Some Ronnie Brown Common Sense | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Ronnie Brown Common Sense

dlockz said:
Yea and he also played with teams so bad early in his career they make this team look good. His 73 and 75 years are among the best ever at the position.
Ronnie is not close to an OJ simpson on the field or off, but not many are. Sanders line with Detroit was not good. LIke the thread says too many on this board want to proclaim Ronnie as great before he does anything. Similar to the ridiculous comparisms of Allen And Polamalu. Right now Ronnie is a middle of the pack runningback until he proves otherwise.

1-Tomlinson 10-Gore
2- Portis 11-Johnson,r
3-McGaheee
4-Johnson, L
5-Alexander S All these guys would have to rank ahead of Ronnie
6-Barber, T based on thier performances now and in the past
7-Jackson, S
8-Mcalsiter, D
9-Dunn,W

You would at best have to lump him in with Guys like Thomas Jones, Brian Westbrook, Lamont Jordan, Edge James,Ahman Green,Jamal Lewis, fred Taylor and Tatum Bell. This is not exactly bad company and some of these backs have actually accomplished more than Brown might ever(Edge).

I'm not knocking Brown but we have to be realistic that he has not been the beast that many claim him to be. Also they were in no particular order except LT.

How exactly has Willis "proved" himself any more than Ronnie. Willis had one good season, and was worthless last year. Actually, how has LJ proved himself more than Ronnie? I mean, he had a great 2nd half of last year behind the best oline in football... but thats it.

FinNasty said:
How exactly has Willis "proved" himself any more than Ronnie. Willis had one good season, and was worthless last year. Actually, how has LJ proved himself more than Ronnie? I mean, he had a great 2nd half of last year behind the best oline in football... but thats it.

Whether u like Willis that much or not is not the question , he has done more than Ronnie in the NFL whether u or I like it or not. AS for Larry Johnson you must be joking, he started 9 games at RB and had 1700 yards. Great line or not he had to get it done. Some people act like any back could just walk on the field and accomplish that. Even in this a bad year, he has got it done catching the ball so far. Ronni had 900 yards last year and people act like he is the next coming of LT and you give no props to Johnson for 1700 yards while splitting carries half the year and starting 9 games, geesh.

ckparrothead said:
BTW as an update,

Ronnie Brown has 1,697 total yards and 9 TDs since being drafted.

Cadillac Williams has 1,636 total yards and 7 TDs since being drafted.

You also have to add that he hasnt Missed any games.

Pro-X said:
You also have to add that he hasnt Missed any games.

Actually Ronnie did miss the last 2 games due to a minor knee sprain. He could have played that last game of the season but Saban wouldn't let him. He also shared carries with Ricky last season. That makes his stats more impressive to me. If Ronnie was the featured back like Larry Johnson (Priest Holmes was injured) and he had a line like KC did last year, he probably would have gotten 1,300+ yards rushing and maybe 400 more receiving ... 1,700 all purpose yards.

Folks, a lot of these top running backs get their big yards and Pro Bowl invites to a large extent due to the CIRCUMSTANCES they are in with the team. Edgerrin James is a perfect example. He was a 5 time Pro Bowler when he had the Colts' line and Peyton. Last year after 6 games with the Colts he had 662 yards and 4.6 yards per carry. This year with Arizona's line he has 398 yards and 2.7 yards per carry. On Monday night against the Bears, the Cardinals' run blocking was about as bad as it gets. Last year's MVP Shaun Alexander now has 2.9 yards per carry this year. What's different this year? Pro Bowl offensive guard Steve Hutchison went for a bigger contract and is now with the Vikings.

Offensive linemen DO make a bigger difference than people think. It's pretty obvious that even 5 time Pro Bowlers like Edgerrin James DO need their blockers in order to rack up the big yards and make all the highlight reels on ESPN.

All things considered with our offensive line this year, I think Ronnie is doing pretty darned good. Ronnie needs those linemen to be run blocking well. Ronnie should be offering to take the linemen out to dinner or whatever they want to do when the run blocking is good and he gets a 100+ yard game. Lot's of QBs and running backs have done it over the years. I'm sure Ronnie knows that the offensive linemen don't get nearly the credit they deserve.

dlockz said:
Whether u like Willis that much or not is not the question , he has done more than Ronnie in the NFL whether u or I like it or not.

Maybe because he's played longer in the NFL? Other than that, there isn't much difference.

McGahee's 1st year (starting): 1,128 rushing yards/284 carries (3.97 ypc), 22 receptions for 169 yards, 13 Touchdowns.

Brown's rookie season; 907 rushing yards/207 carries (4.38 ypc), 32 receptions for 232 yards, 5 touchdowns.

Comparing their 1st seasons played, McGahee had 221 more rushing yards and 77 more carries. Brown would've had to average 2.87 ypc over his next 77 carries to match McGahee's yards rushing.

McGahee's 2nd season starting: 1,247 rushing yards/325 carries (3.83 ypc), 28 receptions for 178 yards, 5 touchdowns.

McGahee (2006): 505 rushing yards/130 carries (3.88 ypc), 12 receptions for 66 yards, 1 touchdown.

Brown (2006): 405 rushing yards/107 carries (3.79 ypc), 20 receptions for 153 yards, 4 touchdowns.

McGahee has 100 more rushing yards and 23 more carries so far this year; the only difference I see is the number of carries.

dlockz said:
AS for Larry Johnson you must be joking, he started 9 games at RB and had 1700 yards. Great line or not he had to get it done. Some people act like any back could just walk on the field and accomplish that... and you give no props to Johnson for 1700 yards while splitting carries half the year and starting 9 games, geesh.

Larry Johnson is one of the top 3 runnings backs in the NFL, IMO. But the "9 games started and 1700 yards"; you make it sound like he averaged 10 ypc. 2005 was a great season; but it still took him 336 carries to achieve what he did.

dlockz said:
Even in this a bad year, he has got it done catching the ball so far.

The Chiefs are smart enough to make Johnson the centerpiece of their offense, even with his down year, they are giving him the ball (rushing and catching).

Larry Johnson: 357 rushing yards/105 carries (3.4 ypc), 23 receptions for 274 yards, 4 touchdowns. 5 games played....

Brown (2006): 405 rushing yards/107 carries (3.79 ypc), 20 receptions for 153 yards, 4 touchdowns. 6 games played.....

dlockz said:
Ronni had 900 yards last year and people act like he is the next coming of LT.... .

Those 907 yards came with only 207 carries; considering the line he played behind and the fact he had the same ypc as RW behind the same line......I'd say that's something to be excited about.

Mainge said:
Based on what? Because you said so? Oh yeah? Well, Peyton Manning isn't very good either, so HAH!

Thats called his OPINION...People have different ones...so people need to stop bashing other people who give a OPINION...people

Mainge said:
Based on what? Because you said so? Oh yeah? Well, Peyton Manning isn't very good either, so HAH!

Thats called his OPINION...People have different ones...so people need to stop bashing other people who give an OPINION...people do get outta line (cough) !...sorry if i do at times but i am a old tymer with many opinions and speak my mind....Ronnie Brown is not a GREAT back...he can be someday but he is not "GREAT".....Lets start from this week foward and finish out the year with positives..not just negatives all the time!we will right the ship and its never to late to start a run so let the WINS begin this week vs the packers!

GO FINS :dolphins:
sorry for the double post ...i was not finished and "button mashed" !!!

DolphinsFan23 said:
We really couldn't get Shawn Merriman with the 2nd pick of the draft. Because of Ricky's "retirement" to a tent in Australia or India or wherever, Saban HAD to get a top running back like most of the top NFL teams have. He was pretty much deciding between Ronnie and Caddy at that point. Saban had no idea what the deal was with Ricky. He still doesn't probably. Nobody knows except Ricky and he might change his mind at any time for all we know.

Actually the Dolphins had a very good idea that Ricky would be back last year....after the Judge found him owing millions of dollars to Wayne, far earlier than the draft. If you remember Saban and Ricky were in contact for a very long time....long before the draft....Saban selected Ronnie Brown because he wanted too....not that he had too. We also have to remember that Saban NEVER dealt with a draft before the 2005 draft....never made a selection, never made a trade of picks.

Joe Flipper said:
Thats called his OPINION...People have different ones...so people need to stop bashing other people who give an OPINION...people do get outta line (cough) !...sorry if i do at times but i am a old tymer with many opinions and speak my mind....Ronnie Brown is not a GREAT back...he can be someday but he is not "GREAT".....Lets start from this week foward and finish out the year with positives..not just negatives all the time!we will right the ship and its never to late to start a run so let the WINS begin this week vs the packers!

That's all well and good. But why not add substance to the conversation and bring up reasons why he doesn't like Ronnie, to back him up? I don't have a problem with his OPINION. I have a problem with him stating something, and not adding substance to the conversation. Boomer took his time, gave his thoughts on the subject, and wrote a wonderful post that he backed up with facts. And this dude just chimes in with "Your wrong, Ronnie sucks"

Shouldn't he back up his opinion with substance and add to the conversation?

Mainge said:
That's all well and good. But why not add substance to the conversation and bring up reasons why he doesn't like Ronnie, to back him up? I don't have a problem with his OPINION. I have a problem with him stating something, and not adding substance to the conversation. Boomer took his time, gave his thoughts on the subject, and wrote a wonderful post that he backed up with facts. And this dude just chimes in with "Your wrong, Ronnie sucks"

Shouldn't he back up his opinion with substance and add to the conversation?

He should and I demand it! I want substance! I want substance!

dlockz said:
Whether u like Willis that much or not is not the question , he has done more than Ronnie in the NFL whether u or I like it or not. AS for Larry Johnson you must be joking, he started 9 games at RB and had 1700 yards. Great line or not he had to get it done. Some people act like any back could just walk on the field and accomplish that. Even in this a bad year, he has got it done catching the ball so far. Ronni had 900 yards last year and people act like he is the next coming of LT and you give no props to Johnson for 1700 yards while splitting carries half the year and starting 9 games, geesh.

I never said either of them wernt good. I said in terms of being "proven", LJ hasnt even been a sole back for an entire season. I think he is great, but he isnt "proven" yet. And by "proven", I mean atleast 2-3 years of consistant production.

And Willis has done more than Ronnie, but again, not enough for me to consider him "proven".

Joe Flipper said:

I'm not sure where this pervasive notion came from that opinions can't be wrong, unfounded, or ridiculous. I'm not saying any of the particular opinions expressed in this thread are one of those things but the point stands. If my opinion was that the holocaust didn't really happen, I'm sure someone out there would bash the living heck out of my "opinion".

Ronnie does well to churn out some of the best 3 or 4 yard runs you'll ever see. Our OL is simply not blocking consistently enough to keep feeding him the ball for 4 quarters. The closest we've come to that this season was in the NYJ game (against a weak DL) and his stats that game reflect his talent.

The only problem I have with Ronnie is that he's sometimes content with ending a big play by running out of bounds. I want to see a little more killer instinct when he's running in the open field.

Back
Top Bottom