Superbowl caliber Defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Superbowl caliber Defense

They should be working out dts looking for something else at the poa right now.

is John Jenkins on the street? If so do it...

I don’t like this look vs downhill at all

that’s probably right unless they tell mccain to take a cut and he balks
Possible, but I don't see him doing that.

I'm not sure there is a big market for him around the league. He "fits" what we do here much better than he would most other places. He isn't a corner any more (never was a guy you want playing wide), and doesn't really fit what most teams look for in a FS.

If he balks too much, he may end up unemployed.

That’s why you tell him to take a cut...he’s probably gonna do it. What he gives you isn’t worth $7.1 mil cap hit wise if that’s accurate

Between I would have said needham was the worst grade on the d relatively speaking to ask but the last 2 weeks he’s elevated his play...

don’t really see any true eye sore player...some guys are limited and need development but they’ve done a good job of hiding the exposure I’d say

Isn't one of the "winning" draft strategies to draft to your strength? In Flo's Defense you can never have too many CBs. I believe this team, for the first time in MANY years, is reaching a point where they can do that without sacrificing the team. I don't see them leaving the secondary alone in the draft.

I've thought that the calls for a DT were overblown since day one. Wilkins and Davis are a fine base... now Sieler... and maybe Strowbridge or Benito. We have a nice base... our pass rushing is working out... What we don't have is a plus inside linebacker corps.

Even our safeties look a lot better than some said... but those inside linebackers? ugh. All of them are one dimensional.
So what do you suggest we do with our draft picks. all fiftylem of them go to the offense?

Strowbridge can't be improved upon if the right player drops? Benito Jones can't be improved upon if the right player drops? I'm fine with our Free Safety...but next year, if we get the Notre Dame FS in our sight, McCain might not be so fine to me.

I heard the brass talk about sustainability. Drafting outgoing positions and top dollar positions correctly is a great way to maintain that sustainability.

Last edited:
So what do you suggest we do with our draft picks. all fiftylem of them go to the offense?

Strowbridge can't be improved upon if the right player drops? Benito Jones can't be improved upon if the right player drops? I'm fine with our Free Safety...but next year, if we get the Notre Dame FS in our sight, McCain might not be so fine to me.

I heard the brass talk about sustainability. Drafting outgoing positions and top dollar positions correctly is a great way to maintain that sustainability.
What do I suggest we do with them? Well... If we can obtain Micah Parsons with our first selection, I would put the next 4 picks to offense. All four of them. If I'm going to spend a second pick from the first two days on defense, I'm going to look Edge rusher.

Strowbridge and Benito are both decent developmental players. Players we understand by now... Players who have seemingly bought into our system. In order to 'improve' on them, we'd likely have to expend a high pick... something I think we can ill afford to do at this point. Tua needs weapons, a better Tackle... and conceivably a Center. Our defense has shown that it is already very, very good. Like last year when we concentrated on the trenches (after Tua), this year should see us focus on a different part of the team... our constipated offense.

Sustainability? Well... Godchaux is likely outgoing... and the two players mentioned above are the incoming(as well as Davis and Wilkins). McCain and Rowe are both signed through 2022 and Needham and Jones are already their direct replacements... so that looks pretty sustainable... like REALLY sustainable.
The offense, on the other hand... is a mess. No starting RB, no slot WR, no quality depth, no Right Tackle... maybe no Center... we not only do not have a future here, we don't even have a 'now'.

So yes... other than a Mike LB, I wouldn't draft any defensive players til the third day. At that point... if we see a Solomon Kindley type who has slid down the board, then sure.

What do I suggest we do with them? Well... If we can obtain Micah Parsons with our first selection, I would put the next 4 picks to offense. All four of them. If I'm going to spend a second pick from the first two days on defense, I'm going to look Edge rusher.

Strowbridge and Benito are both decent developmental players. Players we understand by now... Players who have seemingly bought into our system. In order to 'improve' on them, we'd likely have to expend a high pick... something I think we can ill afford to do at this point. Tua needs weapons, a better Tackle... and conceivably a Center. Our defense has shown that it is already very, very good. Like last year when we concentrated on the trenches (after Tua), this year should see us focus on a different part of the team... our constipated offense.

Sustainability? Well... Godchaux is likely outgoing... and the two players mentioned above are the incoming(as well as Davis and Wilkins). McCain and Rowe are both signed through 2022 and Needham and Jones are already their direct replacements... so that looks pretty sustainable... like REALLY sustainable.
The offense, on the other hand... is a mess. No starting RB, no slot WR, no quality depth, no Right Tackle... maybe no Center... we not only do not have a future here, we don't even have a 'now'.

So yes... other than a Mike LB, I wouldn't draft any defensive players til the third day. At that point... if we see a Solomon Kindley type who has slid down the board, then sure.
That's one school of thought.

I'm taking a defensive player, depending on how he lands on my board, day 2 at the latest. 2nd pick rd one at the earliest. My first pick is offense...WR, no matter how I shape it,if we are going to ride this Tua train, we may as well have all the accoutrements. But I want another DT that is better than Benito. I want a MIKE that is better than Roberts...although Roberts has shined as of late.

Ogbah is a big key
Absolutely. Nice to see Miami extend Sieler. Would like to see the same with Ogbah and Karras. I know Karras had that horrible snap in the Charger game, but he's been solid. The offense would take a step back with a rookie center, even one of the top guys. At least initially.
If this defense adds Parsons..whew boy.

Just draft him then all playmakers.
That would pretty much be my plan. I would also like to see the Dolphins add a run-stopping or complete defensive tackle. I know Davis is on the rise, which is great. But if you could get a player like Shelvin in the third round your rotation just got a heck of a lot better.

With the way Miami is playing, if they take Parsons with that Houston pick, Chase, Smith and Waddle will almost certainly be off the board with Miami's other #1 pick. That is something to consider. I do like the wr talent in the draft, but really want one of those guys. Trading back up is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom