Surprise Cuts... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surprise Cuts...

to say that cambell will get cut is not so bright, we've only heard good things about him AND hes a newcomer and alot of people say zgonina almost every year...we'll see but i know its not going to be cambell

FinsAreLife said:
to say that cambell will get cut is not so bright, we've only heard good things about him AND hes a newcomer and alot of people say zgonina almost every year...we'll see but i know its not going to be cambell

Well right now Campbell is actually battling for a spot. It isn't a dumb thing to say. You KNOW that Booker, Chambers, and Hagan are safe, and I would say Welker is just as safe because he's by far our best punt return man. But Campbell is the 5th guy on a roster that probably plans on keeping 5 guys. He's s deep threat, and a kick returner.

But so is Devin Aromashodu, and the Fins actually spent a 7th on Aromashodu whereas they signed Campbell after he spent all of 2005 out of football.

I agree Campbell is pretty well entrenched for now and has really impressed the veterans with his speed. That's a good thing. But if Aromashodu turns out to be the real deal (he's 6'3", runs a 4.35, and averaged 20 ypc in his final two years at SEC school Auburn as their most productive WR) and if Campbell struggles a bit when the pads go on like many speedsters of the past, then yeah...Campbell could be gone.

305TillIDie said:
yeah..i see campbell,jeno james and goodman still here..campbell is a burner...he was putting up good stats in minnesota before he was injuried...hes staying

Exactally, Campbell is more versatile than some of the others and besides that everyone is bragging on how fast he is. He'll be a definate option for punt return and kickoff returns and a speedy wideout, plus he has experience in the league and a bit of chemistry with Culpeper that gives him an edge others won't have. IMO Campbell will be the guy doing everything that some people say Vick could do.

jlfin said:
Jeno James is a solid starter and the team doesn't have enough quality depth to cut him.

Yeah I agree Depth is paramount for the OL. Jeno has provided enough quality minutes to stay for the time being. Unless, after June 1 some other team has to cut a quality lineman due to salary cap restraints who would provide an instant upgrade.

Tupac Shakur said:
who do you think will be a surprise cut after training camp/preaseason?

for me, i guess you could say john st. clair was last year, although it wasn't a major surprise.

i think this year's candidates include:

keith traylor
jeff zgonina
jeno james
kelly campbell
andre goodman

your thoughts...

Id be shocked to see Jeno James cut. Id actually be pisst off. He is one of our most consistent Olineman.

GEORGIA FIN said:
Exactally, Campbell is more versatile than some of the others and besides that everyone is bragging on how fast he is. He'll be a definate option for punt return and kickoff returns and a speedy wideout, plus he has experience in the league and a bit of chemistry with Culpeper that gives him an edge others won't have. IMO Campbell will be the guy doing everything that some people say Vick could do.

OK let's get something straight. The Vikings didn't cut Campbell because of injury. They cut him because they didn't want him. And, no other team signed him in 2005.

When the Vikes signed Travis Taylor and drafted Troy Williamson, it was openly speculated that either Keenan Howry or Kelly Campbell could be cut. Campbell took the quadriceps injury and missed all of preseason then got healthy by the end of August. The final cut date passed and he survived.

Then they signed Koren Robinson and guess who they cut. Not Keenan Howry. They cut Kelly Campbell. Yes, the decision was made that Keenan Howry was a better player than a healthy Kelly Campbell. Howry was later cut in late October.

So let's not pretend that Campbell spent all of 2005 injured or something. He was cut...because the team didn't want him anymore. He also has a legal history, having been charged with felony possession of a stolen handgun and possession of a small amount of marijuana. I don't know what the outcome of that was...he asked for a continuance in July of 2005 during training camp.

ckparrothead said:
OK let's get something straight. The Vikings didn't cut Campbell because of injury. They cut him because they didn't want him. And, no other team signed him in 2005.

When the Vikes signed Travis Taylor and drafted Troy Williamson, it was openly speculated that either Keenan Howry or Kelly Campbell could be cut. Campbell took the quadriceps injury and missed all of preseason then got healthy by the end of August. The final cut date passed and he survived.

