Stay the course... keep our picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stay the course... keep our picks

I think that Sewell makes sense; but there are other tackles that can be had after a trade down. The one from VA TECH, Northwestern, and Notre Dame could all be had between probably 6 and our pick at 18. The three pick is GOLD. You trade that pick for more assets; but FIRST identify the guys you view as your "must have" guys....let's say Chase, Smith, Waddle, Pitts, Sewell, Parsons maybe. Just off the top of my head, and YMMV. You don't trade down past the point of taking one of them.
If no trade materializes, which is possible, then you re-think- but obviously there will be their target at 3 if they don't get the trade. We may not get a Top 3 pick again, for years. Maximize it.
If they think that Davonte Smith is a must have, and can't afford to lose him, (or whoever) then take him.
Jimmy Johnson has said that Yes, it's important to trade down and acquire future assets. But if there is a player that you love, you prioritize that player over the trade down.
So there are so many ways to look at this. Personally, I am thinking 1)trade down just far enough to snag one of the top targets 2)no trade down- for me, it's Smith. He's too good. 3)At 18 maybe Eichenberg from Notre Dame, or the VA Tech tackle, if he's still there. Or even trade down from 18 a little. Or Zaven Collins if there is a round 2 tackle they like.
Again- picking Sewell or another tackle involves a shuffle of the line, not that that is a bad thing- which means moving Hunt to guard.
Also, we aren't rebuilding the ENTIRE WR corps in one year. You build progressively. Or they will all become FA at the same time. You gauge as you go what kind of WR's you need once you see how they play. So, Davonte Parker, Davonta Smith, the WR from Kentucky we traded for(I'm blanking) you got three. PRobably a free agent but Robinson will cost major $$$. Then Preston Williams, Grant. I would also look at that Arkansas State WR- he is a huge, beast, in a mid-/late round.

Houston will not accept Tua in trade so its all a moot point.
Last draft was less than successful GM has to do much better
job this time around.

Houston doesn't have the leverage here. They can come to an agreement on a trade with a team like the Jets only to have it nixed by Watson. Whoever trades for him is going to get a deal, imo

I know many of you have been like me lately and weighing whether making a play on Watson would be in our best interest. Yes the guy is a stud and top 7 QB in the league. Yes he’s in his prime and would immediately make us better. But how much? I mean he took a team with quite frankly better offensive weapons to a dismal season and a top 3 pick in the draft.. thank you!

I say this bc it shows yes it’s a QB driven league but these QBs need help. They need weapons around them!

josh Allen was a bottom dweller just 1 year ago. What changed? Look at the weapons. The addition of Diggs and Beasley as well as some superb play from the other WRs on that team. The bills knew he had the talent but needed help. They went out and signed Diggs and Brown as well as Beasley and revamped the entire receiving core.

This is what we need to do. We need an entire revamp. The ONLY WR worth keeping on this team IMO is Grant and only for his return ability. We need 3 new WRs. We need a RB. Tua needs help and with the draft assets we have and financial flexibility we can do this and do it right.

The other option is sell the farm for Watson and what do we have to help him? Gesicki which is above average at best? Parker who can’t get separation and has become nothing more then a possession WR? This move would improve our QB position greatly but everything else would suffer. Me? I’d rather keep Tua who has shown flashes and has had a better rookie season then a lot of the greats including Peyton Manning.

Tua, Devonte Smith, either a Smith Schuster/Godwin/Robinson, and Najee looks a lot better then

Watson, and what we have. Can we rent a decent WR or RB for the year? Sure but after this year Watsons numbers are so high there would be little for other holes.
I agree with you. However the Watson rooters would say that he put up top tier #s with no one to throw to there so he could do that with no-one to throw to here. I don't buy that. Talent needs talent. Sure, you can make a chicken salad out of Chicken beaks but why go through that if you can get the real meat? Hou also had one of the worst running games in the league which we also currently have. So, does our D get him maybe 6 more wins and burning both first and second rounders plus Tua to get him then gets him to where he's on a 9 win team with little roster additions? Maybe. Go back and ask Marino what he would have given for Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. I'm pretty sure the answer would be anything.

