Super Bowl XXVII | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl XXVII

SF - The 'Sea of Hands' game was the end of the dynasty. I was 8 and was such a huge fan after those two SB wins. I remember my older brother who was a Vikings fan giving me **** cuz Csonka, Kiick and Warfield were leaving and then to lose like we did. We would've beaten Pittsburgh too because out of their four titles the '74 team was easily their weakest. A lot of heartbreak being a Phins fan throughout my lifetime but I'm glad I saw the Super Bowl wins.

SF - The 'Sea of Hands' game was the end of the dynasty. I was 8 and was such a huge fan after those two SB wins. I remember my older brother who was a Vikings fan giving me **** cuz Csonka, Kiick and Warfield were leaving and then to lose like we did. We would've beaten Pittsburgh too because out of their four titles the '74 team was easily their weakest. A lot of heartbreak being a Phins fan throughout my lifetime but I'm glad I saw the Super Bowl wins.
My brother was a Vikings fan as well. Our house was pretty quiet for Super Bowl VIII. I kept my cheering to myself, for the most part, and fortunately the Dolphins dominated from start to finish.

Miami would have been home against the Steelers in the playoffs. I think the Dolphins would have won.

My folks had a SB party that year and we had to watch at the neighbors house. I loved every minute of SB VIII. A great memory of being a kid.
One of the best games Miami ever played. So efficient, made it look easy at times, against a very good football team.

Don Strock has an autobiography about his time in Miami. It's a great read.
He said about Super Bowl 17 that Shula was going to put Strock in to start the second half because of Woodley's struggles. But right before the half what seemed like a great thing was actually a curse: Fulton Walker returned the KO for a TD, put Miami up 17-13 instead of being down 10-13 at half.
With the lead, Shula decided to give Woodley one more shot. He did nothing, and by the time Strock did get put in it was too late.
We might have been better off not scoring the TD and going right to Strock, but we will never know.
This game is one of my top 3 all time sickest Dolphins' games(the other two being the choke loss at NE to end the 2002 season and the 1994 playoff game at SDiego we lost 21-22 after leading 21-3)
I just missed the Sea of Hands game by one year, became a fan in 1975.

My folks had a SB party that year and we had to watch at the neighbors house. I loved every minute of SB VIII. A great memory of being a kid.
Another point on Pittsburgh. Their defense was already dominate, but Terry Bradshaw hadn't yet arrived as a quarterback in 1974. He played seven games for the Steelers that year completing just 45.3 percent of his passes with a 55.2 quarterback rating. On the other hand, Bob Griese completed 60.1 percent with a 80.9 rating. Pointing out the quarterbacks because Griese was far superior at that point in their careers.

No question, the Steelers would have been tough. The Dolphins secondary was banged up and that would have been an area of concern. But, as you know, Miami absolutely dominated at the Orange Bowl. It was a significant home field advantage.

Don Strock has an autobiography about his time in Miami. It's a great read.
He said about Super Bowl 17 that Shula was going to put Strock in to start the second half because of Woodley's struggles. But right before the half what seemed like a great thing was actually a curse: Fulton Walker returned the KO for a TD, put Miami up 17-13 instead of being down 10-13 at half.
With the lead, Shula decided to give Woodley one more shot. He did nothing, and by the time Strock did get put in it was too late.
We might have been better off not scoring the TD and going right to Strock, but we will never know.
This game is one of my top 3 all time sickest Dolphins' games(the other two being the choke loss at NE to end the 2002 season and the 1994 playoff game at SDiego we lost 21-22 after leading 21-3)
I just missed the Sea of Hands game by one year, became a fan in 1975.
I'll have to read that Strock autobiography. Especially now since I have some time on my hands like most of us!!

Another game that always hurts is AFC Championship loss to New England following the 1985 season. Miami beat the Patriots twice that year and, at that point, I don't think Shula's Dolphins had ever lost an AFC Championship game. That was a stinker of a game, though, as the Dolphins turned the ball over six times (I believe). A rematch of Miami versus Chicago would have been interesting.

I was at the Murph when we lost the '94 playoff game to SD. That one hurt!
That one felt like Marino's last chance. Game just kept slipping away. That's another one where Miami could have easily advanced to the super bowl had they beaten the Chargers. Then again, I don't think they would have won against SF. Maybe a little better game than San Diego had.

Another game that always hurts is AFC Championship loss to New England following the 1985 season. Miami beat the Patriots twice that year and, at that point, I don't think Shula's Dolphins had ever lost an AFC Championship game. That was a stinker of a game, though, as the Dolphins turned the ball over six times (I believe). A rematch of Miami versus Chicago would have been interesting.
That game hurts tremendously because I love the 1985 season. But Miami was actually 1-2 against the Patriots that year. They lost in Foxboro earlier in the year, right before the Jets game in the Orange Bowl that started their seven game win streak to end the regular season (they beat NE in a close one on a Monday night in December in the second to last game of the season).

The Patriots played over their heads in the AFC playoffs that year— winning three games on the road, including at the Raiders and at Miami, where they had never won.

That game hurts tremendously because I love the 1985 season. But Miami was actually 1-2 against the Patriots that year. They lost in Foxboro earlier in the year, right before the Jets game in the Orange Bowl that started their seven game win streak to end the regular season (they beat NE in a close one on a Monday night in December in the second to last game of the season).

The Patriots played over their heads in the AFC playoffs that year— winning three games on the road, including at the Raiders and at Miami, where they had never won.
Would have setup an interesting super bowl. I think Bears would have been favored, but Chicago had to find a way to adjust to Marino and Miami's passing game. That 1985 Monday nighter was one of my favorite all-time Dolphin games.

If I remember, we had the lead when Rigggins' ran for his TD. We punted and then Wash ran the ball like five or six straight times to run the clock down and then Theismann threw the TD to Brown. Wasn't a lot of opportunities to get Strock in the game. I suppose after Riggins' run we could've went to him. He did get in eventually, went 0-3. I have never watched that game again. Seen plenty of Riggins' highlights to last more than a lifetime.

If the officials had correctly called Riggins fumble inside the 10, Strock would have had a chance down only 20-17 with 2 minutes. That game still bothers me.

Yeah, the WFL ruined the dynasty.

I'll have to read that Strock autobiography. Especially now since I have some time on my hands like most of us!!

OH my God, I forgot about that game. That 1985 team though played way above their talent level. I had a bad feeling about that AFC Championship game going in, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They did just seem to run out of gas that week. Nothing would go right.
I have a lot of old Dolphins games on DVD, and in the ones from 1985 the announcers frequently talk about how they thought, at the time, that 1985 was Shula's best coaching job, with injuries and lost talent catching up to them(injuries to Duhe, losses of Andra Franklin, Overstreet, among others). It seemed to all dry up vs the Patriots that day.
Alex Marvez also has a Dolphins bio called Stadium Stories, and there is a bio on JJ's first season called Shark Among Dolphins. I love all three of those, especially the Strock and JJ ones. I read the JJ one in literally one day, like 300 pages. This was back when JJ was still coaching, but great stories in there.

Back
Top Bottom