Then they signed Koren Robinson and guess who they cut. Not Keenan Howry. They cut Kelly Campbell. Yes, the decision was made that Keenan Howry was a better player than a healthy Kelly Campbell. Howry was later cut in late October.

So let's not pretend that Campbell spent all of 2005 injured or something. He was cut...because the team didn't want him anymore. He also has a legal history, having been charged with felony possession of a stolen handgun and possession of a small amount of marijuana. I don't know what the outcome of that was...he asked for a continuance in July of 2005 during training camp.

I never said he wasn't cut. I said he was a good option. It's not supprising that Minnesota cut him, hell they ran Culpepper out of town for a 2nd rounder. Really, our two QBs were players that their teams gave up on (Culpepper and Harrington). Are you saying that they're not going to make the cut? As for his legal issues, so what. The team is full of players with troubles (Williams, Traylor, Vick, Campbell, etc.). If Saban is going to straighten out Vick whay would Campbell be any different?

GEORGIA FIN said:
I never said he wasn't cut. I said he was a good option. It's not supprising that Minnesota cut him, hell they ran Culpepper out of town for a 2nd rounder. Really, our two QBs were players that their teams gave up on (Culpepper and Harrington). Are you saying that they're not going to make the cut? As for his legal issues, so what. The team is full of players with troubles (Williams, Traylor, Vick, Campbell, etc.). If Saban is going to straighten out Vick whay would Campbell be any different?

I almost don't even feel like pointing out the OBVIOUS differences between trading a guy to a team for actual value, and cutting a guy once the regular season has officially started.

Kelly Campbell was cut in favor of Keenan Howry. He spent all of 2005 out of football and never signed with a single team to help them out. The Dolphins meanwhile signed scrubs like Cliff Russell to the roster during the 2005 season, never looked up Campbell.

But I guess we should just sign every waiver wire scrub from the Vikings and assume he's a pro bowler just because they traded us Daunte Culpepper for a 2nd round pick.

305TillIDie said:
yeah..i see campbell,jeno james and goodman still here..campbell is a burner...he was putting up good stats in minnesota before he was injuried...hes staying

Campbell's not going anywhere!!!

ckparrothead said:
Saban just recently labeled Donnie Spragan as the guy among the three linebackers that can do the most. He's ahead of Hodge and Newman on the depth chart. Even with an Ahmad Brooks or Donnie Edwards, I think Spragan is safe.

And neither Booker nor James will be cut, unless they suck so bad as to surprisingly play their way off the roster. But, that would be one heck of a surprise considering they are both stable veterans.

Yea, I remember seeing that about Spraghan...I was basing it off of the possibility that one of the other guys comes thru (or we acquire Brooks) and his salary/cap savings...

ckparrothead said:
I almost don't even feel like pointing out the OBVIOUS differences between trading a guy to a team for actual value, and cutting a guy once the regular season has officially started.

Kelly Campbell was cut in favor of Keenan Howry. He spent all of 2005 out of football and never signed with a single team to help them out. The Dolphins meanwhile signed scrubs like Cliff Russell to the roster during the 2005 season, never looked up Campbell.

But I guess we should just sign every waiver wire scrub from the Vikings and assume he's a pro bowler just because they traded us Daunte Culpepper for a 2nd round pick.

CK, I thought I read somewhere that he spent some time in jail this last season ?? I could be wrong but that was my impression from one of the articles that came out when we signed him...

Edit: Just did a Google on him and didn't see anything about prison.....

Just to be clear. Is Zgonina on the list because you think we should cut him? Or are you just saying he might be cut because of his age?

Also, when we picked up Campbell, my first thought was that Culpepper has a history throwing to him, so let's bring him in to give Daunte a familiar target. I never imagined he'd make the 53-man roster. Was I off-base in my thinking?

LarryFinFan said:
CK, I thought I read somewhere that he spent some time in jail this last season ?? I could be wrong but that was my impression from one of the articles that came out when we signed him...

Edit: Just did a Google on him and didn't see anything about prison.....

Possible. He was being charged with felony possession of a stolen handgun and a small amount of marijuana. Which is all the more reason not to give the man a free pass onto the roster.

Back
Top Bottom