Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 57 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

Hybrid as in FS/SS hybrid, or as in SS/WLB?

I see FS/SS. Perfect for FS in the cover 2.

If you haven't checked out Jeremy Reaves, you should. 1st Team Sun Belt as a CB in 2016, Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year as a S in 2017, approximately the same age as Derwin James, Reaves is physical, aggressive, instinctive as an overall DB. In the NFL, he's probably relegated to slot as a CB, but he'd excel in a role similar to Desmond King in Los Angeles. As a Safety, he has the range and instincts to play Free and the pop and tackling to play SS, but he's probably best suited as a hybrid, 2-deep Safety - which fits what Miami says it wants.

Like Xavier Woods and Desmond King, who tested fine but not great, Reaves could be an exceptional value. Or, he could start shooting up the draft board. Either way, he's really good.

J-Off. how early do you see him going? Id love to get a FS that can provide coverage and scheme flexibility...

I’d keep an eye on Da’Shawn Hand as well. He got hurt last year and started coming on toward the end of the season. Was a former #1 overall recruit. If he makes it to the 3rd, no way I pass him up. Maybe even a 2nd

J-Off. how early do you see him going? Id love to get a FS that can provide coverage and scheme flexibility...

It's hard to say. Unless he tests great, I'd be surprised to see him go before Day 3, but I don't see 64 better players. If he runs in the 4.5's, projected at 4.52 on Draft Scout, he checks all the boxes.

So as early as the second? Nah, Elliott, Reid, Whitehead, Allen...

Many more will go before any Sunbelt kid.

I'd say I'd have him battling Quin Blanding in the bottom of the 4th.

He sure is faster than Blanding but Blanding's size, level of competition, instincts and production are very hard to ignore.

or you can leave logic behind...

'cause if you're friends don't think, and if they can't think, well then, they're no friends of mine.

hqdefault.jpg

Well it's safety draft!

This post needs a lot more love.

I still don't understand how Desmond King dropped to 5th Rd. He was so productive at Iowa. Big 10 DPOY. All American. Yes undersized but tenacious. He played STs at Iowa. He ran 4.5 at pro day. 4.5. Not 4.7.
He should've been a 2nd -3rd Rd pick.

I still don't understand how Desmond King dropped to 5th Rd. He was so productive at Iowa. Big 10 DPOY. All American. Yes undersized but tenacious. He played STs at Iowa. He ran 4.5 at pro day. 4.5. Not 4.7.
He should've been a 2nd -3rd Rd pick.

He got knocked for lacking length, and he struggled some during the Senior Bowl practices, which shouldn't have impacted his stock significantly, because he was always going to be a S/Slot in the NFL. Teams looking for the wrong things. Despite being a lesser athlete and less-complete player, Tabor went in the 2nd.

He got knocked for lacking length, and he struggled some during the Senior Bowl practices, which shouldn't have impacted his stock significantly, because he was always going to be a S/Slot in the NFL. Teams looking for the wrong things. Despite being a lesser athlete and less-complete player, Tabor went in the 2nd.

I think sometimes these GMs & scouts overthink things. See Reuben Foster. Lawson. KIng.
Reuben Foster was most impressive LB coming out that I can remember. He is a total gamer. So a B.s. Combine incident and diluted sample, drops him 20 spots? King drops 3 RDs? The coaching in the league is superior - the scouts and front office, they miss way too much.

I think sometimes these GMs & scouts overthink things. See Reuben Foster. Lawson. KIng.
Reuben Foster was most impressive LB coming out that I can remember. He is a total gamer. So a B.s. Combine incident and diluted sample, drops him 20 spots? King drops 3 RDs? The coaching in the league is superior - the scouts and front office, they miss way too much.
I understand King struggles with speed on outside. That's fine. No one saying he is Patrick Peterson out there, but cmon the kid projected to solid slot starter / S/ ST captain all day.

Foster just got in trouble again, so I don't know that you can call it BS, but I agree with your general point that most teams aren't great at evaluating talent.

Correct. How many sreams dropped those guys in their rankings? And some here make it sound like Miami's FO is alone in missed evaluations

Back
Top Bottom