So you want to win a super bowl? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So you want to win a super bowl?

I agree our chance is Tua but he can't win alone. Mahomes has a lot of weapons and Tua doesn't at this time. I like Gaskins but I'd take the bowling ball over him all day long. I like Parker but he's not explosive like #10 is for KC who also have Watkins making plays. I like Gesicki to a point but would rather have Kelce. We don't have the weapons to help Tua be the best that he can be at this time.

btw,I'm not saying we shouldn't play Tua. I want him to play this year. All I'm saying is unless we get him some real play makers to help him out we're not going anywhere near the SB
That's such a tough team to defend. They can run the ball too.

I'm not sure Miami's focus will be adding skills position players just yet with the problems in the front seven. But no question, the Dolphins need a wide receiver that can balance out the strengths of Parker and Williams. They need that player who can stretch the field.

Mahomes is going to dominate the AFC for the next 10-15 years. He’s a generational talent. He’ll appear in 3-4 more SBs. Book it.

Marino was a generational talent, after year two, never sniffed the SB again...Peyton Manning was a generational talent, yet until the very end of his career, did he reach the SB to win just two....the 2nd more due to the running game and D of his Bronco team, then him.

It takes a team to reach the SB, not a superior QB. These next few years the Chiefs will be playing with good enough talent all around to be unstoppable, but eventually that huge contract the Chiefs paid Mahomes will hurt the talentin other areas, which will start making it tough to get back, if they don't do it this year or the next.

Marino was a generational talent, after year two, never sniffed the SB again...Peyton Manning was a generational talent, yet until the very end of his career, did he reach the SB to win just two....the 2nd more due to the running game and D of his Bronco team, then him.

It takes a team to reach the SB, not a superior QB. These next few years the Chiefs will be playing with good enough talent all around to be unstoppable, but eventually that huge contract the Chiefs paid Mahomes will hurt the talentin other areas, which will start making it tough to get back, if they don't do it this year or the next.
some good points here. I was thinking about that big contract and KC will start to lose top players as they won't be able to pay everyone. Of course as long as you have Mahomes they'll have a chance but things will get harder unless they nail the draft every single year to make up for the players that will leave thru free agency.

What a fantastic thread, thanks to the OP for a great topic.
I really flip flop on what is best- power run game vs the all out speed offense. Which would ultimately be better? Will the pendulum swing back to the power run to stop the Chiefs?
My gut says, at the end of the day, it's all about weapons weapons weapons. Big receivers, fast receivers, slippery running backs, power running backs, play making TE. There will be seasons the Chiefs have too many injuries. There will be games that the Chiefs commit a penalty that kills a drive and it costs them. Someone will drop a key pass. Those Mahomes, Kelcie and the Jones contract will eventually hurt them. You just have to be sitting pretty, with a close enough team competitively to them, to catch them. Realistically, they aren't going to win every Super Bowl for the next ten years. You just have to be there when the door opens.

Fair enough but the game has changed so much to where a QB can carry you further than they used to. As for Marino he “sniffed” the SB more than 1x. He played in 3 AFC title games - that counts as sniffing in my book. It takes a team - and KC has the coach, the org is well run and yes, eventually they won’t be able to pay everyone. Hi Leary I thought the Kelce contract was too much. But Mahomes will make them competitive for a long time - I do think he’s going to show up in 4-5 SBs before his career is over.

I remember a man in Miami that was said about after he destroyed the NFL record books under much tougher Pass defense rules.

Personally I think they have made the game too easy for an accurate QB...but they got the insane passing numbers they desired.

I see them having to tighten it back up soon or the league will become a joke.

For me it makes records irrelevant when you are consistently making it easier for offenses.
This. I would have never made that statement if the game was still a hard one to throw the football. The QB can carry you further than they used to if you have a good one. It puts less importance on the rest of the team and I’m not sure that’s good for the sport. That said, I won’t be complaining if Tua becomes one of those “guys” :)

Fair enough but the game has changed so much to where a QB can carry you further than they used to. As for Marino he “sniffed” the SB more than 1x. He played in 3 AFC title games - that counts as sniffing in my book. It takes a team - and KC has the coach, the org is well run and yes, eventually they won’t be able to pay everyone. Hi Leary I thought the Kelce contract was too much. But Mahomes will make them competitive for a long time - I do think he’s going to show up in 4-5 SBs before his career is over.

Possible, not saying he can't do it, just that it will be far from a gimme, considering nobody knows how good the Chiefs will be in the future as far as Defense, O-line, RB.

In a future NFL league that will also have established QBs like Wilson, Jackson, Allen, Rodgers, Watson,Prescott, Goff, Newton...And even younger up and coming QBs like Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurt, Lawrence, Costello....This will be a very competitive league for years to come.

I never thought I would say there is a better pure passer than Dan Marino and then Mahomes happened.

And I disagree all resources go to the DL. Of course that needs to get addressed, but if that is all it takes the 49ers would be SB champs.

To beat the Chiefs a team is going to have to outscore them.
100% agree. In todays league it's better to build a team that can win with a score of 50 to 48 rather than bank on winning defensively.

I remember a man in Miami that was said about after he destroyed the NFL record books under much tougher Pass defense rules.

Personally I think they have made the game too easy for an accurate QB...but they got the insane passing numbers they desired.

For me it makes records irrelevant when you are consistently making it easier for offenses.
Agreed
A lot of dink and dunk that pads the QBs stats

Agreed that All passes that don’t go past the line of scrimmage should be counted as run plays including screens to Wrs

The rule changes of 1978 made it easier to pass but I wouldn't consider Marino's records irrelevant. The game evolves and rules change.

The rule changes of 1978 made it easier to pass but I wouldn't consider Marino's records irrelevant. The game evolves and rules change.
Yep. You can tell when the rule changes were by looking at completion %ages. I mean, good for Fitz going 18-20 last week but that was nearly impossible at one time. And we know it doesn’t mean Fitz is better than Bradshaw, Stabler, Staubach, Griese, Montana, Marino, Elway etc. That a QB can complete 90% of his passes today (and get a couple PIs on the few incompletes) takes something away from the excitement of the game IMO. I remember when Bob Griese was the NFLs leading passer in ‘77 w a QBR of 80.0. 80 today isn’t even practice squad material!

Back
Top Bottom