Tua didn't finish great over the last few games. If he had, there would be lots less conversation about Watson. But, the reason for Tua's (a rookie for those who forget) lesser performance wasn't entirely his own. We know the list. Injuries to WR corps, CG not doing him any favors with play calling, 3 rookies on OL, and a patchy dismal running game.

Here's the big question that no-one has an answer to. Will Tua improve tremendously if given weapons like Smith, Harris and Toney? If you don't like my names swap in Waddle, Williams or even Pitts. Hell, throw in Jones in FA or Robinson. We're not in this thread here to argue over who we add just that if we stay on the Tua train, does he make the expected second year jump if we load up on offensive weapons? Clearly we feel with him being such an early pick and doing what he did in college that we want to see a monster second year like Action Jackson and Mahomes had. That's the expectation when you draft Tua.

Do I think Watson is even getable? Dubious at best. HOU knows they are in the toilet if he wants out. They are trying to appease him by getting Bienimy who Watson wanted. Will they get him and appease him? Who knows? If they don't he would have to force a trade and continue to deem MIA as his landing spot. But hold on valued readers, that's not all. At that point, MIA would have to decide that they do want him and then setup a trade in terms of what his value is Tua and draft pick wise(or maybe Tua isn't in that trade). Miami is good with the Tua plan so we have a win win scenario.

I agree with OP, stick with your picks and come out with a stud WR and RB. Fill the gaps in 2nd round w 2 of 3 Oline/LB/DT.
My only adjustment I would make is if K.Pitts is available at pick 12/13 I would trade up to get him (18, 50 and 2022 mid round pick). Coming out of this draft with D.Smith, K.Pitts and one of N.Harris/T.Etienne/J.Williams would be an amazing day. We would be doing everything Tua needs to be successful.

Yes, Josh Allen got an alpha receiver...but Josh Allen also developed his immense physical talent and his accuracy.

Tua does not possess his type of raw physical skills...Herbert does.

Hopefully, Tua develops what he is, and displays the accuracy, anticipation and quick decision making to become successful in this league.

If he doesn’t....and we missed again, we also missed a chance at utilizing another Opportunity at an elite QB pick at #3 .

The Watson decision simply boils down to price...I believe he is elite and better than top 7, more like top 3 or 4.

If you can get him reasonably it is a no brainer!
Reasonably is the key here.
I would like to trade down for more picks.
IMO we need two WRs, 1 RB, 1OL with our top 4 picks. That leaves us without adding to the defense. Two more picks for the defense would be a great top 6.

Houston will not accept Tua in trade so its all a moot point.
Last draft was less than successful GM has to do much better
job this time around.
The last draft was less than sucessful?

6 starting quality players?????

Tua
Jones
Jackson
Kindley
Hunt
Davis

Now, you can whine they aren't all top 10 players, and it's impossible to fairly judge them after one season, with a very limited offseason, but to say it was a bad draft is ludicrous.

Smith is a generational WR and we need to snag him especially if we’re gonna roll with Tua. With that said i believe in Tua, but what successful QB wins without good talent around him. Watson had Hopkins, and Josh has Diggs. This draft is not coming down to us trying to split the atom here, we need very good playmakers and that’s where we’re going.
Do you watch a lot of college football? I don't - how do you feel about his physical ability to survive at the top level? He looks so thin to me! Especially his legs. The idea of a linebacker in the NFL getting at him scares me!

Let's not forget that Tua only had 24 college starts, was injured his senior year, didn't have a training camp or pre-season and didn't receive the majority of 1st teams snaps until the bye week. Give him some time and stop with all of the trade talk.

If Watson is available, Miami needs to explore that.

But would love to see how Tua develops in Miami. The biggest thing he has going for him is decision making. Like it or not, that's where a lot of close games are won or lost. Brady as an example.

Another point on Allen. Watch how much time he has to throw. That's a huge part of why he has improved so dramatically.

What every front office do I am find w it.. my choice
A.. get Watson..
B if not stick w plan..

Back
Top Bottom