T.J. McDonald signs 4 year extension | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. McDonald signs 4 year extension

i think this speaks more to how our D is going to be schemed with burke more than anything. when he returns from suspension it seems likely he will play a hybrid safety/lb roll.

This is stupid.

Give Landry his money.
And just how much would that be? I love Landry. Pretty sure everyone here does but he wants top 5 money and that's a lot for a slot WR with 3 to 5 TD's a year. If you run your offense around a slot WR it will never get you a super bowl

Ozzy rules!!

I think it's a gamble worth taking - not ridiculous money and sounds like they know what they have - if he's the guy they think he is then he would have only gotten more expensive. If he plays well this year which most were expecting anyway before this news, this will be a smart move in the vein of a certain team up north.

I really hope Miami adds a legit FS player/prospect.

Yes my James dream is unrealistic but adding a guy like him would change our D

Rangy deep middle guys change defenses.

$6 mil a year for a player suspended 8 games. He probably would've initially signed for like a 3 and 6 deal. I like the player and the possibilities he brings to the defense (which are yet to be seen) but there was zero rush with this ... and it's hardly a bargain.

Bold move, I was always under the impression that he was only ever "ok" for the Rams
No - I got the impression that he is very good and we were lucky to snag him because of his off the field problem that led to suspension. He was a good player on a good Defense under Jeff Fisher. However, a new LA Rams regime with Sean McVay as Head Coach and Wade Phillips coming in as Defensive Coordinator took a tough stand. TJ McDonald is a really big physical Safety who can be a thumper. I cannot recall Miami having such a physical presence as him, back there.
My read is that Miami must really, really like him to sign him up for a decent amount now, before he even plays a game for us and while he's suspended for half the season. The other surprising thing is that he comes across as being softly spoken, quite articulate and intelligent when interviewed but on the field he is a tough intimidating player who tackles hard. In fact they must have some confidence that he will be well behaved off the field, to guarantee $10M. I don't know the details of his suspension but it is narcotics related and 8 games is a lot. Sounds like he went off the rails and now he's happy to get a second chance in Miami.
Other interesting thing to note is that in capturing both William Hayes and TJ McDonald, we have targeted tough physical veterans from a good Rams Defense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom