So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

I fear you’re right, Fever. Committing top-end dollars to Chubb, Wilkins, Ogbah, and then Seiler followed by Phillips won’t likely happen. Yes, we could offload Ogbah after next year but those savings are needed elsewhere. Seiler’s the type of player everyone wants on their team: productive, durable, energetic, unselfish.
Ogbah's a goner.

Listening to Sam Madison speak on it, and him seemingly retained, suggests that relationship isn't on the best of terms.

I'd agree that when healthy, he's a quality starting CB. But I just got a hunch more and more will leak out on how Byron handled this entire situation and how he didn't want to push through discomfort to play.

When you have guys like X and Terron, who played through tough injuries all year, just to watch Byron finesse Miami with a restructure and then surprise surgery and then not seeing the field all year. . . Not sure he's gonna be the most welcome person back.

I have been a Byron Jones guy, but I have him as cut (somebody could also send Miami a token day 3 pick to gamble on him without having to give him guaranteed money). While that means we won't see the direct impact of that entire $14 million as soon as the transaction hits . . . We know in the overall scope of the cap, it won't be there.

As for other cap saving measures, the restructures serve as the easiest method.

You are absolutely correct when you say the way the contracts were structured are smart and it's better to pay money as you go vs. credit.

But they are structured that way because you can restructure them on a as you need to basis and get cap relief when you need to.

Miami was the #1 team in the AFC with their QB playing at a high level on a rookie deal. They took a swing probably a year earlier than they wanted to but hell for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 22 years, I can't blame em. The QB stays healthy in that Gbay game and into the playoffs I think we are playing this weekend. Tough break.

Now they will need to restructure a few deals, potentially make a trade or 2 and really have a solid draft. I also expect them to look at the cut line harder vs. FA to build their compensatory bank up in 2024. They can be players in FA as well, but it won't be like we saw in 2020 and 2022.
With respect to the Jones situation...I don't think Madison did anything differently than the front office did while Finheaven burned.

Its not even a question at this point about next years backup being ST. You'll likely have to take a swing at another late round QB to add to the just in case shelf but other than that you can't rely invest in a QB.

I never watched much of Bridgewater before this season because I just never cared too. When we signed him I assumed he was more capable than he was given his lengthy career, despite the injury, he's been around and had a good rep.

That reputation was phony as TB has no instincts.

I've thrown RT17 out there as possible veteran who'd have an interest in the back up job in Miami. He'd have to play for significantly less than he'd make as a bridge QB in Atlanta, Washington, Indy, Carolina or Houston though. I'll give him playing time incentives for sure but not much of a 2023 commitment. Indy, Washington and Carolina have already wasted so much time and money in second tier QB's. Houston would make sense for RT as he's a Texas native and they have Laremy Tunsil and Dameon Pierce in the fold. The lack of weapons would be a reason he'd pass on the chance to play though.

Tua is absolutely still my QB1 but you couldn't do better than RT17 (or RT whatever number he'd have to select because of a certain Penguin) behind him. Tannehill's a class act who'd never undermine Tua in anyway and would certainly help him out. Tannehill's also a very smart guy who would know its more likely than not at this point that he would get to play with those fancy toy's Tua has.
Anything that brings Lauren Tannehill back to Miami is alright by me!

Stevie, correct me if I am wrong but isn't his money guaranteed? If so we would need to trade him and not cut him?
I am not aware if the money is guaranteed. If it is, then yes we'd need to trade him or put him out on the field.

Anything that brings Lauren Tannehill back to Miami is alright by me!

Appears to be pipe dream still. Doesn’t look like Tennessee is going to dump Tannehill and if they do he’s going to command real money.

So ya I brought it up and I’m letting it go.

Off to wondering if Trubisky will accept $4M.

Ogbah's a goner.
I don't know about that. You can't cut him, and I think you will have a tough time getting a trade partner to take on 15m guaranteed contract for a slightly above average player coming off a serious injury.

My guess is he will be here unless the Phins are willing to eat a substantial part of his salary, and in that case, what's the point?

I am not aware if the money is guaranteed. If it is, then yes we'd need to trade him or put him out on the field.
I usually check contract specifics before making fact like statements.......lol

Will be one of many interesting first year position/player evaluations by Fangio.

Ogbah was a 2016 draft target of the Bears when Fangio was the DC. He liked the OSU DE enough to bring him in for a visit, and said to have placed a 2nd round value on him. Cleveland ended up picking him R2.1 (#33).

Ogbah’s new contract last year essentially made him trade-proof for the first 2-years (22-23) of the 4-year/$65MM deal. Very common Grier contract: high guaranteed $ upfront with early outs for the team.

Cutting Ogbah outright would add $21MM in dead to Miami’s cap in 2023. Trading him would generate future cap savings, but, as @Mach2 and @Feverdream stated, other teams would be leery of taking on a contract with this much remaining guarantee $ for a player coming off a major back injury.

Absent a trade, and if Ogbah underwhelms, the most logical time to cut ties is 2024 when the dead money cap hit reduces to $4MM.

Last edited:
Ogbah has a salary cap of $15 million in 2023. Cutting him would cost an additional $6 million because his dead cap hit would be $21 million.

I don’t see any team trading for him because of the $15 million it would cost them in 2023. Cutting him and taking a $21million dead cap hit makes no sense at all.

They might see if they can restructure his contract if he is okay with doing that but either way I expect Ogbah to be a Miami Dolphin next season.

Back
Top Bottom