T.J. Yates' Pro Day | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. Yates' Pro Day

CK,
I was right there with you on Yates last year and I'm happy seeing this guy do well and will always be a big fan of his. What none of the experts never mention about him is how he dismantled an LSU team with Peterson, Claiborne, and Mathieu at DB. I don't know of many pro QB's who would attack that D with the limited weapons around them like TJ had that game. By the way I'm interested in seeing your right up on Cousins after watching film. I see someone who reminds me a little of Hasselback. Matt....not Tim

8vCKM-1.jpg

What a day Yates just had. Already looks like the second most impressive rookie QB after Cam Newton. Down 6 points, with 2:30 remaining, ball on your own 20 yard line, NO TIMEOUTS, and you execute a long TD drive to win the game? Are you kidding me?

And that drive was all T.J. Yates, too. It wasn't like someone else busted out with a big play that did all the work for him.

Fantastic. Texans may trade Schaub this off season.

Andy Dalton??

Glad to see Yates doing well so early in his career. He looks the part and the most impressive thing is he looks so comfortable back there.

Here's the NFL.com excerpt on the video for that drive: CINCINNATI -- Rookie quarterback TJ Yates led the biggest drive in Houston Texans history Sunday, throwing a 6-yard touchdown pass with two seconds left for a 20-19 victory over the Bengals.

"Yates Nothing short of Amazing"

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011121103/2011/REG14/texans@bengals#menu=highlights&tab=recap

C
lick on "Yates orchestrates game-winning 80-yard drive" in the video box to see the whole drive again

Andy Dalton??

Well, he pretty much out-dueled Andy Dalton in this game. Keep in mind the Texans didn't have Andre Johnson in this game, but Andy Dalton continued to benefit from the presence of A.J. Green, who is ridiculous.

CK clearly highlighted Yates as the value QB in the draft. Unfortunately, he again confirmed that he knows more than the so-called experts who are on the payroll. The Miami Dolphins need to recruit CKparrothead!

Glad to see Yates doing well so early in his career. He looks the part and the most impressive thing is he looks so comfortable back there.

Here's the NFL.com excerpt on the video for that drive: CINCINNATI -- Rookie quarterback TJ Yates led the biggest drive in Houston Texans history Sunday, throwing a 6-yard touchdown pass with two seconds left for a 20-19 victory over the Bengals.

"Yates Nothing short of Amazing"

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011121103/2011/REG14/texans@bengals#menu=highlights&tab=recap

C
lick on "Yates orchestrates game-winning 80-yard drive" in the video box to see the whole drive again

It's a drive worth seeing. He didn't do everything 100% right, at one point as I recall he took a sack and he needed to get that ball out...but it was SO reminiscent of that LSU drive to end the game where they only came up short because Zach Pianalto dropped two consecutive passes in the end zone.

I kept thinking about that during the game as I saw him battling from behind by 9 points. I kept thinking if they get this to a one score game and they get into a final drive situation, watch out...because I thought T.J. Yates was the best 2 minute situational quarterback in last year's draft, and I kept thinking of that LSU drive. Sure enough, 2:33 remaining, no timeouts, no Andre Johnson, 80 yards to go, needing 6 points....and he does it. I kept thinking well, 4 down territory should help execute this drive. But, he never even got to a 4th down. He converted all the 3rd downs.

It's a drive worth seeing. He didn't do everything 100% right, at one point as I recall he took a sack and he needed to get that ball out...but it was SO reminiscent of that LSU drive to end the game where they only came up short because Zach Pianalto dropped two consecutive passes in the end zone.

I kept thinking about that during the game as I saw him battling from behind by 9 points. I kept thinking if they get this to a one score game and they get into a final drive situation, watch out...because I thought T.J. Yates was the best 2 minute situational quarterback in last year's draft, and I kept thinking of that LSU drive. Sure enough, 2:33 remaining, no timeouts, no Andre Johnson, 80 yards to go, needing 6 points....and he does it. I kept thinking well, 4 down territory should help execute this drive. But, he never even got to a 4th down. He converted all the 3rd downs.

