So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

The problem is... is that it's a low percentage bet.

Even if we sell out our cap, send ourselves into financial ruin... cause a complete tear down... it's not better than a 10-15% chance of success.
Unfortunately we are on this boat ride. Just have to hope it works out.

DB's? Ronnie Lott & Darrell Green come to mind.
It's always easy to pick out a couple of players who've defied the odds-- especially if they are Hall of Fame types, but MOST CBs fall way off.

And compare this to Tom Brady or Andrew Whitworth... they are playing into their 40s.

While pushing the cap hits into the future still means that it will come due later, there are still several pros to pushing it into the future. Firstly, the cap rises every year. 10 million this year counts for more percentage towarfd the cap than 10 million next year. You also have contracts coming off the books in the future and if you have drafted well, you replace them with cheaper players.

Unfortunately we are on this boat ride. Just have to hope it works out.
Nows the year to decide how much of a crazy risk we want to take... If we go on the short-term/guaranteed blow up plan, we can restructure all of our high-priced players, spend 30M on free agents, and know... it falls apart in two years max.

Or... we can spend a year paring cost and remain competitive for a longer period of time-- try to emulate what the Patriots have done cap-wise.

I know which one I would do... I don't want to become the Saints.

While pushing the cap hits into the future still means that it will come due later, there are still several pros to pushing it into the future. Firstly, the cap rises every year. 10 million this year counts for more percentage towarfd the cap than 10 million next year. You also have contracts coming off the books in the future and if you have drafted well, you replace them with cheaper players.
I hear this a lot, but I reject it for a couple of reasons...

1) That cap goes up for everyone. So the extra 10M that we get to keep our nose above water, for frugal teams, it lets them outbid us on everything else.
2) Tua... Tua... Tua. He's gonna cost 40-50M per season, and if we have already spent that money on the 2022 and 2023 teams, then we'll lose a bunch of players when we sign him.

Nows the year to decide how much of a crazy risk we want to take... If we go on the short-term/guaranteed blow up plan, we can restructure all of our high-priced players, spend 30M on free agents, and know... it falls apart in two years max.

Or... we can spend a year paring cost and remain competitive for a longer period of time-- try to emulate what the Patriots have done cap-wise.

I know which one I would do... I don't want to become the Saints.
Agreed!

I think we'll get a 3 for Gesicki and maybe a 6 or 7 for Van Ginkle. We might even net a pick for Needham if he draws an offer.

Yes, they will be in 2024, but these picks will make up for the picks that we've lost from tampering. Plus, Grier has proven adept at turning players into picks. He actually broke his own rules to make the moves for Chubb and Hill... long term, I think he's going to be the guy that allows marginal players to walk away. (Sadly... one of them may end up being Sieler)

I hear this a lot, but I reject it for a couple of reasons...

1) That cap goes up for everyone. So the extra 10M that we get to keep our nose above water, for frugal teams, it lets them outbid us on everything else.
2) Tua... Tua... Tua. He's gonna cost 40-50M per season, and if we have already spent that money on the 2022 and 2023 teams, then we'll lose a bunch of players when we sign him.
You are right, it goes up for everyone but I mean that we should be able to stay under the cap and keep our guys. Being competitive for free agents will be different. Yes, Tua will be expensive, but if he becomes that type of franchise QB, he will cover shortness in other areas. The other reason to push it back is NOW is the window, while Tua is cheap. We've got basically two years of cheap QB play. In two years, we have have drafted replacements for Hill and Armstead, but we need them and others to compete now.

You are right, it goes up for everyone but I mean that we should be able to stay under the cap and keep our guys. Being competitive for free agents will be different. Yes, Tua will be expensive, but if he becomes that type of franchise QB, he will cover shortness in other areas. The other reason to push it back is NOW is the window, while Tua is cheap. We've got basically two years of cheap QB play. In two years, we have have drafted replacements for Hill and Armstead, but we need them and others to compete now.
It's going to be tough... I'm not saying that it is impossible, I'm just making the point that every single dollar that we push into 2024, 2025, and 2026 is a dollar that we won't have then, and that these loans accumulate.
I KNOW that we'll have to restructure this offseason in order to even have a team. I'm just hoping they don't go overboard because our ancient owner knows that he's dying soon. Yes, I'd love to be competitive next year, but my dream is to be competitive for a decade.

(Sadly... one of them may end up being Sieler)

I fear you’re right, Fever. Committing top-end dollars to Chubb, Wilkins, Ogbah, and then Seiler followed by Phillips won’t likely happen. Yes, we could offload Ogbah after next year but those savings are needed elsewhere. Seiler’s the type of player everyone wants on their team: productive, durable, energetic, unselfish.

I fear you’re right, Fever. Committing top-end dollars to Chubb, Wilkins, Ogbah, and then Seiler followed by Phillips won’t likely happen. Yes, we could offload Ogbah after next year but those savings are needed elsewhere. Seiler’s the type of player everyone wants on their team: productive, durable, energetic, unselfish.
Can we extend Seiler back loading h8s contract till after Ogbah is gone?

Back
Top Bottom