me.

Give me 11 guys that play like he plays. Damn.

I wanted ifo ekpre-olomu to work out soooo bad, so im really rooting for this guy now. Reminds me a lot of him. May be the name, jersey number, and team

Back
Top Bottom