Surprise Cuts... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surprise Cuts...

Tupac Shakur

troublesome
Club Member
Reaction score
who do you think will be a surprise cut after training camp/preaseason?

for me, i guess you could say john st. clair was last year, although it wasn't a major surprise.

i think this year's candidates include:

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...

Tupac Shakur said:

for me, i guess you could say john st. clair was last year, although it wasn't a major surprise.

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...
They won't cut goodman they just signed him... the cap hit would be to much. Plus, hes pretty good.

Pending injury to any of our other DT's, I think this maybe the year for Jeff Zgonina to get cut.

after what traylor did, i dunno im thinking maybe he will be cut.

Andre Goodman will not be cut, mostly due to his contract. Keith Traylor will not be cut, unless we bring in Wilkinson to play NT in our 3-4. Jeno James will definitely not be cut- he is one of our best linemen.

I agree with Zgonina, however. With Wright and Vickerson and possibly Evans making the roster, there is no room. But then again, Jeff always manages to overcome the odds and make the roster when many of us assume he will be gone.

Dolfan1000 said:
Andre Goodman will not be cut, mostly due to his contract. Keith Traylor will not be cut, unless we bring in Wilkinson to play NT in our 3-4. Jeno James will definitely not be cut- he is one of our best linemen.

I agree with Zgonina, however. With Wright and Vickerson and possibly Evans making the roster, there is no room. But then again, Jeff always manages to overcome the odds and make the roster when many of us assume he will be gone.

personally speaking, this is the first year I think Jeff will be gone, I thought there was an outside chance he maybe traded last year. (Thankfully he didn't because of Vickersons injury, we neede the depth)

this year however, we have a plethora of DT's, with the additions of Evans, and Vickerson beeing able to play, I think Jeff is the odd man out.

keith traylor....not possible unless we sign Big Daddy
jeff zgonina....you're right
jeno james....not gonna happen, he's a coaches favorite
kelly campbell....if Devin Aromashodu beats him, yes
andre goodman....if he turns up all Mario Edwards on us, yes.

Tupac Shakur said:

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...

Jeno James is a solid starter and the team doesn't have enough quality depth to cut him.

I think Donnie Spraghan may be a surprise cut, not because he can't play, but because of the potential cap savings and the additions of Newman and Hodge...If Saban picks up another LB (Brooks via sup. draft, or Watson), all bets are off with him and I would expect him to get cut, even tho he's very capable.

As far as J. James goes, with the minimal cap savings we'd take to dispense of him, it's just not worth it for Saban to axe him, besides that, I think he has been our best OL the last two years...

Another surprise cut, but it is far fetched, would be Booker...I love Booker myself, but we'd save $2.7 mil by letting him loose...the only thing, and the reason I think it is doubtful, is that Hagan/Campbell would have to really WOW things in camp along with Aromashodu as well. I know that seems far out there but it is possible...still a lot would have to happen for that scenario...

LarryFinFan said:
I think Donnie Spraghan may be a surprise cut, not because he can't play, but because of the potential cap savings and the additions of Newman and Hodge...If Saban picks up another LB (Brooks via sup. draft, or Watson), all bets are off with him and I would expect him to get cut, even tho he's very capable.

As far as J. James goes, with the minimal cap savings we'd take to dispense of him, it's just not worth it for Saban to axe him, besides that, I think he has been our best OL the last two years...

Another surprise cut, but it is far fetched, would be Booker...I love Booker myself, but we'd save $2.7 mil by letting him loose...the only thing, and the reason I think it is doubtful, is that Hagan/Campbell would have to really WOW things in camp along with Aromashodu as well. I know that seems far out there but it is possible...still a lot would have to happen for that scenario...

Saban just recently labeled Donnie Spragan as the guy among the three linebackers that can do the most. He's ahead of Hodge and Newman on the depth chart. Even with an Ahmad Brooks or Donnie Edwards, I think Spragan is safe.

And neither Booker nor James will be cut, unless they suck so bad as to surprisingly play their way off the roster. But, that would be one heck of a surprise considering they are both stable veterans.

I just don't see anyone on the roster that would be a 'surprise' cut ...

This year is not the year of surprises ... that will come next offseason ... when the younger players are ready to assume a larger role ...

The only folks that 'could' qualify as surprises would be:
James
Morris
Booker
Carter
Bowens
Holliday
Hodge
Spragan

as each of these should be solid contributors, but not bonifide stars to the team! Next year as much as 50% of these players might not be here !!

Back
Top Bottom