Spielman Purge- He Has to GO | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman Purge- He Has to GO

You obviously know nothing about Reggie Howard.

dolfanmark said:
Actually, if Spielman had anything to do with the Ricky contract, then he's a genius. Think about it. The contract included a clause that said, "If Ricky breaches his contract, we get his signing bonus back, including bonus money that New Orleans paid him." That's brilliant! And, now we find out that the contract included another clause that said, "If Ricky breaches his contract, his base salary reverts to what it was in New Orleans, the league minimum." Again, brilliant! Seriously, if Spielman was even partly responsible for those clauses, you have to give him a lot of credit.

Ok, I'll give him credit for writing a good contract (if he really had anything to do with the language), if you'll admit that having two young first rounders here right now would have been more value to this franchise than what Ricky has been?

Hindsight may be 20/20, but it is also the ultimate judge of how good a trade was.......Ricky was a known flake with red flags all over him, two first rounders was a stiff price to pay for this organization.

I think Saban will bring in "his own guy," and Spielman is only here till he finds his replacement. As big of a reach trading for Feeley may turn out to be, Vernon Carey may end up being a much bigger bust, a 1st and a 4th for a guy who might not start. I think Spielman can turn into a good gm, but I don't think it'll be in Miami.

unifiedtheory said:
The once a month "Spielman has to go" thread from Steve S...

are you sure Steve S is not really wanny in disguise. wanny is still sore about him getting the boot and rick still having a job. :ears:

Rich22 said:
<<Nick doesn't know Spielman, it's not about faith, most people want their own ppl, but if Nick sits back and really evaluate, he'll see that Speilman is a valuable talent evaluator, whether he keeps him or not is anyone's call, but Spielman is a good talent man to have in this organizaion...that you need to believe.>>

Nick knows enough football people to get a read on Spielman's abilities. As for his talent evaluation skills - from what I read he is organized - is that a positive enough spin? It's easy to have critique after the fact but that's all we have for now. He has done a sad job IMO. I agree they have some weapons on offense BUT it all starts up front and Miami had the worst Oline last year in the entire NFL! A starting DT falls into your lap and you give up an extra 4th to move up 1 spot to take a guy who couldn't crack the lineup of the worst line in the league? Did he really think the Vikes were going to take Carey? Did he think they were going to trade down far? C'mon!! You sit at that spot and IF Carey is taken so what - you take Wilfork. He got used and as a GM his credibility I'm sure took a bad hit after that. As for this year's draft it was all Saban - I'm sure he got some nice neat notebooks for RS though. He's gone no doubt about it - maybe he can keep a job maintaining Saban's stash of Little Debbies - he could organize the reordering of them.

:shakeno: WE DIDN"T need a starting DT at the time of the draft. We had purged our whole OL, we needed OLmen, that's why Spielman did what he did. Think about what Speilman was trying to do. If he had gotten his way, our OL last year would have been (LT)McIntosh, (LG) James, (C) McKinney, (RG)Woody, and (RT) Tait. That's what Speilman was trying to do..and actually the bad play of Wade force him into signing McIntosh. Carey would probably have not been on the team. Most likely he would have picked up Wilford..but Woody and Tait were overpaid somewhere else and Speilman had to go to plan B. NO ONE knows for sure what happen with the buff for Carey, but Spielman ensured he got a OLman, who many on this board throught was a great pick at the time. Speilman did use his resource to get a extra 3rd and Booker for Ogunleye, so that made up on the 4th...and then Ricky...so we spent the extra 3rd, reasonable move. I think by now everyone knew that Surtain wasn't going to be resigned by the end of TC last year. Saban did the same thing I think Speilman was going to do this year, trade Surtain for draft picks..so Saban is only following what Spielman was doing. Now let's reveiw.

Spielman 1st year:'
Change OL...younger and stronger..struggle first 3/4 of year. Showed progress toward the end.
OL additions: D. McIntosh, J. St. Clair, V. Carey, R. Hadnot. Draftees

Signed Howard and drafted Poole..signs that Surtain wasn't going to be resigned.

Brought in replacement for Jay, just about everyone on this board wanted Jay gone, and a lot of ppl supported AJ from the get..so stop your crying and give the man a chance, heaven knows Wanny didn't, he set him up for failure and all AJ did was perservere and play strong at the end of the season.

Brought in L. Gordon, a good back from St. Louis.

