Some Ronnie Brown Common Sense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Ronnie Brown Common Sense

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
There is a lot of uninformed nonsense being spoken about Brown at the moment, about his talent and whether he's a great back.

The word 'great' is the most overused phrase in the world of sports. It defines a generation of athletes, yet it’s used with wanton disregard for history or analysis.

Look back the sporting moments that have defined your lives, the players that have defined your memories. Jerry Rice was great. So was Barry Sanders. So was Dan Marino. And Lawrence Taylor. Deion Sanders was great.

These are the standard bearers for greatness. Decade defining performers. Truly deserving of the word 'great'.

Take a look round at the league. Take running back for example. Look at the two best backs in the league – in my opinion –Tomlinson and Larry Johnson. Tomlinson is headed to the Hall of Fame. Johnson strikes me as the back most likely to run for 2000+ yards. In fact I see a lot of similarities between Ronnie and Larry. Johnson, like Brown, has been hampered by poor line play this season.

But are they ‘great’? Tomlinson probably is. Johnson? I don’t think so. He has the potential for greatness, but is he stand-alone great? No. Look at the last back to run for 2000 yards, Jamal Lewis. Is he great?

No.

So what we’re saying is that in a league of 32 teams, with each team having a minimum of 3 backs, that out of a minimum of 96 players, there is 1 ‘great’ one?

Look elsewhere. Chuck in Tom Brady, Peyton and Walter Jones, Champ Bailey, maybe Shawne Merriman. That’s great right there. I’m happy with that. But great should be defined by whether we look back and fondly remember their 'greatness' in 2 decades time. I look back now and remember some of the great plays by Taylor, the great runs of Sanders. I can still remember being in my bedroom and listening to Jerry Rice go 96 yards against the Chargers on Armed Forces Radio as though it were yesterday. I remember Marino to Ferrell Edmonds backed up on our goaline against the Chiefs in the playoffs and the Al Michaels 'mano y mano' commentary on the Mark Clayton winning catch against Albert Lewis in the right flat, all as though they were this morning. And yet other than the names on here, I’m not sure we could list a lot of others playing now as truly 'great'.

Harsh, but ultimately fair when you contextualise greatness.

So onto Brown. He’s certainly better than mediocre. Is he very good? No. He’s good. But why ONLY good? Well, he’s only played 20 games in his pro career. Look at the body of work – 292 carries, 1185 yards, at 4.1 a pop and 7 scores. That’s not bad. In fact that’s pretty good. Look back at him last year. What I saw was a big back, who flashed good speed, flashed good vision, flashed remarkable power – remember the Cleveland run - good hands, excellent blocking ability. But 'flashed' is the key word. I saw lots of 'great plays', just not enough to consider him anything other than good.

Yet.

Can he be very good ? Yes, absolutely and I completely believe he will be. Will he be 'great'? I’m not sure. But in a league of 1 great back in 96, being very good isn’t such a bad thing.

Are you kidding Boom? Ronnie should just cut off his legs...

/sarcasim

Ronnie is a top 10 RB. When we actually committ to running the ball by giving him a lead blocker or running out of a 2-TE set instead of a 4-WR set... he kills it. The more we try to revolve our offense around Ronnie, the more he will shine... and the better our team will be...

FinNasty said:
Are you kidding Boom? Ronnie should just cut off his legs...

/sarcasim

Ronnie is a top 10 RB. When we actually committ to running the ball by giving him a lead blocker or running out of a 2-TE set instead of a 4-WR set... he kills it. The more we try to revolve our offense around Ronnie, the more he will shine... and the better our team will be...

I couldn't agree more....

I just wanted to be included in the only good thread I've seen here in a while. :D

and this is a bit off topic, but I've been impressed with Joey. He shows some pretty good poise back there. I know he's thrown 4 picks, but 2 of those have bounced off of receivers....

I'm looking for positives where I can find them...at 1-5 we have to find the silver linings where we can ...

Great post Boom! I love Ronnie and what he brings to the table. I'm not down on him at all as others are. And as far as the 'great' argument goes, why does he have to be great....can't he just be very good and help us win?

I dont need the next Walter Payton/Emmitt Smith in Miami. I like Ronnie. I like his running style. I dont feel he lacks vision as others claim. He can catch the ball out of the backfield about as good as any back in the league, in fact he has one of the best sets of hands I've seen outside of Tomlinson. Why can't people be happy we have a good back who will only get better and MAY turn into a great back. At worse, you're looking at a very good running back. I guess too many fans are hung up on the whole "number 2 pick" thing.

boomer never lets us down, it takes such minds to ease the pain and bring us back to reality.

