So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

That's why I put this together. We really need to get this across to the casual fan. Many of them think restructuring means 'make it go away'... instead of 'delay it, destroying the future'.
Agree 100% and that mentality is a big negative of society at large. Math (numbers) never goes away. And those that don't understand this are living in a false reality. It makes me laugh when some posters scream the CAP isn't real or look at New Orleans etc.

As I try to teach the young people I care about....avoid the temptation to live in a virtual reality. If you want to live the good life, make it a reality instead of pretending on social media. Some of our fans dont understand that Madden is only a game. :)

It seems like every year, a large group of contenders are constantly playing shell games with their cap in order to make things work, only to turn around and find themselves with the exact same problem the next offseason.

I’m quite fine with that. Don’t get me wrong, I’d much rather Miami have more cap room, but it’s not unusual to see a team that feels like they’re on the cusp of contention make a few deals to bring in big name difference makers that come with uncomfortable cap numbers. Bradley Chubb is the perfect example of just that.

My point of view: I’m a fan of the Miami Dolphins and want more than anything to see a competitive team on the football field thats winning games in January- and hopefully February. I’m not an internet capologist (no offense to those that are interested in being one), and it’s not my money being spent. Now that Miami has broken the seal and made it back into the playoffs, I want my team aggressively pursuing difference makers and spending every ounce of cap money they can in an effort to make this squad a legit threat to win a SB. I really have zero interest in watching a 6-7 win football team that has $40 mil of cap space heading into the offseason. I’ve seen way too much of that over the last 20 years.

If Miami is handcuffing themselves bad enough that it results in losing high level contributors and younger players who are entering their prime, then they have the wrong person or people running the business side of football operations. There’s plenty of contending teams over the past few seasons that have shown us that the cap is basically a tool to be manipulated while your window of contention is still open and then end up eating a couple of tough seasons once that window closes. I’m fine with that type of scenario for Miami on all fronts.

The Saints are 58m over the cap and have already restructured almost all of their expensive players.
They are stuck in a perpetual situation where they can't sign anyone or trade anyone... stuck in permanent mediocrity, not even able to tear down because of the cap.

It seems like every year, a large group of contenders are constantly playing shell games with their cap in order to make things work, only to turn around and find themselves with the exact same problem the next offseason.

I’m quite fine with that. Don’t get me wrong, I’d much rather Miami have more cap room, but it’s not unusual to see a team that feels like they’re on the cusp of contention make a few deals to bring in big name difference makers that come with uncomfortable cap numbers. Bradley Chubb is the perfect example of just that.

My point of view: I’m a fan of the Miami Dolphins and want more than anything to see a competitive team on the football field thats winning games in January- and hopefully February. I’m not an internet capologist (no offense to those that are interested in being one), and it’s not my money being spent. Now that Miami has broken the seal and made it back into the playoffs, I want my team aggressively pursuing difference makers and spending every ounce of cap money they can in an effort to make this squad a legit threat to win a SB. I really have zero interest in watching a 6-7 win football team that has $40 mil of cap space heading into the offseason. I’ve seen way too much of that over the last 20 years.

If Miami is handcuffing themselves bad enough that it results in losing high level contributors and younger players who are entering their prime, then they have the wrong person or people running the business side of football operations. There’s plenty of contending teams over the past few seasons that have shown us that the cap is basically a tool to be manipulated while you’re window of contention is still open and then end up eating a couple of tough seasons once that window closes. I’m fine with that type of scenario for Miami on all fronts.
A certain amount of this is inevitable, but our current problem is that we went all-in last year... and came up well short.
Bringing in Hill, Chubb, and Armstead all in on the same year was an awful lot... especially after resigning Ogbah and extending X.
Too much really... now we're a bit stuck this year.
If we're smart, we can make it ONLY for this year. I fear we won't be.

If Miami is handcuffing themselves bad enough that it results in losing high level contributors and younger players who are entering their prime, then they have the wrong person or people running the business side of football operations. There’s plenty of contending teams over the past few seasons that have shown us that the cap is basically a tool to be manipulated while your window of contention is still open and then end up eating a couple of tough seasons once that window closes. I’m fine with that type of scenario for Miami on all fronts.
I totally understand your desire, but I want a team that is prepared to be a dynasty for 5+ years (like the dreaded PATS used to be, and they were very CAP conservative) rather then being in CAP hell trying to make splashes but in reality painting themselves into a corner. Consider me greedy. I want multiple Super bowls not just 1.

