Sources: Miami would like to trade Thigpen before draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sources: Miami would like to trade Thigpen before draft

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Sources don't expect the Dolphins to head into the regular season with four quarterbacks on the roster, and with Chad Henne firmly entrenched as the starter, Tyler Thigpen, Chad Pennington and Pat White are the candidates to be moved. It's been said that Thigpen is the signalcaller most likely to be traded, and we're told Miami would like to move him before the draft. However, teams in need of a backup could wait until closer to training camp to make a swap to fill that hole, and there's a good chance the Dolphins will have to wait a bit longer to find a suitor for Thigpen.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/11/giants-may-surprise-with-offensive-pick

Well, I'd like for them to hold on to Thigpen. I like what I've seen from him in KC and MIA

But for this year, we do have Penny backing up, so I wouldn't cry too hard about getting a mid round pick

I'd like to have a million dollars too...doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

Why does this article say "teams in need of a back up"? There are several teams out there that could trade for Thigpen and he'd have a pretty good chance of being the starting QB.

If the Fin trade, trade Smiley and trade Thigpen we are gonna be real happy campers.

Thigpen could end up starting for a lot of lower tier teams. For many others, he is an easy #2. I bet we are looking for a 5th or 6th, which is a gamble for other teams.

i will be ok with thigpen as the backup, i say we trade chadp more trade value, thigpen showed he is more than capable of being a backup, there are probably 5 teams that would love pennington and will pull the trigger

Thigpen could end up starting for a lot of lower tier teams. For many others, he is an easy #2. I bet we are looking for a 5th or 6th, which is a gamble for other teams.
I think they are looking for a 4th for Thigpen. Why? Here are a few reasons:

1. Miami spent a 5th round pick to get him from KC.

2. Thigpen is a capable starter as he proved in 2008 with the Chiefs.

3. Charlie Whitehurst who has never attempted a NFL pass was traded for a 3rd round pick in 2011 and the Chargers swapped second round picks in 2010 with the Seahawks.

Also, if Buffalo is the team that comes calling, you can bet that what Miami is willing to trade him for will go up by one round. If they are looking for a 4th round pick, Buffalo would have to offer a 3rd round pick.

Personally, I would like to see the team just keep Thigpen. I think he would be a great long term backup for Henne. I would rather wait until TC and try and move Pennington. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Thigpen and Pennington traded before the start of the season. There is a lot of talk that Miami could target Skelton in the later rounds(6th or 7th).

I'm not completely sold on Henne and even less so on Pat White. It would be a really dumb idea to trade Thigpen away without giving him a chance this year.

A pre-season and some regular season experience would really boost his trade value too. The front office seems to have a poor grasp on creating value or the appearance of value.

Thing about this is the Skins also want to trade Jason Campbell. So he probably would bring much more interest than Thigpen right now. Personally I would rather see White get traded for a box of skittles before we got rid of Thigpen.

I think they are looking for a 4th for Thigpen. Why? Here are a few reasons:

1. Miami spent a 5th round pick to get him from KC.

2. Thigpen is a capable starter as he proved in 2008 with the Chiefs.

3. Charlie Whitehurst who has never attempted a NFL pass was traded for a 3rd round pick in 2011 and the Chargers swapped second round picks in 2010 with the Seahawks.

Also, if Buffalo is the team that comes calling, you can bet that what Miami is willing to trade him for will go up by one round. If they are looking for a 4th round pick, Buffalo would have to offer a 3rd round pick.

Personally, I would like to see the team just keep Thigpen. I think he would be a great long term backup for Henne. I would rather wait until TC and try and move Pennington. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Thigpen and Pennington traded before the start of the season. There is a lot of talk that Miami could target Skelton in the later rounds(6th or 7th).

Agree with all of this.

Nublar nice post, if we do get a 4th for Thigpen then IMO that is a great move by the FO. Have to pull the trigger there.

I was thinking about this the other day. I think we are trying to trade Thigpen and here is why. Sparano has already said that Pennington is going to be our third QB on the depth chart. That means whoever we keep is going to be #2 on the depth chart. So if we keep White then he is still here to run the wildcat and we also have Pennington waiting in the wings just incase Henne is injured. Also, add to the fact that this FO is not going to give up on a player they drafted in the 2nd round last year and its really pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom