Some Ronnie Brown Common Sense | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Ronnie Brown Common Sense

dlockz said:
No was not saying Johnson is a better receiver, maybe more dangerous with the ball but Brown is one of the better receivers at his position in the NFL. Neither of these guys is in Reggie Bush's receiving class but both are better runners at this point.

Ronnie isn't in Reggie Bush's receiving class? :hmmm:

Actually, Ronnie has better yards per catch numbers than Reggie Bush and MUCH BETTER rushing numbers. Reggie is getting more passes thrown his way. Why Mularkey and Joey didn't even throw ONE pass to Ronnie in the Jets game I have no idea. If Ronnie caught 18 more balls this year, he might have 291 yards or so (7.7 x 18) + 153. Ronnie's doing just as well as Reggie catching the ball. He's definitely in Reggie's "receiving class" so far. He just needs more balls thrown to him.

Ronnie can make things happen in open space after he catches a pass ... he'll usually break that first tackle and can get at least 5-6 yards. He'll even jump over tacklers like he did in the Buffalo game last year as shown in my avatar picture ... that was a pass play to Ronnie. It was awesome. He scored on that one. It's on YouTube.

Ronnie Brown: 20 catches, 153 yards, 7.7 yards per catch

Reggie Bush: 38 catches, 285 yards, 7.5 yards per catch

I like this thread, but the upshot of the whole thing (and the original post) is that Ronnie is good, but not great. I see a lot of hostility towards "Ronnie Haters" in this thread, but I don't know who those people are? The overwhelming opinion is that Ronnie is good but not great, but because some people don't make that statement in a "feelgood" way, they are haters? Everyone agrees that Ronnie is good, not great at this point, so we are fighting with each other because we don't like the way it is being said?

I just don't get you guys. It's like talking to a bunch of 3rd grade girls..."It's not what you say, but how you say it". What a joke.

DolphinsFan23 said:
Ronnie isn't in Reggie Bush's receiving class? :hmmm:

Actually, Ronnie has better yards per catch numbers than Reggie Bush and MUCH BETTER rushing numbers. Reggie is getting more passes thrown his way. Why Mularkey and Joey didn't even throw ONE pass to Ronnie in the Jets game I have no idea. If Ronnie caught 18 more balls this year, he might have 291 yards or so (7.7 x 18) + 153. Ronnie's doing just as well as Reggie catching the ball. He's definitely in Reggie's "receiving class" so far. He just needs more balls thrown to him.

Ronnie can make things happen in open space after he catches a pass ... he'll usually break that first tackle and get at least 5-6 yards. He'll even jump over tacklers like he did in the Buffalo game last year as shown in my avatar picture ... that was a pass play to Ronnie. It was awesome. He scored on that one. It's on YouTube.

Ronnie Brown: 20 catches, 153 yards, 7.7 yards per catch

Reggie Bush: 38 catches, 285 yards, 7.5 yards per catch

Ronnie's a top 5 pass catcher among RBs, but basically there is Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook, and everyone else.

Westbrook and Bush are in a different class because they can split out wide and run receiver routes...and coaches think they are a mismatch against most corners.

Ronnie's got great hands, and a lot of good open field moves and athleticism to make more YAC happen. But, lining him up as a receiver and asking him to execute a receiver move would be a mistake.

ckparrothead said:
Ronnie's a top 5 pass catcher among RBs, but basically there is Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook, and everyone else.

Westbrook and Bush are in a different class because they can split out wide and run receiver routes...and coaches think they are a mismatch against most corners.

Ronnie's got great hands, and a lot of good open field moves and athleticism to make more YAC happen. But, lining him up as a receiver and asking him to execute a receiver move would be a mistake.

While I definatly agree with you that Bush and Westbrook are in a different class in that they practically are WRs more than they are RBs... I very much disagree with you that lining up Ronnie at WR and asking him to run a WR route would be a mistake. In fact, I think he would be quite successful...

FinNasty said:
While I definatly agree with you that Bush and Westbrook are in a different class in that they practically are WRs more than they are RBs... I very much disagree with you that lining up Ronnie at WR and asking him to run a WR route would be a mistake. In fact, I think he would be quite successful...

Sorry but I just don't believe you ask a 6'0" and 237 pound man to split wide and pretend he's a receiver. He's not built for it, he can't move like a receiver, and there's a reason our coaches haven't really bothered to do it.

You want him to get the ball in the open field where he can use his size/speed combo, power, and quickness to make someone miss.

You throw him out at WR with a CB lined up about 5 yards away from him, and that CB isn't going to miss a single move Ronnie makes. Ronnie isn't going to beat him deep, he isn't going to be able to juke him that close up, and he wouldn't be able to fake him. He doesn't have the body dexterity or quickness to do that.

Reggie Bush is able to do it because he's built like a WR...long and lean. Ronnie's a lot more stocky.

ckparrothead said:
Sorry but I just don't believe you ask a 6'0" and 237 pound man to split wide and pretend he's a receiver. He's not built for it, he can't move like a receiver, and there's a reason our coaches haven't really bothered to do it.

