So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

3) Every NFL team likes to be about 10M under the cap at the beginning of the season in order to make mid-season moves... so we'll add that to the bare minimum number that we need in order to open the season.
I think we only rolled over 2mm from having to sign lots of players mid-season due to injuries.

In this 23 draft we have less picks than any of the last 3 years, but it's truly our best hope to save this team. We need to hit on our 2nd and 3rd rounders so bad.
Yea, too bad we dont have a good history of that.

The Saints are 58m over the cap and have already restructured almost all of their expensive players.
They are stuck in a perpetual situation where they can't sign anyone or trade anyone... stuck in permanent mediocrity, not even able to tear down because of the cap.
Exactly. And precisely why Sean Payton hit the road only to be interviewing for jobs with other teams a year later...

if structured correct, resigning him makes all the sense in the world

I don't think so, I don't think it makes all the sense in the world if structured correctly. The only thing that makes all the sense in world when you have cap issues because you went all in and failed is not signing anyone to big contracts and going frugal.

I totally understand your desire, but I want a team that is prepared to be a dynasty for 5+ years (like the dreaded PATS used to be, and they were very CAP conservative) rather then being in CAP hell trying to make splashes but in reality painting themselves into a corner. Consider me greedy. I want multiple Super bowls not just 1.
You must be forgetting about all the team friendly deals Brady took in order to free up cap space. Also, Brady attracted veteran free agents at a discounted price because they wanted to win a championship. They had quite the advantage.

Its challenging to stay at the top unless you have a HOF QB that can keep you competitive. After players get that ring, they play for whoever pays the most and dynasty never gets to happen. It's how we got Tyreek!

I think we only rolled over 2mm from having to sign lots of players mid-season due to injuries.
Yeah.. we spent almost all of it.
Worst injury season I've ever seen... and so concentrated in two areas... line and dbs.

Who ever said dont resign Wilkins is off his rocker.

I did. He will want big bucks, and the defense still sucked. He is not that important. If the books were right, then sure, why not keep him. But the books are not right and he is not that important, he played well but did not make a dent in overall success. No one on that defense did. Get someone cheaper. Luckily the decision does not have to be made this offseason.

I don't think so, I don't think it makes all the sense in the world if structured correctly. The only thing that makes all the sense in world when you have cap issues because you went all in and failed is not signing anyone to big contracts and going frugal.
You can gain cap space next year by extending him, rather than picking up the option. It does make sense. The guy has improved a lot every year, and is just now coming into his prime (the usual for interior Dlinemen). What doesn't make sense is letting a top 5 player at his position walk for nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom