So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

Jason Sanders salary isn't guaranteed so he's an easy cut and the first move we'll be making. Had a great game in Buffalo for sure but the season as whole can't be rewritten with one postseason game. I'd talk to him about coming back but that 3.375M needs to be lopped off immediately.

Contract Notes:
  • $7.52M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2021 salary + 2021 roster bonus + 2022 salary)
  • 2021 Roster Bonus: $1.85M

I have my own thoughts on the salary cap I'll be posting soon enough that are a little different than the OP's.

We're going to be giving up some draft picks to clear cap space this year. No one is giving us a draft pick for Cedrick Wilson’s $7M salary. More like the other way around. I also think the Browns would have an interest in bringing back Ogbah, but we’d have to East $4-5M of that salary. They need to replace Clowney and they don’t have a first round pick so options will be limited for Cleveland.

The lone advantage we have this off season is lack of quality free agents and teams with cash to spend. Some teams will be more interested in trading for vets than spending big on signing bonus’s.

I am still irritated that we signed Ogbah and tagged Gesicki to begin with. Clearly Chris Grier doesn’t have a clue what proper value is. He’s a complete failure and his extensions have been worse than his drafting.

Not concerned about any of our FA's. I'd love Mostert back but I can't rely on him so I can't worry about RB's, nor am I going to pay one.

This is not an offense that should pay RBs, this is an offense that should make RBs.
Actually... it is.

Here's the note on his contract from OTC:

Jason Sanders signed a five year, $22 million contract extension with the Dolphins. $10 million of the contract is guaranteed, $7.52 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing. Sanders 2021 and 2022 salaries are fully guaranteed and he will receive a $1.85 million roster bonus and $2 million signing bonus in 2021. If on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2022 league year he will earn another $2.5 million in salary guaranteed on his 2023 salary. Another $1.2 million in incentives are available.

Here’s a prediction: If the Chiefs don’t tag Orlando Brown again, Dolphins will move (Fin)heaven and earth to sign him.

Now I say that fully expecting the Chiefs to go ahead and give him a 20% bump in pay with a second consecutive tag or a long term deal.

Actually... it is.

Here's the note on his contract from OTC:

Jason Sanders signed a five year, $22 million contract extension with the Dolphins. $10 million of the contract is guaranteed, $7.52 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing. Sanders 2021 and 2022 salaries are fully guaranteed and he will receive a $1.85 million roster bonus and $2 million signing bonus in 2021. If on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2022 league year he will earn another $2.5 million in salary guaranteed on his 2023 salary. Another $1.2 million in incentives are available.

Guess I’ll have to use OTC and not Sporttrac for cap info if they are lacking up to date info.

That’s a little annoying as I was banking on cutting him.

Guess I’ll have to use OTC and not Sporttrac for cap info if they are lacking up to date info.

That’s a little annoying as I was banking on cutting him.
You have to dig deep into some of these contracts to find the guarantees. So much of the time, these things trigger after certain conditions are met.

You have to dig deep into some of these contracts to find the guarantees. So much of the time, these things trigger after certain conditions are met.

That's a bummer for me because I really don't care for the interface on OTC, the colors are so visually painful. Sporttrac has a much more appealing layout and structure but if the info isn't to update I'll have to stay away.

I really never cared for the OTC website.

But as it pertains to Jason Sanders, really just another error in a long line of contractual errors made by Chris Grier. I am not sure how he has a job with the Miami Dolphins here a week after our season concluded. This guy is going to continue to make the draft picks and contractual decisions? It really stings.

I am not sure what decisions he got correct. Tyreek and Jaylen Waddle? LOL. As if there were decisions to be made there.

That's a bummer for me because I really don't care for the interface on OTC, the colors are so visually painful. Sporttrac has a much more appealing layout and structure but if the info isn't to update I'll have to stay away.

I really never cared for the OTC website.

But as it pertains to Jason Sanders, really just another error in a long line of contractual errors made by Chris Grier. I am not sure how he has a job with the Miami Dolphins here a week after our season concluded. This guy is going to continue to make the draft picks and contractual decisions? It really stings.

I am not sure what decisions he got correct. Tyreek and Jaylen Waddle? LOL.
I hear you... I don't agree with you, but I can see your conviction.

you let that pinkie dude walk and you go with Skylar as the backup on a very cheap contract, you soend that backup money elsewhere on the team because you drafted a qb who with coaching can play some.

Bridgewater has no chance of returning to this team and frankly I couldn't comprehend why any team would consider him for any job.

He's a terrible QB and he's incredibly unpleasing to look at.

He's got way more money out of the game of football than he deserved based on his ability.

