T.J. Yates' Pro Day | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. Yates' Pro Day

I'm not a fan of Quinn at OLB. I don't think him an upgrade over Misi, even as a pass rusher, and certainly not in space.

if you put Quinn at OLB, it's not to use him in space. at least not a lot. he's at his best chasing the QB. a good DC will figure out his strength and use him accordingly.

quinn can bend and dip as well as any pass rusher in this draft...i don't know how fluid he is in the hips though from a cod aspect or how comfortable he'd be in space...but as a pure pass rusher he'd put misi to shame...watching his pro day though he's looking more 4-3 end to me all the time

but don't sleep on this cat...may well be the best pass rusher to come out of this draft...dudes got some serious edge rush skills

if i was a 4-3 team looking for a pass rushing force at end i'd scoop robert quinn in a nanosecond...top 5 i'm not afraid...come on down big fella

I could, and I would love to, but I don't think it will get re-tweeted by Peter King. Writing a good article is half about (or more than half about) figuring out what to write about. Richard wrote a fantastic piece on Christian Ponder but our Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett pieces got far more acclaim. Why? More enigmatic players.

I thinking not along the lines of King retweeting it, but that it would get read by someone in a front office somewhere. By King retweeting that article, people new to Draft Winds probably looked back at the previous articles and are anticipating the forth coming ones. This might also include scouting departments in several NFL front offices.

When it comes to the idea of a pass rusher at #15 I just find it difficult to screw with the current formula as it seems Mike Nolan is consistently a guy that likes to have one OLB be about an 80-85% rush guy and the other OLB be a half-n-half guy. Are guys like Aldon Smith and Robert Quinn really half-n-half guys? I don't think so. Nolan could switch the defense to where both guys rush but then that really stresses the defense elsewhere and it just might not be a good idea because honestly if you listen to guys like Greg Cosell who basically just locks himself up in the NFL Films vault and comes out once a year like a damn ground hog, the NFL is all about creatively finding ways to get pass rush with as few rushers as possible. If you have two OLBs in your 3-4 defense that are both full time rush guys, don't have a lot of versatility to their games, and so you're just rushing 5 men all the time...that can be a problem. And before you bring up the Pittsburgh duo keep in mind that both of those guys are about 60-65% rush guys, and I don't think you do that with a Robert Quinn or a Cam Wake.

So I just get paranoid about f-cking with the formula. There's a formula in place and it's working for us. Why f-ck with it? I can agree that adding some depth there would be pretty cool...but at #15? Not unless I'm planning on trading Cam Wake in for some really good compensation.

quinn can bend and dip as well as any pass rusher in this draft...i don't know how fluid he is in the hips though from a cod aspect or how comfortable he'd be in space...but as a pure pass rusher he'd put misi to shame...watching his pro day though he's looking more 4-3 end to me all the time

but don't sleep on this cat...may well be the best pass rusher to come out of this draft...dudes got some serious edge rush skills

if i was a 4-3 team looking for a pass rushing force at end i'd scoop robert quinn in a nanosecond...top 5 i'm not afraid...come on down big fella

As a 4-3 DE, I have Aldon Smith ahead of Quinn - assuming he returns to full health. If he doesn't, they're close enough that I give Quinn the edge.

When it comes to the idea of a pass rusher at #15 I just find it difficult to screw with the current formula as it seems Mike Nolan is consistently a guy that likes to have one OLB be about an 80-85% rush guy and the other OLB be a half-n-half guy. Are guys like Aldon Smith and Robert Quinn really half-n-half guys? I don't think so. Nolan could switch the defense to where both guys rush but then that really stresses the defense elsewhere and it just might not be a good idea because honestly if you listen to guys like Greg Cosell who basically just locks himself up in the NFL Films vault and comes out once a year like a damn ground hog, the NFL is all about creatively finding ways to get pass rush with as few rushers as possible. If you have two OLBs in your 3-4 defense that are both full time rush guys, don't have a lot of versatility to their games, and so you're just rushing 5 men all the time...that can be a problem. And before you bring up the Pittsburgh duo keep in mind that both of those guys are about 60-65% rush guys, and I don't think you do that with a Robert Quinn or a Cam Wake.

So I just get paranoid about f-cking with the formula. There's a formula in place and it's working for us. Why f-ck with it? I can agree that adding some depth there would be pretty cool...but at #15? Not unless I'm planning on trading Cam Wake in for some really good compensation.

I really agree with the general thought process hear. It seemed - though, and I don't have the stats to back this up - that we went to 4-down sets very often on passing situations (not only on 3rd down). With Odrick returning, I feel better about the idea of getting to the QB with Wake, Starks, Odrick, and Misi, but against a team like New England, where I feel we're in 4-down a lot (again, wish I had the stats to back this up), I can see that other edge rusher being worth a premium pick. The combination of those scenarios, spelling Wake, and having someone to groom behind Wake make it more enticing for me. But, at the end of the day, we NEED a QB. I'd only be happy with Quinn or Smith (I've almost posted two write ups on my man-crush for Smith) if it were just clear that they didn't like this QB crop - which doesn't seem the case.

Here's the problem with that. There aren't that high a percentage of downs when you need to put four down and just rush the hell out of a passer to where you're not all that concerned about other things. If I had to estimate I'd say maybe 20-30% of the time. If you're getting a Robert Quinn at #15, salivating over the idea of those two rushing the passer together, keep that in mind, we're talking like 20-30% of the time when they'd be the deadly pair.

The rest of the time (70-80%) you have to worry about what WEAKNESSES you're creating, when you put the two on the field together. If you're going four-down fronts on those downs with Wake and Quinn as your bookends, I think you're creating a hell of a weakness to the run game. You'd better be damn sure your defensive tackles, linebackers and strong safety are up to the task of covering for that weakness. And if your strong safety has to be involved you have to be damn sure your corners are up to the task of playing on an island all day. If you're going with your base attack more (the 3-4), then that's where the concern I already brought up comes into play...you have two guys that need to be rushing WAY more often than dropping, in order to be using them to their best...and so that means you have to be rushing 5 all the time from your base defense. And if you want to blitz your ILBs any significant amount in order to give the OL something to think about, you're rushing 6 players. Or you're just not rushing the ILBs. That becomes the Pasqualoni defense all over again...and I don't think you want that. I know Mike Nolan doesn't. He wants variation. He wants guessing. He wants to get as much rush as he can while dropping as many people back into coverage as he can.

This is a passing league and huge holes in the coverage net are easier to exploit given the state of the league and the way it's changing, than pressuring the QB with 5 or 6 players. It has its place, but it's very situational, needs to be creative (and you can't be creative if you have a bunch of "this guy has to line up over here and rush rather than drop to be effective" guys).

I'm against it.

I'm completely against the idea of having a Jason Taylor/Joey Porter situation. I agree with your defensive philosophy.

If your % evaluation is correct, I also agree that it's difficult to justify spending the 15th pick on an additional outside pass rusher. That said, I do think it'd serve us well to have someone to spell Wake. When you factor in the plays he needs off with the plays that an Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn would come in against teams like Green Bay or New England - or the importance of those plays against teams like Pittsburgh - I think you can begin to justify the selection. Aldon Smith especially gives you a lot of diversity as a pass rusher. The '09 Aldon Smith applies some of the quickest pressure I've seen from a prospect. He had a half sack more than Quinn that year, but I'd make a strong guess that he had more QB pressures and QB hits. On many occasions, I saw Smith apply immediate pressure on numerous occasions, where a WR would also break open and Smith would come just short of a sack. Smith also gives you versatility to rush from inside (as, now, numerous sites have noted). Those hands are devastating, and I like the way he tests an O-lineman's balance and lateral quickness on almost every play (being Tackle or Guard), and he bats a lot of balls down at the line of scrimmage. It's not just his length, either. He has a knack for closing the play - whether it's making a relatively difficult tackle in the backfield or timing his jump at the LOS. I just realized it, but I'd compare him a lot to a young Jason Taylor - but with more powerful hands, better inside rush moves, and the ability to add more weight.

End of the day, we need a QB, and the 1st pick should be spent on a QB - one way or another (as you've mentioned in the past). But, if it were between an O-lineman, a healthy Mark Ingram (doesn't seem to be the case), a Hankerson (or even a J. Jones), and A. Smith (or maybe R. Quinn)? I feel best about Smith.

A guy has to own the football field and play without fear to play at an elite level in this league.
Fix'd ? :)

The more I see of Mally the more I can see that, his fakes and just the way he handles the ball and himself.

On TJ Yates: I'm liking him as a 4th-5th IF we haven't covered QB by then. There was 1 thing missing, for me, in the closing interview on either yesterdays Path To the Draft or Inside the NFL (I forget which) with Yates head coach about the UNC pro day.

They gave the coach basically an open mike and a national platform to say whatever he wanted about any player on his team not named Quinn or Austin. He has a 4 year starting QB that he groomed in a pro style offense and he says basically nothing about him. No idea why, was just very odd to me.

Davis is a former NFL coach and what I'm left with is, what is he saying to NFL teams about Yates ? I would think if he was touting/pushing him TJ wouldn't be so "under the radar".

I'm with you on Yates going for it. I like the aggression and confidence. Discretion can and will need to be honed, like any other collage QB to 1 extent or another.

The more I see of Mally the more I can see that, his fakes and just the way he handles the ball and himself.

On TJ Yates: I'm liking him as a 4th-5th IF we haven't covered QB by then. There was 1 thing missing, for me, in the closing interview on either yesterdays Path To the Draft or Inside the NFL (I forget which) with Yates head coach about the UNC pro day.

They gave the coach basically an open mike and a national platform to say whatever he wanted about any player on his team not named Quinn or Austin. He has a 4 year starting QB that he groomed in a pro style offense and he says basically nothing about him. No idea why, was just very odd to me.

Davis is a former NFL coach and what I'm left with is, what is he saying to NFL teams about Yates ? I would think if he was touting/pushing him TJ wouldn't be so "under the radar".

I'm with you on Yates going for it. I like the aggression and confidence. Discretion can and will need to be honed, like any other collage QB to 1 extent or another.

His initial statement is accurate. It's a prerequisite to stay in the league - especially as a starter.

I would argue that a good case could be made of some starters playing scared. Esp if they get the crap beat out of them as rookie starters for teams with bad olines or bad oline injuries (whatever) for the 1st couple years.

Thinking "happy feet" syndrome here.

I'm not afraid of mistakes. I'm afraid of TOO MANY mistakes. But I'm also just as afraid of the unwillingness to make a mistake (ie. conservative throwing). A guy has to own the football field and play without fear to play in this league.

Yep, just ask Brett Farve. He had a pretty good career taking chances.

Evidently for whatever reason he was asked to throw 112 passes at his Pro Day...and he completed 110 of them.

You guys know me, you know I like Yates a lot. I consider him a guy that could absolutely become a franchise starter in the NFL.

I've been doing a lot of work on QBs and part of it is comparative work, putting clips up of similar throws from different players, which sort of highlights in your mind the difference between the players.

I have to say, Yates' footwork is FREAK-ISH. I mean downright FREAK quality.

What I found when I did my studies of QB releases was that if you measure the release from the lead-foot up, and then from the throwing elbow up, you obviously get different time readings. One is the full motion and the other is just the arm motion only.

Across the board, I found that guys with weaker arms tended to have more discrepancy between foot-up and elbow-up release times. In other words, Ryan Mallett's motion from lead foot-up would be something like 49 milliseconds, but his motion from drop elbow-up would be 43 milliseconds. But Andy Dalton, who has a much weaker arm, would be lead foot-up at 56 milliseconds (forget the exact numbers), and arm-up would be 41 milliseconds. The disparity between those (6 milliseconds and 15 milliseconds, respectively), would roughly correlate with strong-armed guys and weak-armed guys.

This is intuitive! I measured intermediate pocket passes with pocket rhythm. Guys with naturally weaker arms need their feet more to get the torque to drive the football, and it would only follow that would increase the time from when they start up with their lead foot and then start up their arm motion.