Excellent post from across the pond. It's too bad the locals can't have that kind of positive outlook on this season. Good job, Boomer!

Boomer said:
There is a lot of uninformed nonsense being spoken about Brown at the moment, about his talent and whether he's a great back.

The word 'great' is the most overused phrase in the world of sports. It defines a generation of athletes, yet it’s used with wanton disregard for history or analysis.

Look back the sporting moments that have defined your lives, the players that have defined your memories. Jerry Rice was great. So was Barry Sanders. So was Dan Marino. And Lawrence Taylor. Deion Sanders was great.

These are the standard bearers for greatness. Decade defining performers. Truly deserving of the word 'great'.

Take a look round at the league. Take running back for example. Look at the two best backs in the league – in my opinion –Tomlinson and Larry Johnson. Tomlinson is headed to the Hall of Fame. Johnson strikes me as the back most likely to run for 2000+ yards. In fact I see a lot of similarities between Ronnie and Larry. Johnson, like Brown, has been hampered by poor line play this season.

But are they ‘great’? Tomlinson probably is. Johnson? I don’t think so. He has the potential for greatness, but is he stand-alone great? No. Look at the last back to run for 2000 yards, Jamal Lewis. Is he great?

No.

So what we’re saying is that in a league of 32 teams, with each team having a minimum of 3 backs, that out of a minimum of 96 players, there is 1 ‘great’ one?

Look elsewhere. Chuck in Tom Brady, Peyton and Walter Jones, Champ Bailey, maybe Shawne Merriman. That’s great right there. I’m happy with that. But great should be defined by whether we look back and fondly remember their 'greatness' in 2 decades time. I look back now and remember some of the great plays by Taylor, the great runs of Sanders. I can still remember being in my bedroom and listening to Jerry Rice go 96 yards against the Chargers on Armed Forces Radio as though it were yesterday. I remember Marino to Ferrell Edmonds backed up on our goaline against the Chiefs in the playoffs and the Al Michaels 'mano y mano' commentary on the Mark Clayton winning catch against Albert Lewis in the right flat, all as though they were this morning. And yet other than the names on here, I’m not sure we could list a lot of others playing now as truly 'great'.

Harsh, but ultimately fair when you contextualise greatness.

So onto Brown. He’s certainly better than mediocre. Is he very good? No. He’s good. But why ONLY good? Well, he’s only played 20 games in his pro career. Look at the body of work – 292 carries, 1185 yards, at 4.1 a pop and 7 scores. That’s not bad. In fact that’s pretty good. Look back at him last year. What I saw was a big back, who flashed good speed, flashed good vision, flashed remarkable power – remember the Cleveland run - good hands, excellent blocking ability. But 'flashed' is the key word. I saw lots of 'great plays', just not enough to consider him anything other than good.

Yet.

Can he be very good ? Yes, absolutely and I completely believe he will be. Will he be 'great'? I’m not sure. But in a league of 1 great back in 96, being very good isn’t such a bad thing.

How's this for some common sense ...

If you guys think Ronnie isn't doing so well this year, take a look at LaDainian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, and Reggie Bush's stats. Tomlinson and Johnson have a lot more experience than Ronnie does and probably much better offensive lines.

I know the Saints have a fairly good line this year, so what's the deal with Reggie Bush? He's getting $6 million more guaranteed than Ronnie. According some people's standards on this board, Reggie probably should just be traded or something ... his perfomance indicates that he just isn't worth the money spent on him as a #2 draft pick and he's a BUST, etc.

Guess what folks, so far this season, Ronnie Brown has more yards than Larry Johnson, more yards per carry, and more TDs. Ronnie also has more yards per carry than LaDainian Tomlinson.

Ronnie has 153 yards receiving vs. LaDainian's 174 yards and Ronnie didn't get ONE pass thrown to him during the Jets game for some reason.

For the 2006 season ...

Ronnie Brown: 405 yards, 3.8 ypc, 27 longest run, 4 TDs

Larry Johnson: 357 yards, 3.4 ypc, 28 longest run, 3 TDs

LaDainian Tomlinson: 407 yards, 3.7 ypc, 58 longest run, 7 TDs

Reggie Bush: 195 yards, 3.0 ypc, 18 longest run, 0 TDs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7178

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5452

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4485

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7751

Back
Top Bottom