Sports Buzz: Dolphins want a vertical offense and notes on Misi, 4-3 MLB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Buzz: Dolphins want a vertical offense and notes on Misi, 4-3 MLB's

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said coach Joe Philbin wants an offense that will “go vertical, get the ball out quickly, spread it around to a lot of different players.” But Miami must adjust if Peyton Manning signs, because as Brian Billick said, “Why would you bring him in and not do what he does best?” But a Manning associate said he believes Manning would be receptive to blending in some of Philbin’s and Mike Sherman’s elements.

The Dolphins have told at least four people they want to play a 4-3 defense primarily, with some 3-4, and would be comfortable Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett or Koa Misi manning the middle. Ireland has raved about the potential of Dansby in that role, but Misi has good instincts for the spot, too.

Among the half dozen players linked to the Dolphins with the No. 8 pick, South Carolina linebacker/end Melvin Ingram helped himself at the NFL Combine and Alabama linebacker Courtney Upshaw hurt himself, with lack of explosiveness. But Ireland said he had his draft board set before the Combine “because they’re not playing football. They’re just running around in shorts.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Nothing new here. ...
If Peyton sign, we adjust to him.
We will run the hybrid 3/4 - 4/3.
This draft has a poor crop of pass rushing DE's/OLB's this year.

nice to at least know that irelands board doesnt change a whole lot due to the combine.

reading that just off hand, it makes you think you can definately dismiss kuechly as a potential pick, unless of course its the smokescreen type stuff... lol

more and more everyday I just get more confused with what direction we are going to go in the draft whether it be a defensive LB, rusher or otherwise, or a offensive lineman, or offensive playmaker... maybe I should give ireland kudos for that... or i just overanalyze perhaps.

nice to at least know that irelands board doesnt change a whole lot due to the combine.

reading that just off hand, it makes you think you can definately dismiss kuechly as a potential pick, unless of course its the smokescreen type stuff... lol

more and more everyday I just get more confused with what direction we are going to go in the draft whether it be a defensive LB, rusher or otherwise, or a offensive lineman, or offensive playmaker... maybe I should give ireland kudos for that... or i just overanalyze perhaps.

I agree about the smokescreen. Not much is being discussed about Keuchly. I can see a scenario where we would take him. Nowadays, the staff deliberately send out misinformation and mixed signals on purpose. I think Ireland want to improve the defense, and Keuchly makes sense at #8.
I would prefer an offensive play maker, but me thinks the pick will be defense.

I agree about Kuechly, If you don't draft him @ 8 there better be a better reason than Koa Misi.

I see us drafting two DE types where one becomes OLB. Two by two method again.

I agree about Kuechly, If you don't draft him @ 8 there better be a better reason than Koa Misi.

I think its comical that people so readily dismiss Misi because he's not an edge rusher. Guess what?, neither is Kuechly or Ray Lewis.
Fact is, none of use know if Misi can be effective as a MLB. Only the coaches who breakdown his film, pick his brain and watch him in practice can truly make that projection.
What we do know is that he was a versatile player in college who played DE and OLB. For the Phins he was effective in setting the edge, playing the run, dropping into coverage and playing with a high motor. So, in that respect he's a good NFL player. Its ridiculous for anyone to call him a bust.
The Steelers had success converting Timmons to an ILB, so why can't Misi play the position? From everything I've read about him, he's a hard worker, plays physically and smart.
Reading some of the posts regarding Misi (on several threads), if the guy can't be a dominant outside pass rusher, he's automatically a failure. There is much more to playing defense than just collecting sacks.

I'm not a huge booster of Manning coming here (due to concerns about his health), but if you bring in Peyton Manning, you bring in Peyton Manning. You implement a system he's comfortable with from day one. I think that's a no-brainer.

If we are set at Qb before the draft, it will be OL LB/DE and FS all along. Philbin likes Clay a whole lot, Fasano is still here, I see us getting a speedster who can actually get separation.

its not that misi doesnt collect a ton of sacks, it's just that he seems to just be a body out there. rarely did I ever see him even get penetration let alone a sack. I just never see him contribute much. I like keuchly a lot better than misi... to each his own.

The non-offseason hurt alot of players on this team. Misi I believe is one of them. Misi is decent in coverage, been a disappointment rushing the passer and setting the edge. I think he needs some inspiration and maybe the new DC brings that out.

The guy who came over from NO was good I thought. good depth in the middle if Misi inside is truth.

Ireland every year has filled weakest spot on depth chart with 1st round pick, with the intention for him to start right away. Whatever we do in FA will determine IMO who we draft. Im 90% he will go offense. IMO we are looking at Reilly Reiff/DeCastro. Not saying my choice, but 1 of them 2, if not both will be available at #8 and would start immediately.

I would go DeCastro. Incognito is a far better RG than LG. Carey was a very good RT who was worse at RG. We would instantly improve the line and potentially have the best left side in football. Long -DeCastro-Pouncey-Incognito-Carey sounds superb.

Ireland every year has filled weakest spot on depth chart with 1st round pick, with the intention for him to start right away. Whatever we do in FA will determine IMO who we draft. Im 90% he will go offense. IMO we are looking at Reilly Reiff/DeCastro. Not saying my choice 1 of them 2 will be available at #8 and would start immediately.

I would go DeCastro. Incognito is a far better RG than LG. Carey was a very good RT who was worse at RG. We would instantly improve the line and potentially have the best left side in football. Long -DeCastro-Pouncey-Incognito-Carey sounds superb.

This is a good point particularly with Ireland having his board set prior to combine. Alot depends on Manning and Flynn IMO. Cus if they dont happen, things change. Tannehill, RG3 ect.

Back
Top Bottom