The exception? T.J. Yates. I don't think people accuse this guy of having a big arm, although sometimes you have to wonder when you see him throw the ball 55 or 60 yards thru the air with perfect ball placement on a vertical while on the run. But Yates had the SMALLEST discrepancy between foot-up and arm-up motions....of any QB I measured. His feet just move that fast and his weight transferrance is that efficient. He can shuffle and reset his feet inside the pocket, and then throw the ball like boxer punch, quicker than any player in this draft.

And he's ACCURATE. He's accurate short, and he's accurate deep. The problem is, in his ultra-conservative offense, you didn't see him throw a bunch of those intermediate sized 25 to 35 yard throws (thru the air, as the crow flies). You have to put together reams of tape to isolate enough of those throws to get a good sense for his accuracy. Luckily, nobody's ever accused me of being lazy, when it comes to Draft stuff. I've found that on those throws he has what I consider requisite accuracy, which is about 80 percent hitting the WR's hands.

And did I mention, he probably has THE most accurate deep ball in the Draft? Even more accurate than Newton or Mallett. When he played basketball, he was a star 3-point shooter. It shows in his deep ball as he drops that ball right in the bucket with great placement, timing and arc. I don't know why Chad Reuter seems on a crusade against high-arc deep balls. From what I've heard, especially from Sean Smith, quarterbacks are more prone to high-arc on their deep balls in the NFL, and hitting the outside shoulder, than in college.

He's a little over-aggressive, as TedSlimmJr has come to say, "The REAL T.J. Yates" shows up every now and then. He's referring to how in 2009 and prior, Yates did throw some interceptions.

He's an excellent game manager. That's not a bad thing. That's a good thing. He manages the clock. He manages situations. I don't know if there's a quarterback in this Draft that I would take over him if I had less than 2 minutes remaining with no timeouts and I needed to drive 50 or 60 yards to either get a touchdown or field goal to prevent losing the game. That's saying a LOT.

His dedication to the details is PHENOMENAL. Many times I mentioned in my initial scouting reports the name "Peyton Manning"...and as I did background on him, I found that he grew up and still is a diehard Colts fan, and has attended Manning Camp three consecutive years. What was he in charge of teaching the kids at Manning Camp? What else? THE DEEP BALL.

But you're talking a four year starter that has been thru ALL the ups and downs, kept fighting, fought thru adversity, all the hate mail, etc...and got BETTER. A guy that is accurate short, accurate intermediate and REAL accurate deep, a guy that is naturally aggressive but was harnessed by a conservative offense, a guy with FREAK footwork, the quickest release in the Draft, a dedication to the smallest of details, extremely hard worker, a leader, great game, situation and time manager...and this guy is so under the radar it's sickening.

Yeah, I've put Ponder above him. That hasn't always been the case. I do think physically Christian's top line is just higher as he's got more athletic ability and experience throwing the intermediate ball more often. You don't know if Yates is going to be a risky thrower again when he has to throw more aggressively again. That's the danger.

But I see Yates as like another Trent Green, similar footwork, similar effective deep ball.

It doesn't seem like many scouts agree with you.

Honestly I hope we've got a QB by then and I doubt we take two of them. But if we don't the Dolphins can dig part of their way out of my sh-t list by drafting Yates. :)

With Pennington tearing his ACL we could possibly be bringing in a couple of QB's through the draft, depending on who is available. I think Gabbert, Newton, and Mallett go in Round One. I think Ponder likely goes in Round Two, along with Locker, Dalton, and Kaepernick. I think Yates will be there in Round Three. Stanzi, McElroy and Enderle are probably 4th rounders or later and I probably wouldn't look at anyone else at QB this draft. Nice review of Yates. I never seen him in a game, just on film, but it looks like he throws a nice accurate pass.

Honestly that's just not the feel I got from his interview. What I got from it is, he was asked to compare T.J. Yates to Christian Ponder, who is basically a 1st round pick in this Draft, and he said that Ponder is definitely a little more athletic, but that T.J. Yates is smarter and more pro-ready.

Back
Top Bottom