Surtain so called replacement | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain so called replacement

kizzaboo said:
Yes I agree, I have watched his many games but we also have Poole and Howard who have great potential also.

Would it be a good tihing to say that we should wait til next year and see how our other young CB's do then adress the need in next years draft?
tbh... howard was signed for this reason, and makes Spielman look good. He knew that something would have to happen with Pat this year, now we have solid starters.

The Rolle thing is JMO, I cannot see us drafting him, but if we did - Poole/Rolle is the new Madison/Surtain and the two of them would start next year.

Poole is a better player, he may still be green, but i'm telling you he's going to be our next great shut down corner. Howard can get handed anything he wants, Poole will beat him out in Training Camp and be the starter at the start of the season!

svnrdr said:
Surtain still has a pulse....until this trade is announced OFFICIALLY, I'm going to wait to celebrate.
i dont think anyone is going to celebrate his departure, its appears its gonna happen, and if does im just curious who will fill his shoes, or try to!

Jimmy James said:
There are circumstances where you don't play the best player at the time. Remember back to when Pat first got his shot -- it was done the way it was in large part because Buckley was going to be let go at the end of the season. I didn't understand the position as well as I do now back then, so I can't say for sure whether Pat was outplaying Buckley already at that point. I can say it is sound strategy even if Pat was a slightly worse player at the point he took over.

It's crap........ You put your best 22 starters ON THE FIELD no matter what the circumstances at ANY level whether it be Pop Warner, JV, Varsity, College, World League, Arena Ball, or the NFL!!!! I know it doesn't always happen that way but I've always thought it was the biggest mistake that coaches make

Schleprock said:
People....why would we trade a corner in order to draft a corner??? yes, maybe to get younger there...but we have more pressing needs than a damn CB in the first round. We have Madison, Poole and Howard still!!

We have Madison, Poole and Howard...and how is that a good thing?
Madison clearly looks like his better years are behind him ( Surtain, right now is way better than Madison ) we should have traded him about two years ago.
Poole has yet to impress in a real way and Howard came over from the Panthers where most people figured the Panther secondary was their weakest point.
Those that are 100% sure Miami will have a great secondary this year, might be in shock, losing Surtain is going to hurt Miami more than than most realize.

outlawd2u said:
It's crap........ You put your best 22 starters ON THE FIELD no matter what the circumstances at ANY level whether it be Pop Warner, JV, Varsity, College, World League, Arena Ball, or the NFL!!!! I know it doesn't always happen that way but I've always thought it was the biggest mistake that coaches make

If the players are close and one has better future and better upside if given the playing time, I support playing the guy with the future with the team. What you call a coaching mistake in the short term I call good coaching for the long haul.

Schleprock said:
People....why would we trade a corner in order to draft a corner??? yes, maybe to get younger there...but we have more pressing needs than a damn CB in the first round. We have Madison, Poole and Howard still!!

I agree with you, but if you use the BPA arguement, Rolle would probably represent the best value at #7 or #9. Especially #9!!!

Assuming the draft goes:

1. Smith
2. Edwards
3. Rodgers/M Williams/RB #1
4. M Williams/RB #2
5. Rodgers/RB #3
6. Tennessee could pass on Rolle here for BPA (RB, M Williams, Rodgers???)
7. If we are here at 7, and look up at the previous 6 picks, all the WR's and the big 3 RB's may all be gone, and probably will be. Who is BPA at this point in the draft.....Rolle.

Hammered36 said:
We have Madison, Poole and Howard...and how is that a good thing?
Madison clearly looks like his better years are behind him ( Surtain, right now is way better than Madison ) we should have traded him about two years ago.
Poole has yet to impress in a real way and Howard came over from the Panthers where most people figured the Panther secondary was their weakest point.
Those that are 100% sure Miami will have a great secondary this year, might be in shock, losing Surtain is going to hurt Miami more than than most realize.

I would say that 80% of the people on this board would agree that Madison out played Surtain last year.

NLude33 said:
I agree with you, but if you use the BPA arguement, Rolle would probably represent the best value at #7 or #9. Especially #9!!!

Assuming the draft goes:

1. Smith
2. Edwards
3. Rodgers/M Williams/RB #1
4. M Williams/RB #2
5. Rodgers/RB #3
6. Tennessee could pass on Rolle here for BPA (RB, M Williams, Rodgers???)
7. If we are here at 7, and look up at the previous 6 picks, all the WR's and the big 3 RB's may all be gone, and probably will be. Who is BPA at this point in the draft.....Rolle.

Why would you suggest the Titans take Rodgers? They have an heir apparent to McNair already.

If you meant Rogers, would you call him the BPA at 9 if he's the one available?

NLude33 said:
I would say that 80% of the people on this board would agree that Madison out played Surtain last year.

Then it's no wonder we finished 4-12

outlawd2u said:

What about two years ago in cinncy? Dillon went down and Rudy came on strong. Dillon was not as productive when he came back but he still started over Rudy. Same thing in Cinncy with Kitna & Palmer. Kitna had a fantasic year, then he was benched in favor of the high dollar younger player. even after palmer did not perform kitna stayed on the bench. Now I Agree that the best players should play, but that is not always the case. It's a business you play the players with the bigger names in order to sell tickets. i don't like it, you may not like it but that is the way it is.

NLude33 said:
People don't have to agree, because video will show it. I don't know what Surtain's problem was last year, but he was lazy, disinterested, and beat often. Don't let his INT #'s fool you. He was average across the league at best.

IMO I think Surtain had trouble dealing with the horrendous season and the fact he knew his days in Miami were numebred

Schleprock said:
IMO I think Surtain had trouble dealing with the horrendous season and the fact he knew his days in Miami were numebred

I would have to agree with the first part of that. It does get hard to go and play your hart out when your not playing for anything. Then who knows maybe after so many games they were told to slack off a little to get a better draft position who knows.

As for the second part i don't think he knew miami would want to get rid of him. IMO if he knew that he would have played his a$$ of in order to get big $$$ from his new team.

godfater21 said:
I would have to agree with the first part of that. It does get hard to go and play your hart out when your not playing for anything. Then who knows maybe after so many games they were told to slack off a little to get a better draft position who knows.

As for the second part i don't think he knew miami would want to get rid of him. IMO if he knew that he would have played his a$$ of in order to get big $$$ from his new team.

couldnt have said it better myself

Jimmy James said:
Why would you suggest the Titans take Rodgers? They have an heir apparent to McNair already.

If you meant Rogers, would you call him the BPA at 9 if he's the one available?

Yes, Rodgers at #7 or #9 would definatly have to be considered BPA. That is why I had him as ???? for the Titans.

Back
Top Bottom