Smokescreen? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smokescreen?

The Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes will take some work. If he progresses like everyone is thinking, then he will probably be the 1st pick in 2021. I would be fine with going 0-16 to get him. Trading up would be way too costly.

Trading up might not even be possible. The team picking #1 overall might need a QB.

You need veteran players too. Just being young for the sake of being young doesn’t guarantee results. We’d be contenders w our current roster if we had Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben or Mahomes etc. I understand the sentiment of the post - just think this can be done more surgically - starting w QB.
Nah...a rebuild doesn't have to start with a QB, especially when there are two other positions that are going to require to dollar (DE & CB). I can wait a year...or two, for a QB, positions are filled. Even in 2020, I'm not sure if I don't draft my QB and bring him along in '21...ala KC and Mahomes.

I'm on no hurry to perpetually go 8-8...I'm also in no hurry to perpetually go 10-6 with a first round loss in the playoffs.

But there is at least one on here that swears "suck for luck" never happened...They just happened to be that "Lucky" to be bad that season.
Personally... I believe what I saw that year...a pro team doing nothing to try and win and everything in their power to try a lose.
Well, I for one think that it was quite obvious that the Colts did successfully "Suck for Luck" and kudos to them for doing that. The one real loser in all of that was Peyton Manning, but I was extremely happy to see him get a Super Bowl victory after being jettisoned by the Colts and before he retired. He was having a BAD year, and his play had fallen off a cliff, but he became the game manager they needed and let the defense win it for him. Always the ultimate team player, Peyton Manning deserved that win.

As simple as what Manning did, they couldn't find another game manager capable of not screwing it up, and ended up wasting the rest of that team's immense talent. They did lose some talent after that loss too, but that roster was good enough to compete for another Super Bowl with even a mediocre QB.

The Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes will take some work. If he progresses like everyone is thinking, then he will probably be the 1st pick in 2021. I would be fine with going 0-16 to get him. Trading up would be way too costly.
Heh, if he were in the 2019 draft Trevor Lawrence would be the 1st overall pick, it's not even close. No question he'll be the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck, and unless he has a career ending injury, he'll definitely be the 1st overall pick of the 2021 draft.

I completely agree with you, there are going to be a LOT of teams "Lose for Lawrence" in 2020. The "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes was about 6 teams (including the hapless Dolphins who went on the Matt Moore win streak after being eliminated!) and that was hard to do. But I'm expecting at least 8 teams in the "Lose for Lawrence" sweepstakes … and it may require a team to go winless. Think of all the teams with veteran QB's that could be in the market by 2021 … Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, Packers, etc. … and all the rebuilding teams too.

Tanking is a delicate balance. If you tell your fans you're doing that then selling tickets is nearly impossible, and that hurts the bottom line of the NFL, so other owners really frown upon that. Coaches know they're the guys going to be on the firing line for losing, regardless of what the GM and Owner say. Getting someone (Hue Jackson) to accept all those losses is tough to do. And inevitably, once the team turns the corner and starts looking promising, they fire the guy who accumulated all those losses and give all that fresh ammo to a new hotshot coach.

The best tank I've ever seen is the Indianapolis Colts' "Suck for Luck" campaign. They kept playing that incredibly inept QB and just stunk up the joint. Peyton Manning had willed that roster into winning records, and without him the team fell hard, but it was his stand-in who was unbelievably bad that clinched them the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. The fans were so bummed about Manning--the legend--and sad that he was at the end of his career and suffering that neck injury, that they were ready to hold a vigil for him and use those losses as a testament to just how great Peyton Manning was. They wore that 1-year down cycle as a badge of honor as they eyed the next great QB prospect and Peyton Manning prodigy Andrew Luck. Sure, Luck had injuries and hasn't been as reliable as they had hoped … but that tanking campaign was nearly painless! And it was so incredibly effective!

IMHO, that's gotta be the blueprint for the Dolphins. And if it doesn't go right in 2019 and we win too many games to get our franchise QB in 2020, then just stay the course (and starve the coach's resources) to get even worse for 2021 and the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. So in a way, the Lose-Lose mentality is a Win-Win situation. I know, it's lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's a pig, whatchagonnado?
Trevor Lawrence is pretty incredible. Will be fun watching him develop considering how far along he already is.

I just think there's a chance Miami could find their quarterback in 2019. With Flores, it will be interesting to see what type of quarterback the Dolphins can win with. Will they employ a similar offense to what NE runs? If so, you need that smart, accurate passer more than the guy with the rocket arm. Perhaps, that is easier to find????