You want him to get the ball in the open field where he can use his size/speed combo, power, and quickness to make someone miss.

You throw him out at WR with a CB lined up about 5 yards away from him, and that CB isn't going to miss a single move Ronnie makes. Ronnie isn't going to beat him deep, he isn't going to be able to juke him that close up, and he wouldn't be able to fake him. He doesn't have the body dexterity or quickness to do that.

Reggie Bush is able to do it because he's built like a WR...long and lean. Ronnie's a lot more stocky.

I was thinking more along the lines of motioning him out to WR from the backfield and getting him matched up on a LB...

FinNasty said:
I was thinking more along the lines of motioning him out to WR from the backfield and getting him matched up on a LB...

And then what, though?

He'd be a virtual tight end, but not nearly as big as one. Linebackers already regularly deal with tight ends that are 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Ronnie Brown. Some of them even run just as fast as him too (Ben Watson, Vernon Davis).

It's not really a mismatch from that position. The linebacker starts out his coverage a lot closer to Ronnie Brown and his primary responsibility would be coverage of Brown.

When a runner runs routes from a halfback position in the formation, the linebacker that ends up having to cover him starts off way further away from him before he begins coverage, and he has a number of responsibilities to check through before he goes ahead and mirrors the runner.

Just get Ronnie on the LOS against a LB and he's not really a mismatch in coverage except maybe vertically...but even then, a safety would be able to bottle him up unless you've found a way to clear the safety out of the area.

Personally I like wheel routes as Ronnie's best option for getting down the field on someone in a mismatch situation. Wheel routes start from the halfback position though, not the slot.

From the slot really the only thing I see Ronnie or any other non-Westbrook, non-Bush runner doing really well is a slant route.

Excellent post boom, 5 stars. I love ronnie, he's my favorite player, he's one of the main reasons i love watching the dolphins every sunday.

Sethdaddy8 said:
I thought you wrote a very nice article, until you said Ronnie Brown flashed good vision. I disagree with you there. I think he's below average at best in this category, as well as true football instincts (when ball carrying/not blocking). If he had a back like Ricky Wlliams vision and insticts, there'd be no need for this thread.

Just flick on that You Tube video and tell me he doesn't FLASH good vision.

ckparrothead said:
And then what, though?

He'd be a virtual tight end, but not nearly as big as one. Linebackers already regularly deal with tight ends that are 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Ronnie Brown. Some of them even run just as fast as him too (Ben Watson, Vernon Davis).

It's not really a mismatch from that position. The linebacker starts out his coverage a lot closer to Ronnie Brown and his primary responsibility would be coverage of Brown.

When a runner runs routes from a halfback position in the formation, the linebacker that ends up having to cover him starts off way further away from him before he begins coverage, and he has a number of responsibilities to check through before he goes ahead and mirrors the runner.

Just get Ronnie on the LOS against a LB and he's not really a mismatch in coverage except maybe vertically...but even then, a safety would be able to bottle him up unless you've found a way to clear the safety out of the area.

Personally I like wheel routes as Ronnie's best option for getting down the field on someone in a mismatch situation. Wheel routes start from the halfback position though, not the slot.

From the slot really the only thing I see Ronnie or any other non-Westbrook, non-Bush runner doing really well is a slant route.

Exactly. At Auburn he was hugely succesful on wheel routes. In fact I remember against Tennessee at the Checkerboard when he wheeled out down the left sideline and laid out between 2 defenders about 30 yards downfield and made the grab. He has really good hands and aside from the aforementioned Bush and Westbrook, there's few that can touch him hands wise.

Boomer said:
Exactly. At Auburn he was hugely succesful on wheel routes. In fact I remember against Tennessee at the Checkerboard when he wheeled out down the left sideline and laid out between 2 defenders about 30 yards downfield and made the grab. He has really good hands and aside from the aforementioned Bush and Westbrook, there's few that can touch him hands wise.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I've ever seen Miami throw to him on a wheel route down the sidelines.

It might be that we just never have the time for that play to develop.

ckparrothead said:
Unfortunately I'm not sure I've ever seen Miami throw to him on a wheel route down the sidelines.

It might be that we just never have the time for that play to develop.

Unfortunately me neither. But I would certainly try and incorporate it into my gameplan. I can't believe, considering how succesful he was at it at Auburn, that they haven't run it through the week.

Boomer said:
Unfortunately me neither. But I would certainly try and incorporate it into my gameplan. I can't believe, considering how succesful he was at it at Auburn, that they haven't run it through the week.

One of the things that has baffled me most starting last year right up through this year.

ckparrothead said:
One of the things that has baffled me most starting last year right up through this year.

Odder still that a guy that played against him and TWO different offensive co-ordinators haven't managed to tie this play down.

Back
Top Bottom