T.J. Yates' Pro Day | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. Yates' Pro Day

Honestly that's just not the feel I got from his interview. What I got from it is, he was asked to compare T.J. Yates to Christian Ponder, who is basically a 1st round pick in this Draft, and he said that Ponder is definitely a little more athletic, but that T.J. Yates is smarter and more pro-ready.

Yates, to me, does more of the little things that seperate NFL success from failure. No one in this draft carries out the PA fake better than him. Actually I think very few in the NFL carry it out better than him. This is very important in the NFL as it can cause that little extra space between the LB"S and safety's. It also can open up the throwing Lanes behind the safties. His feet are quick in the pocket and he knows how to manipulate the pocket to buy sometime. He throws nicely on the move including going deep. He also seems, atleast this past year, very calm and poised when the game is place in his hands for the winning drive. He keeps his wit's about him better than his own coaches do. He does seem to remind me of a young Brady(pre-Moss)when he was his most effective. If we don't get Mallet in the first I don't see any other QB that I'd want to draft, perhaps Stanzi, but I'm just not sold on him yet!

I'm not afraid of mistakes. I'm afraid of TOO MANY mistakes. But I'm also just as afraid of the unwillingness to make a mistake (ie. conservative throwing). A guy has to own the football field and play without fear to play in this league.

Which is what Henne became.

He made conservative mistakes, unlike in 09 when it was mostly aggressive mistakes. That was the worst part about last year.

He can own the field with him arm, but a giant vagina took over for upstairs for him somehow.

He's so conservative by nature that he has to force aggressiveness into his game, and I think the coaches tried to force it into his thoughts with play-action passes which were generally more aggressive. He didn't react well to this.

The big problem with Yates I think is that quarterbacks like him have come and gone thru the NFL. These are guys that are super short oriented until they throw the deep ball. It's either super short or super long, and NFL defenses can defend that. They can squeeze it.

I just can't help but wonder, with his footwork being what it is, with his super-short work being as good as it is, and his super-long work being as good as it is...can he overcome that and threaten at all levels enough to be effective? The easy answer would be no, and that when he does start trying to do that, the interceptions that marred his career up until 2010 will return. Maybe they will, but maybe they won't.

Yates, to me, does more of the little things that seperate NFL success from failure.

I go back to Holmgren and Henning when evaluating QBs.

1. Holmgren is looking for "inate ability to deliver the ball." In other words, a natural passer. There is no one more natural in this draft than Mallett.

2. Henning said it best: With QBs it's a balance sheet between assets and liabilities. In other words, you can throw ints or make bad decisions, but you have to make up for those with big plays. It's a balance sheet between TDs, yards, and turnovers. Yes, mallett throws ints, but he makes big plays.

Others, like Yates don't make big plays.

Bump. Doing pretty well today versus the Falcons. Winning 10-3 on 10 of 17 for 154 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs passing. First career start and he's only a rookie.

yates or mallet should have been in miami this year

No, because RB is a much more important position to draft than QB. Just forget about the fact that late round and undrafted running backs make an impact also and draft one in the SECOND ROUND instead. :rolleyes2: This organization is so frustrating.

No, because RB is a much more important position to draft than QB. Just forget about the fact that late round and undrafted running backs make an impact also and draft one in the SECOND ROUND instead. :rolleyes2: This organization is so frustrating.
Not to mention trade up into the second round.

Gotta give credit to yates ...he just beat the second coming of manning/brady...

:lol:

Bump a thread when a QB plays well against a average pass d. God.

Bump a thread when a ROOKIE plays well and wins his first start against a winning playoff team, especially when that thread involves you talking about the guy in December of 2010, approximately 4 months before anyone in the mainstream even considered him draftable.

Bump a thread when a ROOKIE plays well and wins his first start against a winning playoff team, especially when that thread involves you talking about the guy in December of 2010, approximately 4 months before anyone in the mainstream even considered him draftable.

Maybe you will be right again with Weeden?

Yeah I know why you did. But I was expecting one of those great informative CK posts about Yates, not some lame bump, your slippin Ck :lol:

Back
Top Bottom