Sour Gus | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sour Gus

I have always stated that Gus should not be our starter and was only backup material at best. Gus has no reason to be upset with us only his agent. I have never wavered from the fact that Gus should not be our starter this year.

dlockz said:
Reality no team wants Gus to be thier starter.

Dude, you need to go back to school. My point was not about Gus being a starter. My point was how Gus was treated in the whole deal. Gus wanting to be a starter is a good thing. Its called competition. Im sure he accepts the fact that he may not be starting in St louis. But the difference for us is that we dont have a backup now and St louis does.

Whatever, im done here. You keep spinning it the way you want to. So have fun with the Gus bashing. Im going to work.

Gus was thrown into a starters position and, once adjusted, did a decent job. He has the tools to be a starter (arm strength, field vision etc.) but lacks a bit of accuracy. I PERSONALLY liked Gus, as I liked Jay Fiedler too, but how can you pass on D. Pep?

Thanks Gus for doing a solid job and leading us to a 9-7 season! Far better than most predicted! Good luck in St. Louis.

finfan54 said:
Dude, you need to go back to school. My point was not about Gus being a starter. My point was how Gus was treated in the whole deal. Gus wanting to be a starter is a good thing. Its called competition. Im sure he accepts the fact that he may not be starting in St louis. But the difference for us is that we dont have a backup now and St louis does.

Whatever, im done here. You keep spinning it the way you want to. So have fun with the Gus bashing. Im going to work.

Yea , I need to go back to school because you disagree with me, typical bs.
Glad your done here. I thought this was a message board and not a bar exam, I guess I was mistaken. Anybody thinks that losing Frerotte is a big deal might need to sign up for some courses themselves.

I really love it when people disagree and then try to insult somebody because they misstype something or get lazy with punctuation.

if you guys remember i knew gas was an idiot he was the one that turned down my brother for an authgraph but calling him names and saying the guy sucks and that he's a backup is outragious he was capable of starting and was a decent player that never got any respect.( mostly everybody wanted Aj in traINING CAMP

DaBearNY said:
:dolphins: He's just sour because he knows the Dolphins are going places....and his "new" team probably isn't going anywhere before he retires! Sorry Gus, it's not you....it's us....We're just that much better!!!:sidelol:

Yeah, thats exactly why. Sigh.

Also finfan54 is correct, if Saban had handled Gus differently by not holding him hostage while he procured his replacement and then demand he take a severe pay cut (especially when Gus darn well could go somewhere else and get much more), he would probably still be here and have accepted a backup role.

Now Miami is in the situation where Tommy Maddox might be our starting QB for half the season and they have no one in the QB rotation that has ever played with this team.

DolfanChris06 said:
if you guys remember i knew gas was an idiot he was the one that turned down my brother for an authgraph but calling him names and saying the guy sucks and that he's a backup is outragious he was capable of starting and was a decent player that never got any respect.( mostly everybody wanted Aj in traINING CAMP

I don't think calling him a backup is an insult, its just the role he is more suited for. He really is not all that good or don't you think Saban would have tried harder to keep him if he was really that good. There still are many teams that needed starters, so if he was that good how come no team is paying him nice money or giving him a chance to be thier starter. I doubt there is a conspiracy to keep Gus from being a starter. The whole problem started because we should not have made the incentives worth so much in his contract thus keeping us from paying his salary this year, much like the contract that Griese signed with us.

Gus made it sound like he was the reason that we went from being a "4-12 team the year before to a 9-7 team under him" (bascially his words). He felt he deserved to start since he "led" us to this "great" record after a horrible season.

What he doesn't realize is....that although our record was 4-12 last year that we weren't really a 4-12 team. We lost most of our games by less then a TD. Don't even get me started on Ricky quitting, Wannsteadt quitting, Marino quitting, us losing both DTs either before the season or just barely into the season, us working on RB #5 by game 4, Booker joining us 2 days before the first game, Fiedler getting injured, etc. etc. etc.