Brought in Boston...who was looking great in TC before the injury.
Traded Ogun for Booker, (replacement for Boston), and a 3rd pick...make up for 4th given for Carey. traded to ST. L. for Gordon..all because of Ricky.

Our young OL.. Wade\Mcintosh, James, Mckinney, Whitney, Carey..ended up as McIntosh, James, Mckinney, Hadnot, St. Clair...our best of last year.

RB\FB added: Sammy Morris, Martin, L. Gordon.

Our receiving Corps: Chambers, Thompson, Booker, and Newson--before he got hurt. Man injuries put stress on the 1st year GM. And added Gilmore later.

Our D had the most reliable LB'ing Corps we've seen in a while..thx to Pope, Bua, more of his draftees, Moore, Abaneye?..., and Corey as Backups.

Our Secondary added (/FA signee)Howard, and 4th round draftee Poole, ended up as one of the top ranked.

Added to ST: (FA)Welker: KR, PR, FG's.. moves like this show his eye for talent.

--Edit--
Forgot to add: Pape was the only draftee not to make the 53 man squad, but he's kicking butt in NFLE this year and still apart of the phins.

Speilman would have given Wanny the tools for success, and can still do that for Saban..again Saban may choose to bring in his own because he is new, but it's not necessary, all he has to do is tell Speilman what he likes, and I think Speilman brings in the best of those type players available to include hidden jews..just my opinion.

MDFINFAN said:
:shakeno: WE DIDN"T need a starting DT at the time of the draft. We had purged our whole OL, we needed OLmen, that's why Spielman did what he did. Think about what Speilman was trying to do. If he had gotten his way, our OL last year would have been (LT)McIntosh, (LG) James, (C) McKinney, (RG)Woody, and (RT) Tait. That's what Speilman was trying to do..and actually the bad play of Wade force him into signing McIntosh. Carey would probably have not been on the team. Most likely he would have picked up Wilford..but Woody and Tait were overpaid somewhere else and Speilman had to go to plan B. NO ONE knows for sure what happen with the buff for Carey, but Spielman ensured he got a OLman, who many on this board throught was a great pick at the time. Speilman did use his resource to get a extra 3rd and Booker for Ogunleye, so that made up on the 4th...and then Ricky...so we spent the extra 3rd, reasonable move. I think by now everyone knew that Surtain wasn't going to be resigned by the end of TC last year. Saban did the same thing I think Speilman was going to do this year, trade Surtain for draft picks..so Saban is only following what Spielman was doing. Now let's reveiw.

Spielman 1st year:'
Change OL...younger and stronger..struggle first 3/4 of year. Showed progress toward the end.
OL additions: D. McIntosh, J. St. Clair, V. Carey, R. Hadnot. Draftees

Signed Howard and drafted Poole..signs that Surtain wasn't going to be resigned.

Brought in replacement for Jay, just about everyone on this board wanted Jay gone, and a lot of ppl supported AJ from the get..so stop your crying and give the man a chance, heaven knows Wanny didn't, he set him up for failure and all AJ did was perservere and play strong at the end of the season.

Brought in L. Gordon, a good back from St. Louis.

Brought in Boston...who was looking great in TC before the injury.
Traded Ogun for Booker, (replacement for Boston), and a 3rd pick...make up for 4th given for Carey. traded to ST. L. for Gordon..all because of Ricky.

Our young OL.. Wade\Mcintosh, James, Mckinney, Whitney, Carey..ended up as McIntosh, James, Mckinney, Hadnot, St. Clair...our best of last year.

RB\FB added: Sammy Morris, Martin, L. Gordon.

Our receiving Corps: Chambers, Thompson, Booker, and Newson--before he got hurt. Man injuries put stress on the 1st year GM. And added Gilmore later.

Our D had the most reliable LB'ing Corps we've seen in a while..thx to Pope, Bua, more of his draftees, Moore, Abaneye?..., and Corey as Backups.

Our Secondary added (/FA signee)Howard, and 4th round draftee Poole, ended up as one of the top ranked.

Added to ST: (FA)Welker: KR, PR, FG's.. moves like this show his eye for talent.

Speilman would have given Wanny the tools for success, and can still do that for Saban..again Saban may choose to bring in his own because he is new, but it's not necessary, all he has to do is tell Speilman what he likes, and I think Speilman brings in the best of those type players available to include hidden jews..just my opinion.

