So you want to draft a WR in the 1st round eh? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So you want to draft a WR in the 1st round eh?

^they both sound like chad jackson to me, i wouldn't say either is santonio holmes, but im guessing one of em is jackson and one is holmes? or are you comparing other people?

Disgustipate said:
I dont want to draft a WR myself, but I dont understand what this shows. Alot of first round players fail to live up to expectations at every position. I've yet to see anything that suggests 1st round WRs bust at a higher rate then any other position.

Me neither, we drafted Chambers in the 2nd round remember? I think we can find a good Wr in the 3rd or 4th rounds

Boomer said:
Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce my very own internet stalker. Blue Fin likes to follow me round Fin Heaven, arguing the toss against everything I say and loves to bandy about phrases such as 'self proclaimed expert'.

For an individual in their 40's it's pretty sad. But he does it so often, he's almost a part of the family.

Dude, whats sad is your post, someone that disagrees with you quite frequently is a stalker?

You don't address the discussion at hand, you go right to personal attacks.

I'm no different than anybody else here, I respond to discussions that interest me, and when someone makes an ignorant statement like (this Florida receiver is not a good prospect because recent past Florida receivers were busts) I point it out.

I don't follow anyone around this board, thats quite an immature reaction and post Boomer.

Boomer said:
I absolutely salute you for not being a sheep. That's why the draft is so good because all of us differ in opinions on players. It'd be a very boring process if we all agreed. That said, my being an FSU fan really doesn't come into it when I look at the draft. Far from it in fact. I grade out a Cane and a Gator the same way I'd grade out a Nole.

In terms of consistency from a QB, it's still the same passer regardless of the system. Which means the ball comes the same way, he understands the velocity, the ball positioning and after 3 years together, regardless of offensive mindset, they should still be on the same page.

Aggression going for the ball doesn't mean working the middle. It means using your obvious physical tools to outbattle a corner. It means giving up your body when the backs are running your way.

Fair enough

Jimmy James said:
GUESS THE RECEIVER:

Receiver one: Jackson
Positives: Superb concentration on the ball. ... Makes difficult catches in traffic. ... Excels at running underneath routes, but has speed and burst to turn them into long gains. ... Has size and strength to fight off jams at the line. ... Runs precise routes.

Negatives: NFL teams don't know how effective he can be on deep routes because he didn't run many of them in college. ... Must improve blocking technique and develop a more aggressive attitude toward making contact.

Receiver two: Holmes
Positives: Solidly built pass catcher with long legs … Very physical with defensive backs, using his hands well to push off to create space … Does a nice job of positioning his body to go up and haul down the pass in traffic … Shows excellent concentration, exploding in his cuts and executing fluid stutter-step moves in his routes … Long strider with explosive acceleration in the open … Has great body control and the ability to make the acrobatic catches … Stays low in and out of his cuts, displaying the separation quickness to consistently go deep … Has superb acceleration and attacks defenders after the catch … Extends and adjusts well going for the ball in traffic … Has the power to drive defenders off when breaking back for the ball … Gets into his routes fluidly, using his quick feet to make sudden moves after the catch.
Negatives: Has toughness going over the middle, but rarely faces up to the defender when blocking … Needs to drop his hips quicker when running patterns … Has great hands, but will double catch at times … Fiesty runner after the catch, but is more of a straight-line type, not showing the shake needed to consistently elude … Has a pair of the smallest hands in college football.

I assume those are the two your referring too? Or is one of them Moss? And where are these opinions from?

BlueFin said:
Dude, whats sad is your post, someone that disagrees with you quite frequently is a stalker?

You don't address the discussion at hand, you go right to personal attacks.

I'm no different than anybody else here, I respond to discussions that interest me, and when someone makes an ignorant statement like (this Florida receiver is not a good prospect because recent past Florida receivers were busts) I point it out.

I don't follow anyone around this board, thats quite an immature reaction and post Boomer.

You just follow me round trashing me whenever you like, with your pathetic 'self proclaimed expert' nonsense. Not sure where I'm self proclaimed in anything.

Also, where did I make the assumption that because Jack Jackson wasn't an All Pro, nor would Chad Jackson?

Boomer said:
You just follow me round trashing me whenever you like, with your pathetic 'self proclaimed expert' nonsense. Not sure where I'm self proclaimed in anything.

Also, where did I make the assumption that because Jack Jackson wasn't an All Pro, nor would Chad Jackson?

Boomer, first of all I was adressing and responding to Jimmy James post, I really wish you would go back and review it and tell me what about my post in response to Jimmy James that you disagree with?

As far as I can tell, you agree with the notion that Chad Jackson should not be marginalized simply because certain past UF receivers were busts.

You've also said that what makes this board great is the varied opinions and discussion thereof, I certainly don't think you disagree with the notion that nobody has a crystal ball when it comes to these prospects.

Again, my post was in response to what Jimmy James posted, it really had nothing to do with you.

Motion said:
I assume those are the two your referring too? Or is one of them Moss? And where are these opinions from?

They came from NFL.com.

You got #1 right.

#2 was Gaffney.

Jimmy James said:
They came from NFL.com.

You got #1 right.

#2 was Gaffney.

I knew 1 was Jackson based on the short routes comment. I'm interested to see how well Gaffney does in Philly.

BlueFin said:
Second, past UF receivers who have succeeded or failed have absolutely nothing to do with a current one when it comes to predicting his prospects as an NFL receiver....he could be Wes Chandler or he could be Ike Hillard.

I personally think he's way above most of the recent UF wideouts as a prospect.
Thats not necessarily true about past recievers compared to Jackson. The reason some feel guys like Travis Taylor, Reche Caldwell, and Taylor Jacobs failed in the NFL was because they were succeeding in Spurrier's Fun and Gun offense which is very different than the offenses run in the NFL. Urban Meyer's offense is not the Fun and Gun, but it also is a gimmicky offense that is very different from the one Jackson will be playing in next year in the NFL.

That being said I think Jackson has the skillset to become a very good WR, but because of his late and rapid rise as Boomer said, and the fact that he is a Gator(coming from that offense) makes me a little weary.

With Holmes you have a guy also with alot of talent but who has always been considered a good prospect and has consistantly shown he has the talent to be a good WR in the NFL. I think Jackson might have a higher ceiling, but is a bigger risk while Holmes ceiling may not be quite as high but is less of a risk. JMO.

BlueFin said:
Boomer, first of all I was adressing and responding to Jimmy James post, I really wish you would go back and review it and tell me what about my post in response to Jimmy James that you disagree with?

As far as I can tell, you agree with the notion that Chad Jackson should not be marginalized simply because certain past UF receivers were busts.

You've also said that what makes this board great is the varied opinions and discussion thereof, I certainly don't think you disagree with the notion that nobody has a crystal ball when it comes to these prospects.

Again, my post was in response to what Jimmy James posted, it really had nothing to do with you.

If it was to Jimmy then I apologise, but you know as well as I do that you love throwing the old 'self proclaimed expert' nonsense around when I'm in the vicinity.

No, I think Jackson's ability as a pro has nothing to do with whether other Gator wideouts have made a succesful transition or not. My issue with Jackson is more about him doing it for a year, in something of a gimmick offense and then hurtling over someone like Holmes who runs quicker and has done it over longer and whose style of play, especially when he doesn't have the ball in his hands, suits our offense better.

It's the same reason why I'm cool on Jonathan Joseph - a years experience and all of a sudden he rips off the big workout and he's a mid 1st rounder?

And no, no-one has a crystal ball, it's the self proclaimed nonsense that pisses me off.

Boomer said:
If it was to Jimmy then I apologise, but you know as well as I do that you love throwing the old 'self proclaimed expert' nonsense around when I'm in the vicinity.

No, I think Jackson's ability as a pro has nothing to do with whether other Gator wideouts have made a succesful transition or not. My issue with Jackson is more about him doing it for a year, in something of a gimmick offense and then hurtling over someone like Holmes who runs quicker and has done it over longer and whose style of play, especially when he doesn't have the ball in his hands, suits our offense better.

It's the same reason why I'm cool on Jonathan Joseph - a years experience and all of a sudden he rips off the big workout and he's a mid 1st rounder?

And no, no-one has a crystal ball, it's the self proclaimed nonsense that pisses me off.

Well I accept your apology and I apologize as well if you took that comment as being directed towards you, it was intended as a general comment.

Let me ask you a serious question if I may?, I haven't followed the pro days very closely but you keep saying Holmes is faster than Jackson, yet I remember hearing that Jackson was the fastest receiver at the Combine, did Holmes not run at the combine? Are you referring to Holmes pro day workout? If so, could the differences in running surfaces make a difference when comparing their speed?

Back
Top Bottom