Surprise Cuts... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surprise Cuts...

Tupac Shakur said:
who do you think will be a surprise cut after training camp/preaseason?

for me, i guess you could say john st. clair was last year, although it wasn't a major surprise.

i think this year's candidates include:

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...
i only agree with zgonia

Campbell is not going anywhere IMO, he's our #3 Wr

Since When, I figured Saban would probably let Training Camp begin before he sets the depth chart. Even so, I figured Campbell as our 5th at best. With Chambers and Booker starting, Hagan at #3, and Welker, who was very soild when given a chance last season, at #4. I would think Campbell will battle Aromashadu and Fred Gibson for a roster spot. Now of course, if he shows sparks of his once promising career, he could move up. But I am not willing to predict that yet seeing as though he wasn't even in the NFL last season.

The players I think will be cut are as follows

Kelly Campbell
Teyo Johnson
Travis Minor
Jeff Zgonina
Keith Newman or Donnie Spragan
Eddie Moore
and one veteran offensive lineman who will be unimpressive in training camp, we just don't no who it will be.

Minor being cut would be a minor surprise. I think he plays a pretty large role on special teams in addition to his natural position of runningback.

Jeff Z. and Minor have surprised me by actually making the final cut, but that could very well change this year.

The real "surprise" cut will happen somewhere on the O-line, but it won't be Jeno.

I don't see any surprises at WR, but Campbell vs. Aroma vs. Welker for 2 spots should be interesting.

Agreed, Traylor stays unless Dan W. is signed.

TotoreMexico said:
Campbell is not going anywhere IMO, he's our #3 Wr

Not so sure, we've got Welker, Hagan and maybe Aromashodu beating him for that spot, but anyways he wont be cut...

Tupac Shakur said:

for me, i guess you could say john st. clair was last year, although it wasn't a major surprise.

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...

Not a bad list.........

I don't really agree with Jeno James or Kelly Campbell though

PHINANALYST said:
I just don't see anyone on the roster that would be a 'surprise' cut ...

This year is not the year of surprises ... that will come next offseason ... when the younger players are ready to assume a larger role ...

The only folks that 'could' qualify as surprises would be:
James
Morris
Booker
Carter
Bowens
Holliday
Hodge
Spragan

as each of these should be solid contributors, but not bonifide stars to the team! Next year as much as 50% of these players might not be here !!
I don't think that I wanna see any of these guys go anywhere.

i think zgonia,moore,teyo i think campell has too much talent t o cut he has speed and he can play special teams. i think minor could be but he is a vet and we could need that. also donnie spargan i believe will play solid after learning a diffucult D# and can only get better. i really believe we will cut some o-lineman

Why does everyone thing hagan will be our #3? because he was a day 1 pick? Lets see how he adjusts to pro ball before we appoint him as a def #3 WR. Odd are that he will be able to produce but it wouldnt suprise me if they brought him in gradually.....

I'm telling you...this is going to be a dogfight at this position. Anyone notice that Campbell said "making the team" wasn't even being considered for him...we was "well past that point". Just tells me he is very confident and will give these rookies a serious run for their money. He'll probbaly sneak in on SP but he has his eye firmly on the WR position as the season progresses.

Add Seth McKinney to the list, especially if Wade Smith shows anything at Center, or if any of our tackles (Alabi, McIntosh, Pearson) show anything at RT, meaning Carey could move to RG, and Rex could move to Center.

Tupac Shakur said:

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...

Traylor is a maybe but we'd need to sign a stout veteran 3-4 NT to replace him (Wright, Vickerson, etc are all 4-3 DT's NOT run-stuffing NT's). Zgonina should be gone especially if we get a veteran NT. James I don't think will go because we have subpar Guard depth. Campbell is likely if Hagan and Devin outshine him or if Saban wants Vick to play a Randle El gadget WR/QB. Goodman I think is a possiblity if he doesn't work hard, the job's his to lose.

LarryFinFan said:
I think Donnie Spraghan may be a surprise cut, not because he can't play, but because of the potential cap savings and the additions of Newman and Hodge...If Saban picks up another LB (Brooks via sup. draft, or Watson), all bets are off with him and I would expect him to get cut, even tho he's very capable.

As far as J. James goes, with the minimal cap savings we'd take to dispense of him, it's just not worth it for Saban to axe him, besides that, I think he has been our best OL the last two years...

Another surprise cut, but it is far fetched, would be Booker...I love Booker myself, but we'd save $2.7 mil by letting him loose...the only thing, and the reason I think it is doubtful, is that Hagan/Campbell would have to really WOW things in camp along with Aromashodu as well. I know that seems far out there but it is possible...still a lot would have to happen for that scenario...

We would trade Booker before we cut him and get something decent!

Back
Top Bottom