This is one of the most articulated and well spoken posts I've read on this subject. I personally thank you for the time invested to make this argument.

Unfortunately, you'll probably be flamed by less informative and constructive posts which will degrade the overall integrity of the thread, but I applaud your effort. It's nice to see a fellow fan who tries to understand the real story behind the story.

If the facts are analyzed in a true historical perspective, most posters on this site would have to agree they embraced Feeley when he was acquired. And, those that honestly did not agree with the acquisition, they will fail to reflect on the QB alternatives available to Spielman at the time the trade occured. While stating "this" player or "that" player was available, they'll not elude to "that" player's performance on his eventual new team. They hope you ignore his eventual performance and merely allow the mentioning of his name to justify the argument. Nor, will they state how they would have felt today in the aftermath of "that" player's eventual performance given the price in salary and trade paid for "that" player. Instead, they'll imply the price paid for Feeley was outrageous. Incorrectly implying "that" player could have been acquired for the SAME price.

Exactly how would Mark Brunell's $49M contract be digesting with those of you now... who wanted him then?

I might add, Brian Griese (a player we CUT) had a better year than ANY of the QBs ever discussed as being better alternatives than Feeley. And, if you bring up OLine quality as a factor of Griese's success to defend his "bloated" stats.... I think you've already proved my point for me.

And, I also remember the fanfare Spielman received for acquiring Boston. But, as with Gordon, Spielman should have known about the PREDICTABLE injuries both would endure.

There's too many misinformed opinions about Spielman and not enough intelligent ones being posted.

I for one... enjoyed your post.

NathanHunt said:
This is one of the most articulated and well spoken posts I've read on this subject. I personally thank you for the time invested to make this argument.

Unfortunately, you'll probably be flamed by less informative and constructive posts which will degrade the overall integrity of the thread, but I applaud your effort. It's nice to see a fellow fan who tries to understand the real story behind the story.

If the facts are analyzed in a true historical perspective, most posters on this site would have to agree they embraced Feeley when he was acquired. And, those that honestly did not agree with the acquisition, they will fail to reflect on the QB alternatives available to Spielman at the time the trade occured. While stating "this" player or "that" player was available, they'll not elude to "that" player's performance on his eventual new team. They hope you ignore his eventual performance and merely allow the mentioning of his name to justify the argument. Nor, will they state how they would have felt today in the aftermath of "that" player's eventual performance given the price in salary and trade paid for "that" player. Instead, they'll imply the price paid for Feeley was outrageous. Incorrectly implying "that" player could have been acquired for the SAME price.

Exactly how would Mark Brunell's $49M contract be digesting with those of you now... who wanted him then?

I might add, Brian Griese (a player we CUT) had a better year than ANY of the QBs ever discussed as being better alternatives than Feeley. And, if you bring up OLine quality as a factor of Griese's success to defend his "bloated" stats.... I think you've already proved my point for me.

And, I also remember the fanfare Spielman received for acquiring Boston. But, as with Gordon, Spielman should have known about the PREDICTABLE injuries both would endure.

There's too many misinformed opinions about Spielman and not enough intelligent ones being posted.

I for one... enjoyed your post.

i enjoyed it too. Its always good to see proof and common sense aside from knee jerks. Its so easy to say what is what isnt when you dont have the big picture. When your shown the big picture, your just a pollyanna or apologist.

MDFINFAN said:
I think Speilman brings in the best of those type players available to include hidden jews.

I heard Spielman does like to scout at the local synagogues. :tongue:

Seriously though, great post! :up:

Are you kidding me?? Spielman’s plan for his Oline was (LT)McIntosh, (LG) James, (C) McKinney, (RG)Woody, and (RT) Tait. Are you playing Madden? With what money was he going to sign those guys? Ifhe had half the brain of a good GM he would have known the ball park price range of those guys and not even wasted any time. That’s fantasy football there!

I like Carey a lot and I think he will be a good lineman if given the chance BUT good teams take the best players available and Wilfork was the best guy on the board IMO given that it cost Miami a 4th to move up ONE spot. Did NE need a DT? – NO but they took him because he fell into their lap. They wanted an Olineman too. Guess what – they saved a 4th and now have a starting plug in their line. The Vikes used Spielman for a 4th – I mean USED him.

Also, the extra 3rd for Ogun does not cancel out the 4th he wasted on moving up ONE spot. That was the value for Ogun period. How does that cancel out a mistake he made during the draft to move up ONE spot? And that 3rd rd pick he got? Seems like it went to good use since we may have 2 RB’s ahead of LG on the depth chart.

I like how you talk about how good his drafted LB’s have been. First off – Bua at LB helped solidify them?? Other than Pope none may make the team. Jenkins, OB, Bua now a safety, Moore – not even his pick. Should we list the LB’s he has picked in prior years that have been cut?

Other than Poole who is still a ? he has done zip in the secondary at DB. Journeyman pickups.

My problem with him is you up front in the trenches and what has he done on the O and D lines?? What? Not much in 5 years. QB? What?? I hope AJ pans out but the reason we are all high on him is because we just lived with Jay for how long? Can’t get worse!

Spielman will be a scout by season opener at best. People say trust in Saban well guess what – he has been interviewing for a while for a reason.

:evil:

Rich22 said:
Are you kidding me?? Spielman’s plan for his Oline was (LT)McIntosh, (LG) James, (C) McKinney, (RG)Woody, and (RT) Tait. Are you playing Madden? With what money was he going to sign those guys? Ifhe had half the brain of a good GM he would have known the ball park price range of those guys and not even wasted any time. That’s fantasy football there!

Actually, he DID know the ball park. In fact, he was willing to buy the ball park. 2 years in a row Miami MATCHED the highest $$$ offered to 2 targeted OLineman and the PLAYER chose another team. In '03 Kreutz (C) and '04 Tait (T) both chose Chicago over Miami. In '04 Woody (G/C) was targeted but cancelled his visit when Detroit made an offer he felt he couldn't refuse. Miami never got a chance.

It's not fantasy football. Spielman was committed to getting the BEST AVAILABLE lineman for the Phinz. He made all the right offers, the players simply liked the other organizations better. Maybe that give you a little insight into what "outsiders" saw within the Phinz organization. And, if you understand that statement, you might have a better appreciation of exactly WHAT Spielman was up against with Wanny as the coach.

Rich22 said:
I like Carey a lot and I think he will be a good lineman if given the chance BUT good teams take the best players available and Wilfork was the best guy on the board IMO given that it cost Miami a 4th to move up ONE spot. Did NE need a DT? – NO but they took him because he fell into their lap. They wanted an Olineman too. Guess what – they saved a 4th and now have a starting plug in their line. The Vikes used Spielman for a 4th – I mean USED him.

Having missed out on Tait and Woody, the draft was approaching and the available talent left in the FA market was not enough. There were only a few OL quality prospects in the draft after Robert Gallery was taken. Miami NEEDED OL. Spielman gauranteed Miami got "their guy" by trading the 4th.

In a perfect world, did he overpay... not really. In a perfect world, did he get snookered by Minnesota? Possibly. BUT, what if he had not traded the 4th? Minnesota and New England both had Carey on their boards. What happens if he doesn't trade and Carey gets drafted by someone else?

Oh, that's right, you would have drafted Wilfork. You would have drafted into a position that, at the time, had 2 healthy starters and solid backup rotations behind them? You foresaw the injury meltdown about to occur at DT? Meanwhile, you'll leave a glaring HOLE in your OLine with no YOUNG star to groom?

BPA is a draft strategy afforded to teams who need "1 player" to put them over the top or have NO glaring needs. NE had just won the SB 2 of the last 3 years. Having acquired Corey Dillon, they had no glaring needs. They had the luxury of BPA. WE DID NOT.

The REASONABLE popular consensus on the board was Miami drafting Carey. The fans got what they wanted. A local product (UM) in a need position.... seemed to fit. However, Carey had questionable learning skills. Coupled with inadequate line coaches, constant position shifting and complete team turmoil, it goes without saying Carey did not have a conducive environment for success.

And, finally, you can't REBUILD 2 lines in one year. Spielman was putting out as many fires as he could with the limited resources available to him. It was his FIRST year as GM, not 5th.

Rich22 said:
Also, the extra 3rd for Ogun does not cancel out the 4th he wasted on moving up ONE spot. That was the value for Ogun period. How does that cancel out a mistake he made during the draft to move up ONE spot? And that 3rd rd pick he got? Seems like it went to good use since we may have 2 RB’s ahead of LG on the depth chart.

Brown was drafted THIS YEAR. Ricky RETIRED before Gordon was acquired. Good analysis of the RB situation using this year's roster on last year's team.

