Steelers Pick - The Gift That Keeps On Giving | Page 97 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Steelers Pick - The Gift That Keeps On Giving

This is a very good WR class so passing on WR is not a good idea. Also, keep in mind Williams is coming back from major surgery and while Parker was healthy this year, he's been hurt plenty of times before. We don't know what they'll do with Wilson either and points come from the passing game so a WR should be drafted in the first or 2nd round.
IDK Danny, while I don't dismiss your concerns at WR, don't we have bigger concerns elsewhere?

Points do, indeed come quicker from the passing game, but WR isn't the only thing that makes it effective.

You know what really helps you score points? An offensive line that can pass protect, and run the ball effectively. Ours can do neither, and there is no valid argument against a balanced offense being more likely to be successful than one that is not.

As I posted in another thread yesterday, the Ravens, and 49ers, widely considered the best AFC/NFC teams respectively, both actually ran slightly more than passed, and four other playoff teams were within 5% of being balanced.

I guess what I'm saying is yes, many "experts" see this as a WR deep draft, but thats not a reason to spend 1st rd picks to address, presumably, our only solid unit, IMO.

I’d like to get Henry Ruggs with that pick but I seriously doubt he sniffs 18

Yeah, I think he is gone...Hamler is round 2 would be a good day two option...he also offers something in returns.

IDK Danny, while I don't dismiss your concerns at WR, don't we have bigger concerns elsewhere?

Points do, indeed come quicker from the passing game, but WR isn't the only thing that makes it effective.

You know what really helps you score points? An offensive line that can pass protect, and run the ball effectively. Ours can do neither, and there is no valid argument against a balanced offense being more likely to be successful than one that is not.

As I posted in another thread yesterday, the Ravens, and 49ers, widely considered the best AFC/NFC teams respectively, both actually ran slightly more than passed, and four other playoff teams were within 5% of being balanced.

I guess what I'm saying is yes, many "experts" see this as a WR deep draft, but thats not a reason to spend 1st rd picks to address, presumably, our only solid unit, IMO.
While I get your point, you don't pass on great talent just because you think we're ok at that position. If a WR has a chance to be great then I won't pass on him to draft a LB that might be ok. Now something to consider is this.....if we only have the normal amount of picks then you might say lets pass on WR cause we have other needs but we have 5 picks in the first two rounds and I want our offense to be scary and we haven't have that since Marino was here. You win by having play makers on offense make plays for you. That's just the NFL now. We need a WR with top speed that can take a short pass all the way to the house and yes, we need oline but we need to do that with free agency and maybe draft one or two.

It's an interesting conundrum, and a good problem for the Dolphins to have. There is a remarkable amount of WR talent in this draft, but SOMEONE who would be drafted higher in a weak class might well fall to the top of the 2nd. Shenault? Higgins? Jefferson? A team might look at the board in the middle/end of the 1st round, see the amount of WR talent left, and draft for need rather than BPA. If someone like those mentioned above is there at pick 39, you just take him.

While I get your point, you don't pass on great talent just because you think we're ok at that position. If a WR has a chance to be great then I won't pass on him to draft a LB that might be ok. Now something to consider is this.....if we only have the normal amount of picks then you might say lets pass on WR cause we have other needs but we have 5 picks in the first two rounds and I want our offense to be scary and we haven't have that since Marino was here. You win by having play makers on offense make plays for you. That's just the NFL now. We need a WR with top speed that can take a short pass all the way to the house and yes, we need oline but we need to do that with free agency and maybe draft one or two.
But now you are laying out a hypothetical about WR v LB, when I said nothing about defensive players whatsoever. Only a fool would suggest taking a nondescript player over an obvious difference maker, at any position, but those decisions are almost never that black and white.

My second point would be that everyone would love to have the next Marino, but it wasn't wideouts that made those teams great, it was the one in a lifetime QB, in a completely different era.

Dan Marino is not walking though the door, and even if he did, how many championships did we have again?

Let me ask you a hypothetical. If you had a choice between 10 years of wild exciting offense, with no rings, or a more boring, but balanced team, with 2 or 3, which do you choose?

I guess for me, my beleif is you need to be solid across the board. There are teams that win SBs with one side of the ball being dominant, while the other is below average, but they are outliers.

At a certain point it just becomes about bpa and based on what I see it won’t take long before wr becomes obvious.

that said I don’t see miami drafting any size boundary options with climb the ladder/50/50 balls skill set early.

they depending on dvp and Preston Williams and for good reason. Both showed the ability to win inside quickly also. Which is a big deal for 3rd down conversions.

At a certain point it just becomes about bpa and based on what I see it won’t take long before wr becomes obvious.

that said I don’t see miami drafting any size boundary options with climb the ladder/50/50 balls skill set early.

they depending on dvp and Preston Williams and for good reason. Both showed the ability to win inside quickly also. Which is a big deal for 3rd down conversions.
I would also add that some suggest the need for a speed guy to "take the top off", as they say, forgetting that both Wilson, and Grant have plenty of speed to run by most safeties, or for that matter many corners, in the league.

They aren't big, or even great route runners, but defenses have no choice but to respect the fact that one missed step, and they are gone. I consider that taking the top off, for all intents and purposes.

Grant and Wilson decisions play into this im sure. They may buy into Wilson gets his top gear back another year removed from the hip. Even if they do they should require a pay cut.

the jakeem thing is just....

Ford has earned a spot also. It might always be 4th wr type stuff but he’s dirt cheap and he produces when given an opportunity.

he’s a pro. First year didn’t have an nfl body for contact and he’s always gonna be somewhat finesse imo but he’s a 53 worthy pro. And dirt cheap. Don’t forget that

I would also add that some suggest the need for a speed guy to "take the top off", as they say, forgetting that both Wilson, and Grant have plenty of speed to run by most safeties, or for that matter many corners, in the league.

They aren't big, or even great route runners, but defenses have no choice but to respect the fact that one missed step, and they are gone. I consider that taking the top off, for all intents and purposes.

I agree with you but are you really comfortble with Grant's injury history( 2 years in a row he hasn't been able to finish the season)? Not to mention his and Wilsons shaky hands?

Knows every route for every receiver position for the entire playbook.

Also looks like he runs very pretty, very precise routes as well.

QBs tend to like that in a reciever, and it's exactly what you want in a #3/4 gut.

Back
Top Bottom