*Super Thread* SunLife Stadium Renovations | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Super Thread* SunLife Stadium Renovations

I didnt look for a previous post my bad

edit: and now that i did look for it i dont see it

dolphina.jpg

The last time the Dolphins were actually building a NEW Stadium, 1987 (28 Years ago) the last time the Dolphins won a Playoff game 2001 (14 Years ago) Weak Sauce Dude
San Francisco got a NEW Stadium last year, Levi's Stadium, Atlanta is building a new Stadium, and its amazing and the Georgia Dome opened in 1992, 5 years after Joe Robbie Stadium. Just like the Fins always rebuilding and renovating. No real change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVGuo4qqsI

Even with all the updates to what should be called Joe Robbie Stadium(!), my all-time favorite Miami Dolphin stadium is now just a (fond) memory:

Miami_Orange_Bowl.jpg

:bong2:

-

Im curious to know that instead of those four toothpicks, why they didnt just build a roof similar to the one on the Cowboys stadium? Or instead design it the way it was, with something a bit more concrete, instead of a canopy, or something like ETFE. Was it just not possible because of the way the stadium is built already? Im a tech guy, love all the new stuff, and I get excited when a new state-of-the-art arena/stadium is built, but I just dont see it here. I like the improvements, but overall, it just looks like they added a huge hat on top of the stadium, and called it a day. I get the new seats, scoreboards, club levels, suites, etc., but that happens in all stadiums sooner or later. I guess its those four huge toothpicks sticking out in the corners of the stadium. I mean, you look at Marlins Park, and Sun Life, and even though they are two different type of stadiums, there really is no comparison.

Im curious to know that instead of those four toothpicks, why they didnt just build a roof similar to the one on the Cowboys stadium? Or instead design it the way it was, with something a bit more concrete, instead of a canopy, or something like ETFE. Was it just not possible because of the way the stadium is built already? Im a tech guy, love all the new stuff, and I get excited when a new state-of-the-art arena/stadium is built, but I just dont see it here. I like the improvements, but overall, it just looks like they added a huge hat on top of the stadium, and called it a day. I get the new seats, scoreboards, club levels, suites, etc., but that happens in all stadiums sooner or later. I guess its those four huge toothpicks sticking out in the corners of the stadium. I mean, you look at Marlins Park, and Sun Life, and even though they are two different type of stadiums, there really is no comparison.

it helps that the Cowboys/Marlins stadiums were built from the ground up. I can imagine the cost of trying to add some sort of retractable roof to an already built stadium would prove to be a huge expense, if even possible with the structure in place.

From my limited civil engineering knowledge the original base structure and foundation is most likely not designed for that type of load distribution hence the pillars to carry the load. I imagine the 'tarp' style roof will weight substantially less than the full dome style as the Cowboys stadium.

You basically limit the design because of the load path taken by the roof to the foundation.

Aerospace engineer here.

From my limited civil engineering knowledge the original base structure and foundation is most likely not designed for that type of load distribution hence the pillars to carry the load. I imagine the 'tarp' style roof will weight substantially less than the full dome style as the Cowboys stadium.

You basically limit the design because of the load path taken by the roof to the foundation.

Aerospace engineer here.

Pretty much this, what we are going to have (if the renderings are truly indicative of the final design) are 8 columns shouldering the load (2 in each corner that the stadium), so they will pour a new foundation in those areas to support the added weight. If you had a retractable roof, the entire foundation of the entire stadium would have to be modified to support the weight of the roof as it moves along its track, which would be a hell of an undertaking. It would honestly probably be more cost effective to tear the stadium down if they were going to go that route. This was the most cost effective solution, and it still looks pretty sweet. "New stadiums" while beautiful have so much other crap going on in them, it almost makes you lose interest in the game. I am a project manager for an architect in Ft. Myers and drove down for a Marlins game, and honestly spent more time wandering around, and checking the stadium out than I did actually watching the game. I like the route they are taking with the stadium.

should make it louder with half a roof too. I know its open on sides but sound will bounce still.

the roof will be able to close with rain?

Don't think so. They announced like 95% of seats will have sun and rain blockage.

Back
Top Bottom