Gus fails to realize that we were jinxed last year and Moor's law was definitely in effect. If anything at all could have gone wrong.....IT DID....and we still were in most of the games.

That said...just because he shows up he think's he's the main reason we went 9-7. Oh no....had NOTHING to do with us having our players healthy most of the season....NOTHING to do with not only having Ricky back....but also a stud #2 RB to fill the void we couldn't the season before....I could go on and on. Gus did a fair job for us....but he didn't "earn" the right to be the starter and Saban was extremely clear BEFORE he was hired/signed....during training camp last offseason...as well as heading into this offseason that QB was a priority to upgrade. So DON'T WHINE ABOUT IT GUS! :)

daniel3 said:

Also finfan54 is correct, if Saban had handled Gus differently by not holding him hostage while he procured his replacement and then demand he take a severe pay cut (especially when Gus darn well could go somewhere else and get much more), he would probably still be here and have accepted a backup role.

Now Miami is in the situation where Tommy Maddox might be our starting QB for half the season and they have no one in the QB rotation that has ever played with this team.

i'm sure Saban did not trade for a Qb that he felt would miss half the season. Gus still had plenty of oppurtunity to take big money from a team needing a QB, the problem is nobody is willing to pay Gus big money.

finfan54 said:
He expected people to treat him with respect, just like you would want people to treat you. But that is not what he got according to his own feelings. Its not that he expected to be the starting QB, but that he would be talked to like he was needed but thats not what he got. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

He was treated with respect...read all of Saban's comments...there weren't any derogatory remarks made.

In the end, Saban was forthright and honest...he wanted to improve the QA position...and he stated so openly. Its the business part of it, like it or not.

Plus, you don't know what went on behind close doors.

Bottom line...there are a lot of winers in sports in general. Gus is obviously one of them.

Frerrotte is another malcontent that can't get it through his head that he's only mediocre at best!! Saban gave him plenty of opportunity and he blew it, pure and simple!! Anyone else would've benched him!! The more he opens his big mouth, the more it will have a negative effect on him!! I hope he and Linehan skip off onto the sunset together!! They deserve each other!!

Sorry... I had to vent a bit!!

Waldop said:
Frerrotte is another malcontent that can't get it through his head that he's only mediocre at best!! Saban gave him plenty of opportunity and he blew it, pure and simple!! Anyone else would've benched him!! The more he opens his big mouth, the more it will have a negative effect on him!! I hope he and Linehan skip off onto the sunset together!! They deserve each other!!

Sorry... I had to vent a bit!!

I do think they made a love connection.

daniel3 said:

Well, for one thing, Saban told Gus before starting to shop that he was upgrading the position. At that point, before the Brees-fever and Pepper-signing, he let Gus' agent know that he would likely not be the starter, but would put provisions in his reworked contract that paid him like a starter if he ended up being the starter..(is that leading Gus on ?) That is when Gus started to biatch...He didn't hold Gus hostage at all, in fact Gus found meaningful employment within days of being cut by us...I didn't see the figures of what Gus got, because I really didn't care, but i'm sure its not starting pay ?? So what did Gus gain ??? Nothing...at any rate, even before DC came on, Gus is what he is...a career backup. He proved that last year with the Fins. He did some nice things, but mostly he proved he was not a starting NFL caliber QB...

This isn't Gus bashing, it's telling it like it is...Again...he was better than AJ, so I have to give him that. Was he better than Ears ?? I don't know...I don't think so based on the results and stats. Ears was much more accurate than Gus, but had weaknesses that Gus didn't have (arm-strength, decision making at critical times, etc)...But then again, that was a different team and different coaching staff.

The bottom line is that Gus didn't do anything worth cheering about as a QB. He had a couple of good games, a several bad games and a few more so-so games. This is fact, not bashing...

Back
Top Bottom