So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

They'll just restructure contracts.

Hill has 16mil base salary and a 10mil roster bonus last year showed he was still a top 3 receiver in the league.
Can restructure 25mil of his base and roster bonus and spread it out over 4 years

New cap hit becomes 1mil base salary + 5.1mil OG prorated bonus + 6.25mil restructured bonus + 100k workout +250k other = 12.7mil cap hit in 2023
~+19mil cap savings.

2024 cap hit = 24.8mil prior, 31.05mil after
25 cap = ~35mil
etc...

If they see Ogbah as still part of the short term future, they can restructure his fully guaranteed salary into a signing bonus as well.

They can free up cap for 2023 with ease, but with some additional hits later on. With Tua's new deal on the horizon, I'm sure they won't go stupid, but I guarantee they set up 2-3 contracts easily for 2023 to be restructured as need be.

Last edited:
Like other have said, we can’t cut Ogbah this year but we can cut him in 2024. By cutting him post june 2024 we'd save 15.8mill......his dead money is "only" 2mill at that point so expect him to be here next season and be gone after that.

Lean times ahead. But if we are lucky with our limited draft picks and some of our youngsters take the next step we can maintain/improve. Do you think it possible or good to try to trade X (Hoard) and his contract (if we can find a partner) for a 3rd-4rth rounder?
Who’s gonana trade for X after that below average injury plagued season with his contract and cap hit? Only an idiot would trade for X, and only an idiot didn’t trade him back when he had trade value and wanted more money. But I digress, this was so predictable

I totally understand your desire, but I want a team that is prepared to be a dynasty for 5+ years (like the dreaded PATS used to be, and they were very CAP conservative) rather then being in CAP hell trying to make splashes but in reality painting themselves into a corner. Consider me greedy. I want multiple Super bowls not just 1.
Yeah, they had Tom Brady.

They will sign him for big bucks because ohmahgod he is so good, we cannot afford to lose him, then 2 years later it will be oh sht, we're fkd, just like with Howard, and Ogbah, and Byron, and Baker, and even now Chubb, and the list goes on and on.
Christian Wilkins is a dominant interior defensive lineman that we drafted. You sign that guy, and he will be dominant for us and a key piece of Vic Fangio’s defense, or you watch him go and win a superbowl with another team while he’s a dominant player on that other teams dominant defense.

Aren’t all Miami dolphins fans tired of “resetting”? What kind of plan is that? The team is built to win now. We have to juggle some cap space and we need to upgrade Offensive tackle, Linebacker, and cornerback, but if Tua is healthy next year, the defense should be improved by adding Fangio, we should be contending for a Super Bowl period.

And you wan’t to reset now And get rid of our best player on defense or let him walk? Thus the GIPHY

And you wan’t to reset now? Thus my GIPHY…

That's right, because we are in cap hell, CG overpaid for defense that underperformed, and it is time to hit the brakes, let the big bucks free agents hit the market and get paid somewhere else. I do not care if he is a halloffamer.
More than that, they should cut guys like Baker and Wilson who make about $8 mil and sign guys who make $1-2 mil instead. Reset.

That's right, because we are in cap hell, CG overpaid for defense that underperformed, and it is time to hit the brakes, let the big bucks free agents hit the market and get paid somewhere else.
More than that, they should cut guys like Baker and Wilson who make about $8 mil and sign guys who make $1-2 mil instead. Reset.
Yeah, let’s go back to the days when we had tons of cap room and no talent on the roster and no shot to win anything. Did you know that Christian Wilkins ranked in the top 3 in run defense AND pass rushing for interior linemen last year? He’s not injury prone (knock on wood), he‘s been improving every year, and now he is one of the top 3 interior defensive linemen in the league.

The cap can be navigated, you’ll see. We have a super talented roster. We need to improve Offensive Tackle, Linebacker, and cornerback, but we’ll be fine. And our defensive front will be fierce in Vic Fangio’s scheme with Wilkins, Davis, Sieler, Chubb, Phillips, and hopefully a healthy Emanuel Ogbah.

The key to the 2023 season will be Tua’s health, and possibly the quality of his backup, not the salary cap…

Ogbah’s new contract last year essentially made him trade-proof for the first 2-years (22-23) of the 4-year/$65MM deal. Very common Grier contract: high guaranteed $ upfront with early outs for the team.
I hadn't noticed that but I like it. He'll be under enormous pressure to restructure a few contacts this year, though. Let's see how he handles it. Personally I don't mind restructures in principle. As long as they don't become routine and are limited to one or two key players, they are fine.

My guess is Grier is going to go all the way to try and make a splash to take advantage of Tua's last cheap years. He's been hit and miss in FA, but it might be worth a shot.

Who’s gonana trade for X after that below average injury plagued season with his contract and cap hit? Only an idiot would trade for X, and only an idiot didn’t trade him back when he had trade value and wanted more money. But I digress, this was so predictable
Calling Houston lol!

That's right, because we are in cap hell, CG overpaid for defense that underperformed, and it is time to hit the brakes, let the big bucks free agents hit the market and get paid somewhere else. I do not care if he is a halloffamer.
Cap hell? We don't have to get rid of anyone we don't want to. We have the ability to sign new contracts to whomever we want as well. Not sure what your definition of hell is, but this aint it.

I'm not certain Grier overpaid or Boyer didn't get potential out of the unit.

Funny you point to the defense for cap hell. Did Hill, Armstead and Williams come for free?

Sorry to disagree but trading away everyone not on a rookie contract for more picks is probably not a path to sustainable success...but hey why not try and see lol jk

Camping Ring Of Fire GIF by Outside TV

Miami Dolphins be like, F/A pfft what cap problems?

Back
Top Bottom