So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

You can gain cap space next year by extending him, rather than picking up the extension. It does make sense. The guy has improved a lot every year, and is just now coming into his prime (the usual for interior Dlinemen). What doesn't make sense is letting a top 5 player at his position walk for nothing.

Everybody knows he is an excellent player. Luckily the Dolphins have him under contract for 10 mil in 2023 and do not have to do anything. They should always wait and not run to resign players. But more than that, for any DL, at the the end of 2023 if it comes to resigning or cap, cap should take precedence, he is not that important to resign.

Tyreek is an awesome weapon to have on the team but what if we could trade him and get back close to what we gave for him? Freeing up his $30 mill salary and getting at least a couple of high picks in return. That would allow us to sign 2 or 3 impact FAs and draft 2 or 3 more players that could be potential starters. Is Tyreek worth 4, 5 or 6 starters spread out across the roster? That's basically why KC traded him to us.

I thought when we traded for him that as good as he is I didn't think he was worth giving up maybe a half dozen other potential starters in return. Especially since if he goes down with an injury then we have nothing to show for it other than his huge salary.

I’m scared … very scared for the future if we’re being honest

I think you’re right, yeah, best case for Byron Jones is not cutting him, I think the situation just has left a bad taste in the fans mouths. But financially it makes more sense to wait, and hell maybe he comes back and plays decent

Wonder if any of those special teams guys (Carter/Crossen) would just take a pay cut, they have to know they’ll get around the minimum regardless of where they go

Extending players - probably not helpful cap wise - but Zach Sieler needs to be extended. Maybe not this year but it’s a shame ogbah is making all that money and the real stars of the DL are Wilkins and Sieler

Tyreek is an awesome weapon to have on the team but what if we could trade him and get back close to what we gave for him? Freeing up his $30 mill salary and getting at least a couple of high picks in return. That would allow us to sign 2 or 3 impact FAs and draft 2 or 3 more players that could be potential starters. Is Tyreek worth 4, 5 or 6 starters spread out across the roster? That's basically why KC traded him to us.

I thought when we traded for him that as good as he is I didn't think he was worth giving up maybe a half dozen other potential starters in return. Especially since if he goes down with an injury then we have nothing to show for it other than his huge salary.
I wasn't thrilled with the deal... I understood it; I still do not hate it... but it was a lot-- especially after what we gave up for Waddle.

No one on that defense did. Get someone cheaper. Luckily the decision does not have to be made this offseason.
ummmm how do I say this nicely? youre not thinking straight. Wilkins is one of the top DT in the league periodt. You keep him no matter what. He flashed super star this year. And to top it off has AMAZING character.

So we rented him for one year? To bring in FA starters? Who? Are those people going to affect games more than hill would?

Everybody knows he is an excellent player. Luckily the Dolphins have him under contract for 10 mil in 2023 and do not have to do anything. They should always wait and not run to resign players. But more than that, for any DL, at the the end of 2023 if it comes to resigning or cap, cap should take precedence, he is not that important to resign.
You did not address what I said. They can structure a new deal in such a way as to have him count less against the cap next season than the 5th year option. In general, I'm not in favor of that approach, but Wilkins is the kind of player that I feel fairly safe doing it. He's a very good player. He is hard to replace. He has proven durable and is a great teammate/leader.

200.gif

You did not address what I said. They can structure a new deal in such a way as to have him count less against the cap next season than the 5th year option. In general, I'm not in favor of that approach, but Wilkins is the kind of player that I feel fairly safe doing it. He's a very good player. He is hard to replace. He has proven durable and is a great teammate/leader.

You probably felt the same way about Howard. There is only one player on the Dolphins important enough to get a big contract, that's Tyreek. Everybody else is expendable, no matter how good the fans think a player is. I would not be mad about losing anyone on this team from practice squad up to Steve Ross, other than Tyreek.

So we rented him for one year? To bring in FA starters? Who? Are those people going to affect games more than hill would?
Who knows who they might be. Some high draft picks and money to spend to further solidify the LBs, OL and other areas of high need. We have neither plentiful draft picks OR money to spend now.

The Tyreek deal would have been great for a team missing one piece of the puzzle for a SB run but this team is not just missing one piece. We are in desperate need of LBs, OL, CBs, TEs and other areas. And we have very little ammo to fill those needs because of no high picks and money.

Last edited:
You probably felt the same way about Howard. There is only one player on the Dolphins important enough to get a big contract, that's Tyreek. Everybody else is expendable, no matter how good the fans think a player is. I would not be mad about losing anyone on this team from practice squad up to Steve Ross, other than Tyreek.
No, I didn't feel the same about Howard, and I don't believe the two situations are close to being the same.

Who knows who they might be. Some high draft picks and money to spend to further solidify the LBs, OL and other areas of high need. Both of which we have neither of right now.

The Tyreek deal would have been great for a team missing one piece of the puzzle for a SB run but this team is not just missing one piece. We are in desperate need of LBs, OL, CBs, TEs and other areas. And we have very little ammo to fill those needs because of no high picks and money.
Yeah I know it sucks we dont have a lot of options but I'm not getting rid of one of the most dangerous receivers in football just because we need money for other holes..

Hill and Armstead have a big chunk of guaranteed money due in 2023 and $0 guaranteed beyond that. Once those are restructured the picture will be very different

One big issue is our lack of obvious cuts. Most of those that carry the biggest savings are players we want to keep on the roster.

Hill and Armstead have a big chunk of guaranteed money due in 2023 and $0 guaranteed beyond that. Once those are restructured the picture will be very different

One big issue is our lack of obvious cuts. Most of those that carry the biggest savings are players we want to keep on the roster.
Ogbah and Chubb can be restructured as well if they wanted. They have flexibility if need be, question is just how aggressive or passive they want to be in FA this offseason.

Back
Top Bottom