So, offense, what happened? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So, offense, what happened?

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
Ever since the bye, our O has sucked. What happened? Is it all Tua? Has he just missed throws? Gotten confused by the looks the defense is giving him? Is it McDaniel not scheming well? Do we just have no weapons beyond Hill and Waddle and we are now getting exposed?

On offense Tua is a spot thrower... cover the spot and add pressure up front and there you go.... 3 and out.

On defense... give your opponent 40 minutes TOP and even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

It's all timing,,, redirect the receivers, drop the LB's in the lanes, pressure with the front 3 or 4 and dare the Refs to call PI.
Which isn't happing as much as it should be, so as long as defenses are allowed to push and grab, McDaniel and Tua MUST adjust. Take what they give you. Dink and dunk until the intermediate middle opens up again.

It is a combination of things but one that stands out is that Tua has not been the same since this play where he got bent over backwards vs Houston. He seems jumpy. The line has provided adequate protection these last two games but I don't think he is trusting them. That is throwing him off his game. No running game, over-reliance on home run balls, questionable play calling, stubborn lack of adjustments and an avalanche of discipline penalties are problems as well.

Looks like SF exposed our offense and the Chargers followed the blueprint. The Chargers had a lot of players out and still made us look like ****. This would have been a lot uglier if James and Bosa would have been playing.

Looking forward to next week, Buffalo is significantly better than the Chargers. We’ll be lucky if we finish this game without multiple injuries.

On offense Tua is a spot thrower... cover the spot and add pressure up front and there you go.... 3 and out.

On defense... give your opponent 40 minutes TOP and even a blind squirrel can find a nut.
I think this summarizes it well.

Tua anticipates his throws, so he is throwing to a spot before the receiver is truly open.

If the defense manages to give him the look he wants but flood the area he’s supposed to throw to, it will be covered by the time it gets thrown.

I think it’s kind of an extension of the issue he had last season. Remember the “Tua doesn’t know what is NFL open, only Alabama open” argument?

He countered that by quickly processing what is happening and throwing to the spot before the receiver is truly open, trusting that his guy is going to be there before the DB.

What it seems teams are doing now is flooding the spot where he’s supposed to throw to before the receiver gets there. DBs are also very physical with our WRs, essentially messing up their timing and positioning so that they’re not at their usual spots.

He sees the cues to throw it to the spot, but once the ball gets there the DBs are covering the area and the receivers are slightly off of their marks.

Honestly, I think the offense is going to have to counter that again by just reverting back somewhat to what our offense last year used to do, which is rely on the short passing game, checkdown frequently, throw it to the flats more often and try the occasional bomb until teams back away from the middle of the field. Might have to rework the progressions on some plays so that they prioritize other areas of the field.

I’m just not sure why this change hasn’t been implemented yet, may be too steep a learning curve in such a short time, or they chalked up the niners game up to a fluke and thought things would get back to normal.

Ever since the bye, our O has sucked. What happened? Is it all Tua? Has he just missed throws? Gotten confused by the looks the defense is giving him? Is it McDaniel not scheming well? Do we just have no weapons beyond Hill and Waddle and we are now getting exposed?
Tua throws mostly to the middle of the field for reasons that we have discussed at great lengths. If you take away the middle of the field and add a nominal pass rush and boom a sputtering offense.

Now there are two solutions to the problem, either throw the ball on deep outs or have a power running game that reduces hybrid coverage schemes.

I love Coach but starting off against the worst run defense by having Tua throw three straight incompletions was maybe in hindsight a bad call, but for a chargers defense missing a lot of the starting secondary, I can see his reasons, I think we just executed the plays very poorly , the weather in Buffalo looks to be bad for the Fins also
im fearing the losing continues ,other than maybe Green Bay we have lose the rest of them if coach don’t fix this.

Tua is playing like crap, but he has an opportunity to once and for all silence the haters. Go into Buffalo on a short week, play in Bad weather and come out on top. I believe this can happen this week. I refuse to dwell on the last 2 games 💪

Tua throws mostly to the middle of the field for reasons that we have discussed at great lengths. If you take away the middle of the field and add a nominal pass rush and boom a sputtering offense.

Now there are two solutions to the problem, either throw the ball on deep outs or have a power running game that reduces hybrid coverage schemes.
While I mostly agree, are deep outs, the hardest throws to make on a consistent basis, the only solution through the air though? How are they covering the flats? Without looking at the tape, I’d think there is some space to be had there if we tried those throws more often.

Back
Top Bottom