I am not hating on the person, by all means have the best retirement dude. But I have nothing nice to say about the player. He was an all-time bad signing.

Another in a long line of bad signings by the worst GM in the league.

Cutting Byron pre-June 1st would create 3.5M in space for 2023, space that we'd have to spend on his replacement more than likely... Just using my general figure of 1M for a street free agent, means we'd gain a mere 2.5 by cutting him, and honestly, I'd prefer this to the post June 1st cut that would be a loan against 2024.
But a healthy Byron is still my preferred choice, and we have until June 1st to see if he's ready to go, because yes... I do want to win in 2023, and a healthy Byron gets us there faster than a cut Byron and a 3.5M free agent type. (Bethel or Crossen). Boundary CBs are not cheap.

X isn't as problem for next year exactly... but if he puts up a second iffy year next year, we'll take it in the shorts. He'll have over 20M as a dead cap hit.
ive got to think that players, Trill williams, Kader, and possibly a not so expensive contract for Needham, and a healthy X is your top 4 coners..these are blue blood dolphins, drafted and raised by us, and when you cap constrictions youve got to trust your evaluations of these players to give you cheap talent that plays.

Bridgewater has no chance of returning to this team and frankly I couldn't comprehend why any team would consider him for any job.

He's a terrible QB and he's incredibly unpleasing to look at.

He's got way more money out of the game of football than he deserved based on his ability.

I am not hating on the person, by all means have the best retirement dude. But I have nothing nice to say about the player. He was an all-time bad signing.

Another in a long line of bad signings by the worst GM in the league.
i knew and said I hated the signing after his first interview for us..and it went downhill from there..

so because of the cap, and the the fact that we saw Skylar be somewhat competant i think you might have to give that job to skykar so you can allocate money elsewhere.

im not ine who is gonna try and prepare for Tua being injured, be ause if he has anothe ryear like he did this year then it will be time to startiver at the position.

ive got to think that players, Trill williams, Kader, and possibly a not so expensive contract for Needham, and a healthy X is your top 4 coners..these are blue blood dolphins, drafted and raised by us, and when you cap constrictions youve got to trust your evaluations of these players to give you cheap talent that plays.
I have high hopes for these guys, and have been advocating that we delay drafting a high round CB for one more year. So I'm mostly with you on this.
The Iggy choice made sense at the time, bring a guy in so we dont have to pay Hoard and Jones... but that obviously didn't work... and now we have paid these guys, so my first choice is to ride this out.
Watching what we do with Byron is probably the top story of the offseason, I really think most of the other decisions make themselves.

i knew and said I hated the signing after his first interview for us..and it went downhill from there..

so because of the cap, and the the fact that we saw Skylar be somewhat competant i think you might have to give that job to skykar so you can allocate money elsewhere.

im not ine who is gonna try and prepare for Tua being injured, be ause if he has anothe ryear like he did this year then it will be time to startiver at the position.

Its not even a question at this point about next years backup being ST. You'll likely have to take a swing at another late round QB to add to the just in case shelf but other than that you can't rely invest in a QB.

I never watched much of Bridgewater before this season because I just never cared too. When we signed him I assumed he was more capable than he was given his lengthy career, despite the injury, he's been around and had a good rep.

That reputation was phony as TB has no instincts.

I've thrown RT17 out there as possible veteran who'd have an interest in the back up job in Miami. He'd have to play for significantly less than he'd make as a bridge QB in Atlanta, Washington, Indy, Carolina or Houston though. I'll give him playing time incentives for sure but not much of a 2023 commitment. Indy, Washington and Carolina have already wasted so much time and money in second tier QB's. Houston would make sense for RT as he's a Texas native and they have Laremy Tunsil and Dameon Pierce in the fold. The lack of weapons would be a reason he'd pass on the chance to play though.

Tua is absolutely still my QB1 but you couldn't do better than RT17 (or RT whatever number he'd have to select because of a certain Penguin) behind him. Tannehill's a class act who'd never undermine Tua in anyway and would certainly help him out. Tannehill's also a very smart guy who would know its more likely than not at this point that he would get to play with those fancy toy's Tua has.

Put me in the group of people who definitely want to see more talent brought in at CB.

Right behind OT, CB is my biggest need.

We need a TE, RB, LB's, OG, C....yada, yada.

Our 2022 season failed because of the QB, OT and CB positions, for varying reasons.

Last thing I have is faith in the current evaluators.

Lean times ahead. But if we are lucky with our limited draft picks and some of our youngsters take the next step we can maintain/improve. Do you think it possible or good to try to trade X (Hoard) and his contract (if we can find a partner) for a 3rd-4rth rounder?
No one is going to trade for injured X and his ridiculous contract.

Back
Top Bottom