A certain amount of this is inevitable, but our current problem is that we went all-in last year... and came up well short.
Bringing in Hill, Chubb, and Armstead all in on the same year was an awful lot... especially after resigning Ogbah and extending X.
Too much really... now we're a bit stuck this year.
If we're smart, we can make it ONLY for this year. I fear we won't be.
This 100%. Lets do with what we have this year so we can get our of CAP jail quickly and take any $ pain now. Strategically it makes sense. We can still win it all with the talent we have and a healthy Tua. And if God Forbid, Tua cant stay healthy or leaves, it leaves us in a much better financial and draft position for 2024. In essence, keep coaching up our cheap youngsters, hope for luck with our limited drat picks and only make extensions if we are forced to in order to re-sign Sieler and Wilkins.

I totally understand your desire, but I want a team that is prepared to be a dynasty for 5+ years (like the dreaded PATS used to be, and they were very CAP conservative) rather then being in CAP hell trying to make splashes but in reality painting themselves into a corner. Consider me greedy. I want multiple Super bowls not just 1.

And I totally understand where you’re coming from as well.

Being a contending team that’s still cap conservative is really a tough thing to nail on both sides of the equation and the Patriot dynasty is more of the exception than the rule. But it would certainly be amazing if Miami could replicate the NE model.

I should probably point out that I’m not a fan of spending recklessly either. There definitely needs to some common sense coming from the GM in regards to deals he’s not willing to do in order to keep this franchise at least somewhat flexible.

From a team-building standpoint, we need an awful lot over the next 2-3 years.

A DE to replace Ogbah, at least one starting CB, at least one ILB, and a RB at the bare minimum.
We might need a LT if Armstead can't give us 2 more years, and Tua? Well...

That's a lot of expensive positions to fill, but Ogbah, Jones, Hoard, and Roberts are old... Armstead and Tua are fragile, and our RBs aren't young either... and this assumes our line comes together.

GMs have to plan for this. Get that new player a year early when you can. Avoid the Iggy type busts. It's a lot... and no GM hits on every pick.

We've got 3 premium picks this year and we've got to go at least 2 out of three here to show growth. We're not going to get a stud CB, Edge, or Tackle with a pick in the late-middle 2nd round; we'll likely have to take shots at less premium positions and longer shots. (Gotta love our owner... sigh).

But if we can address these future losses, we'll go a long way towards fixing the cap issues. Imagine if we could land a starting LB, starting RB, and edge setting DE here. We'd fill three major holes cheaply. Or if a legitimate CB fell... again, it would really help.

You have to hit your holes, or the positions that you know are going to become holes. I think too many fans are much too willing to give up on young mediocre players... or players with room to grow. I'm always going to try to replace the older players first-- even if they might have a year left.

Because the cap is VERY real, and young players are the answer.

Agree 100% and that mentality is a big negative of

As I try to teach the young people I care about....avoid the temptation to live in a virtual reality. If you want to live the good life, make it a reality instead of pretending on social media. Some of our fans dont understand that Madden is only a game. :)
tell that to Mcdaniel

The Saints are 58m over the cap and have already restructured almost all of their expensive players.
They are stuck in a perpetual situation where they can't sign anyone or trade anyone... stuck in permanent mediocrity, not even able to tear down because of the cap.
Look at the mess the Saints are still in and they won 7 games this year and people say the cap is a mirage? 😂 They renegotiated Michael Thomas last year in order to make him a post June cut this upcoming year. They will have $28 million in dead cap when the cut him. If they don’t and he plays 4 games in the 2023 season, the Saint will have to pay him 60 million in 2024. 😂

Grier has been good at trades and managing cap space in his time as GM. I’m not worried we will have a hard time freeing up enough space to sign our rookie class and fill up the roster. Our cap space will start to get dicey down the road if we try to create too much room to make big moves though. Some under preforming vets could be asked to take a pay cut. Most of our worst contracts have outs in 2024 (Byron Jones, Howard, Ogbah to name a few). We just need to survive a tighter year cap space wise.

1) Find out how big the cap will be expanded next year.
2) Cut the "Fat" to make up the difference and give us a little "spending cash".

See how simple that is - LOL

Back
Top Bottom