Steelers Pick - The Gift That Keeps On Giving | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Steelers Pick - The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Yeah. The trade smells of desperation in the same way as the Texans trade did.
Often coaches are fighting for their jobs and have a win now mentality.

I’ve always maintained that you never make short term decisions that will hamper your long term strategy. The Fins have now adopted that mentality for the first time in 20 years. It’s a good strategy.

If you have the balls to stay the course, then the rewards will be there. It takes courage to make the decisions we have made. And the franchise will be better for it. Say what you will, Grier and Flores have courage and a long term mindset.

I would have done exactly the same thing

Bottom line, Grier has masterfully exploited opportunities -- which he's in the rather unique position to do
based on the program we're executing. But by ALL measures, he's done an outstanding job during this
radical transformation.

As I said before, if the team he's put together crushes these picks -- Grier is a legend!

Pittsburgh forced 4 turnovers in the first 4 drives and got 6 points. Their biggest issue is their coordinators. Keith Butler is an awful DC. THey consistently have really good talent and he still can't call a defense to save his life. And Randy Fichtner is legit just Big Ben's lapdog. Dude is in over his head as a OC
Totally spot on

I think j Miami did best they could with mikah trade but I will never understand why two different staffs didn’t put him at fee safety and let him settle in.

Then move him around later in.

Two staffs? Why?

Most of us posters thought he should be at free safety

Maybe chambers has some insight on that

I read somewhere that the Steelers rated Minkah a top 5 talent in the 2018 Draft. They didn't just like him, they absolutely loved him. They also probably consider that Miami completely messed up his development by making him play so many different roles (was it 4 or 5?), rather than coming in as a rookie and focusing on one position that optimizes his strengths. Alabama Coach Nick Saban is on the record as regarding Minkah as unique in terms of his physical talent and his work effort. I recall reading that over the years he has had many with great physical talent and many with great work ethic but it is extremely rare to coach someone with both.
Obviously we didn't see it in Miami but Pittsburgh probably see him as a great reclamation project who is hungry for success after his terrible experience in Miami.
Believe it or not, they are also probably expecting Big Ben will be back as their starting QB next season.

Okay, Good Luck and Thanks for the pick.

I honestly don't understand Minkah's camp on this.
Yes, The Dolphins are bad now. But on paper draft-wise/$$$ they have an opportunity to get a lot better very quickly.

The Steelers currently have the same records as the Dolphins and will likely, maybe, finish with a few more wins.

But once more, on paper, which team stands to be acending in the next 3 years vs. on the decline?

The Steelers or the Dolphins?

Which side of that equation would a younger player want to align himself?

The Steelers are probably going to have to blow it up themselves in the next couple years, there is a stench in that locker room that’s been brewing for awhile

Yes, The Dolphins are bad now. But on paper draft-wise/$$$ they have an opportunity to get a lot better very quickly.

The Steelers currently have the same records as the Dolphins and will likely, maybe, finish with a few more wins.

But once more, on paper, which team stands to be acending in the next 3 years vs. on the decline?

But you forgot to include Mommy!

I agree. Miami's future looks much brighter. Pitts currently has 2M in cap space, so no rollover money & they currently have 4M in cap space for 2020, with no 1st round pick. Is Tannenbaum working for the Steelers?

That said, I think the way he was being used (6 positions) is the main reason why Minkah wanted out of Miami.

I think it boils down to this: The Steelers have been a contender pretty much regularly since the early 1970s. Our Dolphins haven't been relevant for much of the last 20 years.

The draft picks and the salary cap money are nice to have but meaningless if you don't have people who can make use of them. The Dolphins have fairly regularly drafted higher than the Steelers and spent more in free agency and have less to show for it.

The Steelers move on from great players and thrive. The Dolphins acquire great players and tread water.

Basically, the Steelers track record speaks better than the Dolphins potential to Fitzpatrick and his team. Whether people like that or not, I think that's obviously the case, and it's easy to understand why, even if you hold a different opinion. There's no guarantee or anything remotely close that the Dolphins are ascending, nor that the Steelers are descending -- the Steelers regularly get written off and remain competitive, and Fitzpatrick had no idea who his Dolphins teammates would be in two years or whether or not Grier and Flores are up to building a contender from scratch.

Also, we don't and may never really know what kinds of discussions went on between Minkah and his people and the Dolphins. I am sure both sides will put a spin that puts themselves in the best light, but clearly there was a disconnect there that went far beyond the norm for a player just starting his second year. Perhaps (and likely) fault on both sides.

I agree. Miami's future looks much brighter. Pitts currently has 2M in cap space, so no rollover money & they currently have 4M in cap space for 2020, with no 1st round pick. Is Tannenbaum working for the Steelers?

That said, I think the way he was being used (6 positions) is the main reason why Minkah wanted out of Miami.

I think the main reason he was used in (6 position) is because we had no one else to do it. I'm pretty sure they would have draft/FA more talented players for those roles going forward.
Additionally, I think Minkah would have gotten compensated for playing the good solider and taking on the extra homework.
Finally, I think the experience would have made him a better player overrall.

He didn't "choose" the Steelers. The Dolphins did. That's a chance he took. He may have thought a contender would trade for him.

Bottom line, Grier has masterfully exploited opportunities -- which he's in the rather unique position to do
based on the program we're executing. But by ALL measures, he's done an outstanding job during this
radical transformation.

As I said before, if the team he's put together crushes these picks -- Grier is a legend

Don't lose sight of the fact that Grier is a very big part of the reason why we're here in the first place. I don't trust his ability to identify talent yet.

Back
Top Bottom