Rich22 said:
I like how you talk about how good his drafted LB’s have been. First off – Bua at LB helped solidify them?? Other than Pope none may make the team. Jenkins, OB, Bua now a safety, Moore – not even his pick. Should we list the LB’s he has picked in prior years that have been cut?

YES, let's list ALL of the LB's he's picked as GM in his previous ZERO years as GM. Done yet? It is ZERO. Again, 1 year... MANY HOLES... he's only 1 man catching up on YEARS and YEARS of BAD drafts. He fielded the most productive Dolphin draft in nearly 10 years. Not bad for his FIRST year's draft.

Could have done better, you say? I don't recall other GMs beating our door down to ask for the job. He did a job NO ONE wanted to do in a time NO ONE wanted to be associated with Miami and did an excellent job with the resources he had.

Rich22 said:
Other than Poole who is still a ? he has done zip in the secondary at DB. Journeyman pickups.

I recall Poole getting raves for his performances last year. Too bad that pesky injury bug bit him. Or is that Spielman's fault too? Howard is 2 years removed from being a starter on the NFC Championship team. He was behind Surtain and Madison on the depth chart.... when did you expect him to be on the field? And, we acquired him at a decent price in a year in which CBs were breaking the bank. Great pickup.

Rich22 said:
My problem with him is you up front in the trenches and what has he done on the O and D lines?? What? Not much in 5 years. QB? What?? I hope AJ pans out but the reason we are all high on him is because we just lived with Jay for how long? Can’t get worse!

Actually, considering Jay did not have Ricky for most of his victories... and watching last year's shame.... I'd say Jay did a pretty darn good job with LITTLE help from the skill positions. He had a young McMichael and Chambers, Gadsden and L. Smith. I thank Jay for the victories, he did a lot with little to work with.

Again, 5 years? He's only been making personnel calls for ONE. That's 1.
Wanny made all the calls before then. Otherwise, Anquan Boldin would have been playing opposite of Chambers. Among other choices I might add.

Rich22 said:
Spielman will be a scout by season opener at best. People say trust in Saban well guess what – he has been interviewing for a while for a reason.

:evil:

Yes, he has been interviewing for a while..... that should tell YOU something. Not only does he want to find someone he likes.. he has to find someone better than what he HAS. There are REASONS why Spielman is still here. And one of them is NOT because the Dolphins enjoy paying GM level salaries to any ole body off the street.

Spielman is earning his salary or he wouldn't be working. It's as simple as that.

"and imagine before last season if we didn't bring in ANY QB and had to stick with fiedler regardless"

Yea and we would have won what 3 games instead of 4? If Philly doesnt want to trade Feeley for a 3rd you simply dont do the trade. Period. The Carey trade was so stupid it still pisses me off to think about. What moron gives up a 4th round pick to move up one spot to take a decent talent, not a sure thing in Carey? Another bluff you have to call as a GM. THe Booker trade wasnt that bad, but wasting the 3rd on Gordon was a complete panic move. Gordon is nothing but a backup/3rd Rb we could have found a guy like that on waivers or late in the draft. Speilman has no savy he was completely out of his league and he showed this last year. Thankfully he's had his power taken from him, he's a terrible GM. He should be a scout which is basically what he is.

Response

Rich22 said:

Rich22, I don't know if you keep up with phin football or just pulling my leg--but you need to go back to March 04 when free agency started...we released our whole OL except for Wade Smith and Todd Wade. You should know what Houston paid for T. Wade..no way he's worth that type money.

Check my facts and notice the date (Notice who the reporters asked about-Woody and tait..(both we were involved in trying to get)

Breaking news

Again, there's no link or news report or hidden video you can show to prove Speilman was taken..water under the dam..NE was in a position to take the best player available, as you can see they also signed FA Traylor, Wilford didn't start. We on the other hand, didn't have bodies on the OL, and needed a starter..thus the 4th for Carey. It didn't turn out like we wanted, but there was defintely was a need.

