Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 58 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/01/16/2018-nfl-mock-draft-pick-no-19-dallas-cowboys-selectA

Another mock with an interesting pick for Miami. Could put him at SLB (or WLB) as well as nickel. Offers decent blitz potential.

That Maurice Hurst kid put up some pretty impressive TFL numbers compared to the other top two DT's from Bama and Florida.

It's always interesting to see what people value. Hurst is undersized, and he was less productive as a 3-tech than Harrison Phillips was as a NT. Yet, most mocks have Hurst in RD1, and very few include Phillips in that range. Let's be clear: Phillips is the better player by a comfortable margin. Most people are really bad at this.

That’s a terrible mock draft Eesti..

If Miami passes in Derwin for a SLB I’ll break something.

I don't see it happening because of the FO we have. They will probably roll with what we have at LB and take one in the late rounds like they did with DT's last year. I also don't see them taking a safety. They are stubbornly behind having two SS's with limited range.

It's always interesting to see what people value. Hurst is undersized, and he was less productive as a 3-tech than Harrison Phillips was as a NT. Yet, most mocks have Hurst in RD1, and very few include Phillips in that range. Let's be clear: Phillips is the better player by a comfortable margin. Most people are really bad at this.

Agree little high on Hurst.
Not a bad board for Miami:
James - Jackson - and Mayfield.
Maybe someone trades up a spot for Baker.

we may all be blowing smoke with this hybrid talk stuff anyways...hell there wasn't an ounce of it in 2017 on the field...like none...but I think what keeps james on the radar even without that is the ability to carry coverage vs tight ends etc at that plus size and great athlete and speed play

that's why that 6 foot 3 is so intriguing...for me at least...he's strong safety physical he's free safety fluid and rangy he's got top shelf size for it and he can drive on things and jam you at the line or in the stem plus his arm length looks to be there

it's more than just hybrid lb or box safety or single high option etc...the single high being the part I think is the weakest...but a better single high option than reshad or tj

flex your tight end he's going with you...matchup zones with x like lovethefish says...split your tight end to give the qb the obvious man cover tell that's fine he's playing man to man and I'm not ruling out some nickel slot stuff either based on what I've seen

go back to specials micheal Thomas I done upgraded something serious

Ur not concerned with his play recognition and instincts, he has to see it happen before he makes a move, its kind of concerning when u have that type of athleticism and ball skills but make very little game changing plays on the ball and in the run game. He looks lengthy but he also looks narrow and has injury history.

I’ve added tight end mark Andrews to my list of targets at 11

In fact he may be after derwin my primary target right now

Love that kid on tape. His feet his short area quickness his route running are exceptional

I think derwin fixes more than any other player plus I wonder if minkah can carry coverage vs big tight ends I see his game as more corner than safety

And I might think derwin fixes more than Bradley chubb even

Minkah will be a corner in the NFL if he test well.

Ur not concerned with his play recognition and instincts, he has to see it happen before he makes a move, its kind of concerning when u have that type of athleticism and ball skills but make very little game changing plays on the ball and in the run game. He looks lengthy but he also looks narrow and has injury history.

I think he’s one of those where you have to bet on his best balls in front of him. The narrow thing matters to me more as a hybrid lb but that would be package stuff I think.

I agree his diag can be a tick late but again I think for me some of it was “I know I’m good im saving myself for the pros”. Stuff that usually corrects itself in the pros when a paycheck is involved

Do I love him in single high no but I think he’s a better option than reshad or tj there...

But he’s one of those kids where you better find out how much does he love the game. If he’s only playing for a pay check you may well end up feeling he never reached his true potential. Since I can’t get in his football head I will bet on the tape upside

I think he’s one of those where you have to bet on his best balls in front of him. The narrow thing matters to me more as a hybrid lb but that would be package stuff I think.

I agree his diag can be a tick late but again I think for me some of it was “I know I’m good in saving myself for the pros”

That stuff usually corrects itself when a pay check is involved

But he’s one of those kids where you better find out how much does he love the game. If he’s only playing for a pay check you may well end up feeling he never reached his true potential. Since I can’t get in his football head I will bet on the tape upside

Considering his size, length and athleticism that wouldn't be a bad bet, but I wonder how much slower he'll play going against NFL offenses, I don't think his understanding of route concepts is there yet and he played near the los the majority of time( I don't think I've watched a safety blitz as much as he did) - play style tells me hybrid is the best fit for him.

ANy thoughts on Ito Smith? Small college running back, but reminds me of a a smaller version of Lesean McCoy and has some game tape against major college opponents.

Minkah will be a corner in the NFL if he test well.

Boundary though? He looks more polished than Ramsey no doubt but I don’t think he’s gonna test that level well in tbe burst or top speed side of things. Versatile and very smart very well coached. Has great size too

Very fluid

If we drop, I'm snagging Orlando Brown. If Quenton Nelson is available, I'm taking him at 11 and moving up to take Brown.

This class has some gooood offensive linemen.

Tag and trade Landry seems like where we're headed. Replace him with Grant or draft Christian Kirk.

I like Juwuan James, but we might be able to upgrade for less money while getting a pick back.

a TE, a TE! My kingdom for a TE!

Grier has to set an impeccable board this year. Is Roquan Smith worth it as a WLB? is Minkah Fitzpatrick worth taking on an already stacked secondary?

I've seen Derwin James all over draft boards. Does he fall like Hooker last year?

Can we get away with not drafting a power RB?

Back
Top Bottom