I think what is being discussed in Davie is a rebuild. Dump bad contracts, no high priced free agents will be signed, rebuild the lines through the draft and maybe bargain young free agents and let the chips fall as they may. The coaches and players will be playing to win. The media is interpreting this as trying to lose. Not gonna happen. I predict a 5-8 win team and some very dissapointed posters.

Trevor Lawrence is pretty incredible. Will be fun watching him develop considering how far along he already is.

I just think there's a chance Miami could find their quarterback in 2019. With Flores, it will be interesting to see what type of quarterback the Dolphins can win with. Will they employ a similar offense to what NE runs? If so, you need that smart, accurate passer more than the guy with the rocket arm. Perhaps, that is easier to find????
The person who can make that Patriots offense work is not in the 2019 draft … at all. Sure, Lock has potential, Grier has production, Murray has potential to be explosive, but none of them are accurate enough or good enough decision makers to make that work.

I don't believe they are tanking. I think they are going to make cap room by getting rid of large contracts and let the young guys play. They will probably play Tannehill or sign a guy in free agency to a two year deal.

I think they will focus on the offensive/defensive line, because it's been proven that we don't have depth at the positions. They probably believe that these actions will result in a top 10 pick, but I don't see them throwing any games or playing Fales at QB. They still need to sell tickets, so telling the fan base they are losing on purpose wouldn't be a good idea financially.
Idk, if you start a healthy tannehill and fix the o-line, along with the young talent, I feel like that lands us right back in the 6-10 to 10-6 range again.

But Ross said it will be a process...things are changing around Fins land and losing is part of the process.
The sad thing is losing has been the process for the better part of 20 years now so what he is really saying is prepare for more of the same.

Nah. The problem is that we haven't been a 'losing' team. We have been mediocre. The two times we were bad, we took Jake Long over Matt Ryan and we took Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rogers. Don't forget we traded up in 2013 to #3 for Dion 'f'ing' Jordan in one of the worst draft classes in a long time. We should have taken Lane Johnson there, if anyone, but if we stay put or trade back we could have easily gotten Deandre Hopkins.

Idk, if you start a healthy tannehill and fix the o-line, along with the young talent, I feel like that lands us right back in the 6-10 to 10-6 range again.

I'm not sure they start Tannehill. I think they may and try to trade him or just cut him; maybe sign a Bridgewater type QB to a two year deal to see what they have. If he does well, great! However, if he's bad in 2019, you have a decent draft pick.

Heh, if he were in the 2019 draft Trevor Lawrence would be the 1st overall pick, it's not even close. No question he'll be the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck, and unless he has a career ending injury, he'll definitely be the 1st overall pick of the 2021 draft.

I completely agree with you, there are going to be a LOT of teams "Lose for Lawrence" in 2020. The "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes was about 6 teams (including the hapless Dolphins who went on the Matt Moore win streak after being eliminated!) and that was hard to do. But I'm expecting at least 8 teams in the "Lose for Lawrence" sweepstakes … and it may require a team to go winless. Think of all the teams with veteran QB's that could be in the market by 2021 … Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, Packers, etc. … and all the rebuilding teams too.

Yeah, you are right, there is going to be a lotnof teams losing for Lawrence. Brady will definitely be gone by then. I couldn’t imagine the Patriots drafting the kid. I would be totally fine with Miami going 0-16 to get him.

Doing poorly so you can get better thru the draft is non-sense. Consider that you typically get 6 draft picks and if you are good at drafting then three or four of those draft picks pan out. There are 5 offensive linemen and typically 4 (plus up to three or minus one depending on formations used). That means you need to get at least 9 players. If you rely on the draft, then it will take two years to get nine or more draft picks. Lets say you go for linemen using 5 draft picks a year for two years. Of those ten linemen, only five will pan out so you actually need to draft 5 linemen a year for 4 years to get 10 linemen who can play well.

Then in the fifth year comes around and you need to start to draft for replacement linemen as your previous picks get hurt, or traded, or leave in free agency. As you can see this is a never ending process and it requires Free Agency selections to help fill the holes not fixed by the draft.

Seeing this as a never ending process, how in the world will tanking make it any better? All you do is increase your potential for the number you pick at in the draft. This can never account for what you loose when you clear the decks of players when tanking!

Soooo...lemme get this straight so there's no misunderstanding.

Do you want to stay the same as we've always been for the past 20 years, or do you want to at least attempt to improve on what Jeff Fisher aptly named "The 7-9 bullsh*t"?

Back
Top Bottom