If we didn't have to use that 3rd, it would have taken the place of the 4th..so he in fact made up for the 4th. :shakeno: On top of that he also got a 1st string, #1 WR as a part of the trade..a guy who consistently was a top WR by trading a guy who only had 2 years and 1 good year as a starting DE, playing opposite of one of the best DE's in the league. Hell, even Bowens had 5 1/2 - 7 sacks, (depending on what report you read) playing opposite JT, in his first full season as a starter. As far as how the RB fared LG got hurt and we took no chances and picked up RB..who knew Ricky would be back in the picture. :rolleyes:

:confused: Other than Bua and Pope, what other LB's did he draft???
Jenkins I think is one of his finding hidden gems, Moore was a Wanny pick, didn't say he was Spielman's. Just stating his picks plus these help solidify the LB positon. Now since last year was his first as GM of the phins, please do go back and find his other drafted LB's who didn't make the team. I'd like to know who they were.

Poole by all accounts allowed us to trade Surtain..I don't think he was as much of a ? as you make out. He was probably going to start. Howard only played for Carolina, journey man??? It was only his first year as GM, how many moves did you want him to make in the secondary...He brought in C. Atkins, another gem in Y. Bell, already had roundtree and banks as young prospect CB's, plus Madison, Surtain, Knight, and Freeman. What else did he need at the time?????

5 years, he was only GM for 1..and he changed the whole OL..didnt get to address DL in year 1. As you stated earlier there is a salary cap... :wink: There's no place but up for AJ after last year..

Spielman will be a scout by season opener at best. People say trust in Saban well guess what – he has been interviewing for a while for a reason.:evil:

You could very well be right about this, but I hope he's a scout for us. :lol: Saban like most other people is probably paranoid about anyone he's not had a relationship with and is entitled to bring in his own man for the job..I just wish, personally he wouldn't and retain someone who seems to have a eye for talent, i.e., Spielman, again this is just my opinion..

NathanHunt said:
Actually, he DID know the ball park. In fact, he was willing to buy the ball park. 2 years in a row Miami MATCHED the highest $$$ offered to 2 targeted OLineman and the PLAYER chose another team. In '03 Kreutz (C) and '04 Tait (T) both chose Chicago over Miami. In '04 Woody (G/C) was targeted but cancelled his visit when Detroit made an offer he felt he couldn't refuse. Miami never got a chance.

It's not fantasy football. Spielman was committed to getting the BEST AVAILABLE lineman for the Phinz. He made all the right offers, the players simply liked the other organizations better. Maybe that give you a little insight into what "outsiders" saw within the Phinz organization. And, if you understand that statement, you might have a better appreciation of exactly WHAT Spielman was up against with Wanny as the coach.

Having missed out on Tait and Woody, the draft was approaching and the available talent left in the FA market was not enough. There were only a few OL quality prospects in the draft after Robert Gallery was taken. Miami NEEDED OL. Spielman gauranteed Miami got "their guy" by trading the 4th.

In a perfect world, did he overpay... not really. In a perfect world, did he get snookered by Minnesota? Possibly. BUT, what if he had not traded the 4th? Minnesota and New England both had Carey on their boards. What happens if he doesn't trade and Carey gets drafted by someone else?

Oh, that's right, you would have drafted Wilfork. You would have drafted into a position that, at the time, had 2 healthy starters and solid backup rotations behind them? You foresaw the injury meltdown about to occur at DT? Meanwhile, you'll leave a glaring HOLE in your OLine with no YOUNG star to groom?

BPA is a draft strategy afforded to teams who need "1 player" to put them over the top or have NO glaring needs. NE had just won the SB 2 of the last 3 years. Having acquired Corey Dillon, they had no glaring needs. They had the luxury of BPA. WE DID NOT.

The REASONABLE popular consensus on the board was Miami drafting Carey. The fans got what they wanted. A local product (UM) in a need position.... seemed to fit. However, Carey had questionable learning skills. Coupled with inadequate line coaches, constant position shifting and complete team turmoil, it goes without saying Carey did not have a conducive environment for success.

And, finally, you can't REBUILD 2 lines in one year. Spielman was putting out as many fires as he could with the limited resources available to him. It was his FIRST year as GM, not 5th.

Brown was drafted THIS YEAR. Ricky RETIRED before Gordon was acquired. Good analysis of the RB situation using this year's roster on last year's team.

YES, let's list ALL of the LB's he's picked as GM in his previous ZERO years as GM. Done yet? It is ZERO. Again, 1 year... MANY HOLES... he's only 1 man catching up on YEARS and YEARS of BAD drafts. He fielded the most productive Dolphin draft in nearly 10 years. Not bad for his FIRST year's draft.