And he's only going to get better...

This is the difference between Miami and some of the other teams that are prepared to spend a 5th round pick that might be good value. Texans were seemingly set at QB but still prepared to look for additional value in developing a prospect.

And he's only going to get better...

This is the difference between Miami and some of the other teams that are prepared to spend a 5th round pick that might be good value. Texans were seemingly set at QB but still prepared to look for additional value in developing a prospect.

I couldn't agree more.

that was a heck of a final drive yesterday by yates...what the heck happened to ponder yesterday??? benched for joe webb...yikes

that was a heck of a final drive yesterday by yates...what the heck happened to ponder yesterday??? benched for joe webb...yikes

Injured. He entered the game with a bad hip strain and I read reports of him going out during warmups to test it out, and the reports said he looked uncomfortable at best. I thought for sure that meant he wasn't going to play, and indeed several people reported he wasn't going to...but then for some reason, Leslie Frazier decided to play him anyway. He was clearly uncomfortable the entire game and he faced a Lions team that was anxious to get their losing streak behind them. I watched that entire game simultaneously with some other games and the 1st quarter of that game was an absolute onslaught.

Frazier made a mistake putting Ponder out there hurt even after he showed he wasn't comfortable in pre-game warmups. But, the alternative was Joe Webb...so I can see why Frazier might have been stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one.

The thing I admire about that final drive of Yates' is again the embrace of the little things that I talked about a lot back when I first wrote scouting reports on him. Take that 3rd & 15 scramble for a 1st down. He just made a fantastic play. Earlier on the drive Kevin Walter makes a good catch on a good throw by Yates and what does Walter do? Throws the ball to the ground, even though his team is in 2 minute mode with zero timeouts and the clock working against him. But on this 3rd & 15, you see Yates scramble pretty shockingly for the 1st down and as he's getting up, what does he do? He runs back to his players so that he can get them lined up properly for a clock play, but before he did that he placed the ball firmly on the ground so that the officials could collect the ball and get it spotted as quickly as they could with zero extra delay from having to collect a loose ball. This is a rookie. SMART. Acting like he's been there before. Basically, because he has. He executed 2 minute drills in college that I've rarely seen even in the pros.

And then on the final drive it wasn't just a throw to Kevin Walter as he slanted into a vacated space over the middle. Yates used his eyes to sell defenders before he threw that slant. That means he knew before the play what was going to be open, and he executed perfectly after the snap.

This guy's got a future.

CK clearly highlighted Yates as the value QB in the draft. Unfortunately, he again confirmed that he knows more than the so-called experts who are on the payroll. The Miami Dolphins need to recruit CKparrothead!

All the TV heads have NFL fans thinking "who is this t.j. yates guy?" Well, anyone here at Finheaven who follows the draft knows about Yates because of CK. After watching CK's QB videos before the 2011 draft, i knew he had more potential then any QB on the phins roster. When Shaub went down i told my friends forget Leinhart, watch Yates when he gets his chance.

I know i thanked you guys before but, thanks again to CK, Slimm, hoops, Jim, GM davenport etc. You guys have have made the offseason and draft as enjoyable as the regular season for me because of scouting like this. Heres to hopefully getting Matt Barkley.

As awkward as this is to admit, when I really dug into Matt Barkley, a guy that Slimm has been talking about since at the very least right around the time I first started talking about Andrew Luck...but the part of me that fell in love with Yates is the same part of me that loves Barkley so much.

I hate to call them similar players because Yates went in the 5th round and I'm sure quite a few people are still very skeptical that he's actually any good, and so a comparison of Barkley to Yates would be evidence to them of Barkley's being overrated. However, I do see a lot of similarities. Barkley handles pressure better and is more accurate, less prone to bad decision-making. Yates was better timing the deep ball, was better in 2 minute/hurry up/high pressure situations, and had a firmer grasp on pro style passing concepts.

i knew ponder had a hip pointer that had him questionable going in...didn't know it was the injury that got him pulled...thats much better than going to joe webb cause ponder was stinking up the joint

Back
Top Bottom