Could have done better, you say? I don't recall other GMs beating our door down to ask for the job. He did a job NO ONE wanted to do in a time NO ONE wanted to be associated with Miami and did an excellent job with the resources he had.

I recall Poole getting raves for his performances last year. Too bad that pesky injury bug bit him. Or is that Spielman's fault too? Howard is 2 years removed from being a starter on the NFC Championship team. He was behind Surtain and Madison on the depth chart.... when did you expect him to be on the field? And, we acquired him at a decent price in a year in which CBs were breaking the bank. Great pickup.

Actually, considering Jay did not have Ricky for most of his victories... and watching last year's shame.... I'd say Jay did a pretty darn good job with LITTLE help from the skill positions. He had a young McMichael and Chambers, Gadsden and L. Smith. I thank Jay for the victories, he did a lot with little to work with.

Again, 5 years? He's only been making personnel calls for ONE. That's 1.
Wanny made all the calls before then. Otherwise, Anquan Boldin would have been playing opposite of Chambers. Among other choices I might add.

Yes, he has been interviewing for a while..... that should tell YOU something. Not only does he want to find someone he likes.. he has to find someone better than what he HAS. There are REASONS why Spielman is still here. And one of them is NOT because the Dolphins enjoy paying GM level salaries to any ole body off the street.

Spielman is earning his salary or he wouldn't be working. It's as simple as that.

Opps, I should have kept reading the threat after Rich22 responded to me..good points..

BlueFin said:
Ok, I'll give him credit for writing a good contract (if he really had anything to do with the language), if you'll admit that having two young first rounders here right now would have been more value to this franchise than what Ricky has been?
Hindsight may be 20/20, but it is also the ultimate judge of how good a trade was.......Ricky was a known flake with red flags all over him, two first rounders was a stiff price to pay for this organization.

Sorry, but I have to take issue with that statement for two reasons:

1. That trade was a Wannstedt trade from start to finish.. Speilman had his say but Wanny's fingerprints were all over it.

2. For every year during Wanny's tenure ithere was always a "Win it All Now" mentality. After every year of 10-6, 11-5 it was always "We're just one or two players away" It was never "build for the future", it was lets emulate the Baltimore Ravens.

I think Speilman gets a bum rap because of Wanny.
Yeah, some of the moves he made last year were questionable and maybe stupid BUT the moves were made out of DESPERATION. Why was there desperation last year? Because Dave Wannstedt was on the hot seat. The main thing with Speilman is that, IMO, he had to get out of Wanny's shadow. Well, he's out of it now and if Saban doesn't keep Rick around then some other Owner will (as a personnel director or scout) and I firmly believe that he will succeed there outside of the shadow of Wannstedt. Also if any of you think the decisions last year didn't have Wannstedts finger prints all over them then you are sorely mistaken. Speilman may have had the title of GM but the power was never truley there.

FiN.in.RI said:
Sorry, but I have to take issue with that statement for two reasons:

1. That trade was a Wannstedt trade from start to finish.. Speilman had his say but Wanny's fingerprints were all over it.

2. For every year during Wanny's tenure ithere was always a "Win it All Now" mentality. After every year of 10-6, 11-5 it was always "We're just one or two players away" It was never "build for the future", it was lets emulate the Baltimore Ravens.

I think Speilman gets a bum rap because of Wanny.
Yeah, some of the moves he made last year were questionable and maybe stupid BUT the moves were made out of DESPERATION. Why was there desperation last year? Because Dave Wannstedt was on the hot seat. The main thing with Speilman is that, IMO, he had to get out of Wanny's shadow. Well, he's out of it now and if Saban doesn't keep Rick around then some other Owner will (as a personnel director or scout) and I firmly believe that he will succeed there outside of the shadow of Wannstedt. Also if any of you think the decisions last year didn't have Wannstedts finger prints all over them then you are sorely mistaken. Speilman may have had the title of GM but the power was never truley there.

The Ricky trade was all Wannestadt, I agree there. The other moves that resulted in a 4-12 disaster had a lot to do with Speilman. You really think Wannestadt wanted Feeley that bad? He didnt want to play the guy, he was with Fiedler all the way. The panic moves were also for Speilman's benefit, he knew that if the Phins failed Wannestadt would be gone and his GM spot would be short-lived. He made a lot of those moves last offseason theres no doubt about it. I wish the guy the best--elsewhere. I really dont think anyone is going to hire him as a GM, I think youre wrong about that.

Back
Top Bottom